Duty light advice, please.

FiveO

Newly Enlightened
I am a Deputy Sheriff and I just transferred from CID to Patrol as the LT.

I won't be working tons of night shifts but enough to want a good light on my belt. Of course, I know that illumination is important during day shifts too...

We are issued rechargeable Stingers and I have a Streamlight TL-2 and an old Surefire D-2 but I was thinking about this: http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug3lkitledf.html . I like the extra cells on the belt and the new SF LED head is supposed to be impressive. The combo seems like a reasonable deal as well.

What say ye? Any other suggestions? There has to be a duty belt capable holster for whatever light I get.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I am not a Sherriff or Peace Officer: I do have an Justice Studies B.S. and enjoyed learning the metrics and respect all you who are in it.

When I shine my lights into a car (experimental and for test purpose) I can emitt an insane amount of light into the cookpit of a car/vehicle with super thrower optic lights. Optics offer a super tight beam with usefull spill.

Surefire TiR optics offer the best IMHO and if you can get a hold of AaronM, Milky, or Nailbender to put an XR-E R2 direct drive in an L1 or L2 you will find the most intense hotspot to blind suspects. You will also be rewarded with usefull spill. Bigger lights will offers this too, but I have yet to find it in P60 D26~D36mm lights.

Readily available lights that are small (18650 size) which offer blinding lux and usefull spill are the Dereelight DBS MC-E 2.1A driver with OP reflector.

bigC

oliussw

Newly Enlightened
It is a good light no doubt but too big for comfortable belt carry for me especially with the battery storage on the holster. It is a 3 cell light at 6.5" long. I prefer a smaller 6v light and carry a Eagletac T20C2 on duty at the moment. Maybe check out the G2 or P6 LED offerings from Surefire if you like that brand.

I work hoots and have never drained my T20C2 yet. Of course I also have an issued SL-20X for a primary light and also a TLR-1 on my Glock.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider all the options available with the Peak Night Patrol:

IMG0002-2.jpg

http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Night Patrol.html

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a good light no doubt but too big for comfortable belt carry for me especially with the battery storage on the holster. It is a 3 cell light at 6.5" long. I prefer a smaller 6v light and carry a Eagletac T20C2 on duty at the moment. Maybe check out the G2 or P6 LED offerings from Surefire if you like that brand.

I work hoots and have never drained my T20C2 yet. Of course I also have an issued SL-20X for a primary light and also a TLR-1 on my Glock.

+1

I was going to suggest the Eagletac T20C2 MKII as well it's a well built light extremely bright and can use 18650 rechargeable battery. Simple high/low twisting the head and also a low by twisting the head back and forth quickly.

T20- http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-3-6861

Runs off cr123 just fine but here is the charger and batterys if interested.

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=5-6-6671

07gttom

Newly Enlightened
i would have to say the jetbeam III military/LE flashlight with a sure fire v71 holster. fits like a glove. good runtime on high and you can set the secondary level to whatever you choose/like. i also have the eagle tac t20c2 mkII. it is brighter then the jetbeam (provides more spill, but less throw IMO), but does not feel as solid nor does it look/feel like a better built light as the jetbeam, plus it does not fit very good in the above mentioned holster.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drop a Malkoff M61 into your D2 and find a holster you like for it. Surefire has some good ones, and I use a Wilson Combat bezel-down holster that'd fit it just fine.

Markcid84

Newly Enlightened
I carry an OLight m30 triton clipped in my bdu leg pocket, and a SR90 in my patrol car, just in case:twothumbs

ToNIX

Enlightened
I'm going to recommend a M61, with the host of your choice (yes, I'll recommend the Malkoff MD2!).

I'm also a LEO. Used the TK11 at first, super thrower. Found the hotspot to be too bright, although the spill is usable.

The M61 has a good combination of both. The MD2 is small and indestructible. I carry it on my belt with the Ripoffs CO-30 holster.

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
you got room for that on your belt? oh, forgot you're an lt. I carry an lx2 in my pocket and that works for me. about 145 with surefire le discount. i would carry a few extra lights in your bag. when you roll up on a scene a good portion of the issued stingers aren't charged a loaner from the boss will get the point across.

ryang

Newly Enlightened
One is none, right? Have you considered a larger main light and small (2x CR123) backup? The Pelican 8050 is hefty which can be good or bad depending on how you use it. Big plus there is you can swap out its rechargable battery for 4 C-cells. Handy in Katrina situations where you're in-field for extended durations. The smaller "backup" can be left on low-power mode for writing cites.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican 8060 is hefty which can be good or bad depending on how you use it. Big plus there is you can swap out its rechargable battery for 4 C-cells. Handy in Katrina situations where you're in-field for extended durations.....

That is an excellent point. A great rechargeable light that charges in the cradle AND can be readily swapped for commonly available non-rechargeable batteries. I only have a Pelican 7060, but I think the big brother 8060 is an excellent product.

Latest posts