Olight M21 vs 4sevens Maelstrom

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I just got a M21 in the mail and have put it through some tests, and I am very please to say the least. The thing I was wondering, was that 4sevens have just released their maelstrom. I am wondering how these two lights would hold up when put against each other. I know that they have different LED's, but their output range (OTF) is very similar. What do you guys think, which would you purchase and why?

By the way, my Maelstrom is on its way! :D

Thanks!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that you will probably be more impressed with the g5's output compared to the m21.

The reason I say that is because the smaller die of the XP-G LED will look much brighter and throw farther then the m21's SST50 because of it's larger die. The other benefit to the G5 is that it will consume less energy while producing the same amount of light.

red02

Enlightened
Could be wrong, but the SST50 has higher surface brightness than the XPG and will throw equally with the same reflector.

That being said the G5 over drives the XPG and at that current the smaller die might be brighter and the reflector is specifically designed for throw. G5 should have the edge at distances greater than 100m.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found these charts on Selfbuilt's review and this definitely shows what I thought would be true, and the sample he had for his review was pre-production and the final pieces should be brighter.

G5-Summary-1.gif

G5-Summary-2.gif

G5-Summary-3.gif

red02

Enlightened
There has been no confirmation in review or by 4sevens that the shipping production G5s are in fact brighter. Chances are that it wont be improved.

I'll agree that the G5 will out throw the M21 beyond 100m. But the M21 will probably have much more output. Those charts show 1m lux before the beam for throwers converge and are not indicative of the true throw potential of -any- thrower. For example the TK40 gets much more lux @ 1m than say an G5, but the G5 will reach further.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been no confirmation in review or by 4sevens that the shipping production G5s are in fact brighter. Chances are that it wont be improved.

I'll agree that the G5 will out throw the M21 beyond 100m. But the M21 will probably have much more output. Those charts show 1m lux before the beam for throwers converge and are not indicative of the true throw potential of -any- thrower. For example the TK40 gets much more lux @ 1m than say an G5, but the G5 will reach further.

Ok, I should have said may have more output in the final version.

If you look at the ceiling bounce test the reading from the meter does show that the output from the g5 is greater with two cells.

For example the TK40 gets much more lux @ 1m than say an G5, but the G5 will reach further.

True, but we are not talking about the TK40 and the TK40 puts more OTF lumens then both of the lights we are discussing. Let's just stay on topic.

The M21 500 lumens are emitter lumens not OTF.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Nitroz;3465041 The M21 500 lumens are emitter lumens not OTF.[/QUOTE said:
Yes, that is why in my original post I said that they have about the same output ( Out the front that is.) I will say the M21 is not meant to throw a beam as far as possible, it has a brighter but wider beam than the M20. I think the G5 is more meant for throw, but both are similar size, weight, and marketed towards the same people.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I happen to have both. tk40 throws further.
I tried them out last night.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is why in my original post I said that they have about the same output ( Out the front that is.) I will say the M21 is not meant to throw a beam as far as possible, it has a brighter but wider beam than the M20. I think the G5 is more meant for throw, but both are similar size, weight, and marketed towards the same people.

Yup, it all depends on what you like more throw or flood. In your case it does not matter because you bought both. :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happen to have both. tk40 throws further.
I tried them out last night.

The way people have raved about the TK40 I wonder if it might be one of the best implementations of the MC-E LED?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you guys think, which would you purchase and why?

Well I did get sidetracked and never answered your question.:ohgeez:

I won't be buying either the m21 or the G5. The reason being is that I have enough lights similar in performance and I'm waiting for the S1200.:popcorn:

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
I think I'd rather have the M20s. I would like to see lux readings on it compared to Maelstrom though. With an XPG led in it they should be similar I'd think.