The "House" Flashlight

andrewnewman

Enlightened
When I was very young my parents moved from Long Island to rural southern Maine. The winters were cold, power outages were frequent and it was a long drive to "civilization". In the front entrance room to our house we kept (among other things) the house flashlight. It was an Eveready "Big Jim" lantern with a sealed beam incandescent bulb attached to a giant 6 volt lead acid battery that weighed as much as a motorcycle battery.

This was the flashlight you grabbed for a late night run to the wood pile for more firewood. It was also the light that came on first when the power went out. A "funny" noise in the barn or garage was investigated with this lamp. Also it was used during the frequent winter blizzards to check on neighbors.

40 years later as a middle aged homeowner I have begun to consider what a modern incarnation of the "house light" might be. I have a healthy collection (no surprise!) of AA and CR123 based EDC type lights as well as some well worn 3 D-Cell Maglites. None really qualify, however, as a "house light".

The modern house light by my formulation should produce a wall of floody light but also be able to run for extended periods of time should the power go out. The light should be rugged, waterproof and reliable and run on easily found batteries (those giant 6V batteries with the screw terminals were available at every hardware store in Maine in the late 1960's and early 1970's). Finally a modern house light should have some form of beacon of flashing light for emergencies.

My first shot at this is a newly acquired Fenix TK-45. It seems pretty well suited. Anyone else maintain a "house light"? What is your description and what is your choice from the many excellent modern LED lights available?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My house light is a Quark MiniAA Warm tint; it's quite the diminutive contrast to the Big Jim beast, but it's brighter than a 3D Mag on high, will last over two days on low, and the warm tint is cozy and welcoming, especially when used in ceiling bounce mode. And it does indeed have two beacon modes, along with an auto-SOS. All for only $37 (not counting your CPF member discount), free shipping..

ztm

Banned
I plan to put a beefed up drop in in a 2c Maglite for this use but the drop ins are perpetually out of stock. Some day.

I like the 2c because it is big enough for the older hands in the house. I guess a 2D could work as well but just figured 2C was a good compromise.

tolkaze

Enlightened
My dad's house light is still something like a plastic 2D... its actually the energiser hardcase 4xAA light. Incan still, but he won't upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't have a "house light" I have a light for (nearly) every occasion

ztm

Banned
I have tried to standardize my relatives with one battery type and good output but they all are the kind of people who don't worry about anything until it is too late. They have 10 different lights...all crap quality...all different batteries...and they never change them or have batteries for them. Drives me nuts. I just went through a pile of lights and radios etc last week and half were ruined by leaky old batteries.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
ours is a 6 X D maglite (painted bright orange) with a 600 lumen terralux dropin.

sits right by the front door

tint and beam arn't the best, but i can find it in 0.001 seconds and its bright!

:grin2:

ztm

Banned
ours is a 6 X D maglite (painted bright orange) with a 600 lumen terralux dropin.

tint and beam arn't the best, but i can find it in 0.001 seconds and its bright!

I have an old 5D laying here from the old days and I was trying to decide if I wanted to bother spending any money upgrading it or not. It's just so huge and heavy! Times have sure changed.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's mine. Sometimes I have to chase the kids down to get it placed back in the charging dock, but she sure is a great house light.

inova.jpg

MWClint

Enlightened
I have 2 house lights.
Nitecore PD20 with a High CRI Neutral Seoul for the everyday stuff and a 6D P7 Mag D2DIM+DWB. The mag will last several weeks if not months on its lowest with 10000ma lsd nimh. The Nitecore stays on my wife's nitestand and the
mag is in the upstairs hallway. at nite my edc, plus a few low power aaa
lights sit on my nitestand.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Y

Plus you can use it to bash an intruder's brains in!

sabre7

Enlightened
My house light is a 4D Mag with SSC P4 Terralux drop in and NiteIze LED stored in the tailcap. The Mag/Terralux provides plenty of throw for spotting things outside, the NiteIze provides days of bright ceiling bounce runtime for power outages. The 4D also has obvious defensive uses, and the forward clicky switch has momentary on and signaling capability.

Also have several D to AA converters to run it on AA power since D batteries fly off store shelves during extended power outages. A PakLite & a couple GIUs round out the power outage runtime lineup.

Last edited:

Reaper

Enlightened
Way back when, we didn't have any lights designated as "house light" even when we had frequent earthquakes and tornados. Of course this when I was a kid so I didn't know much or had any say in the matter. Now-a-days I STILL don't have any "one" light designated as such but I do have a stash of 6P's all equipped with Malkoff's. My EDC, which covers everything including "house light", is my Malkoff MD2/M61.

My software geek son-in-law relies on his Home Depot Husky light. That's all he needs ---thinks he.

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Hitthespot, that's a great setup you got there. I think one of those newer rebel maglite 3d led's would do well.
They're 104 lumens, and it has a runtime of 72 hours. I know 104 lumens isn't anything crazy, but for a working house light that is plenty imho.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hitthespot, that's a great setup you got there. I think one of those newer rebel maglite 3d led's would do well.
They're 104 lumens, and it has a runtime of 72 hours. I know 104 lumens isn't anything crazy, but for a working house light that is plenty imho.

I think 100 lumens is plenty for a house light. Actually the Inova is only 30-40 lumens on low. Plenty for an all night power outage IMO.

Bill

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My family has too many house lights. :)

My Wife
2D Red mag aspheric with skull crusher SS bezel
2aa Minimag with UV led for bathroom inspection duty :)

Mine
Tan Fulton industries with XP-G r5
3D Mag Seoul p7
Surefire yellow g2 with red/orange XR-E drop in
CMG Infinity for extremely long running
Quark mini123

Oldest son
Quark mini123
Nuwai ALX-111 upraged to XR-E

Youngest son
Solarforce L2m with r5 XP-G

I have others that get cycled out, but this is what is in use at the moment.

Cole07

Enlightened
Rebel Mag 3D and Surefire G2 with KX4. And various others of course. Those are my go to. The Surefire for inside the house and the Rebel Mag for spotting things at a distance outside.

Burgess

Flashaholic
We bought one of those Eveready Big Jim sealed-beam Lanterns (with Red Flasher)
in the late 1960's. It certainly served us well, for Decades !

Still have it, too. But it is no longer a "go-to" light.

Better Choices abound, now-a-days.

Like WHAT, you may ask ? ? ?

Well, the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon gives a LONG reach spot,
and yet doesn't need a 20+ Dollar Battery to power it.
Easily fits into a coat pocket, too ! And takes Rechargeable Eneloops.

This is a Great Thread idea ! ! !

:twothumbs
_