Fenix PD20

Asthmatic

Newly Enlightened
Was thinking of buying a Fenix PD20 for an EDC light, but was not sure about other competitors. Im looking for a bright/powerful light, with good throw, and in the price range of 50-60 dollars or less. I was wondering if there are any other brands that have a light out like this that is cheaper/better than the above.

jtrucktools34

Newly Enlightened
Skip the Fenix!

I would go for the Quark123 in stead!

I have both and the Quark Rocks :thumbsup:

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I have owned the PD20 for approximately two years. Were I to lose it or if it were to become inoperable, I would replace it with the Quark 123. Build quality is comparable between Quark and Fenix, but I find Quark's "moon" mode, which the Fenix lacks, to be extremely useful.

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
I've owned the PD20 (Q5 version) for about 8 months. Here are my feelings:

PROS:
• Very small, even for a single-CR123 light. Bezel diameter is just a hair over 20mm, and the entire length of the light is about 80mm. Plus there is an even narrower part in the middle for a very secure and comfortable cigar-hold (proper term?).
• Pretty throwy with a tight hot spot, yet decent spill.
• Anti-roll design.
• Easy UI, with just the right amount of modes and outputs.

CONS:
• Don't like reverse clickies. But that's what you get with Fenix.
• No clip. I don't even know if anyone makes a clip that would fit the PD20 Q5.
• The beam profile is a little ringy.
• Mine has a tiny piece of something stuck to the side of the emitter that shows up as a little dark artifact (proper term?) when shining up close on a wall.
• Non-removable head. I could maybe fix the above problem if I could get to it.

All in all, I like this little light, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive, pocket-thrower with a pretty good UI.