5 LED 1200 lumen module

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I don't have beam shots, but thought I would let you guys know that the DX 5 LED 1200 lumen module that sells for about $34 is great. I just finished modding a maglight for land use and it is brighter with more punch than a P7 or an MCE. I got the multimode one just to play with it and see how I like it... The beam is pretty clean without all the funkiness of the other multimode modules DX sells. I tried the 3-led and the 800 lumen 5-led and beam was good but kind of weird. This one has a nice hot spot with spill.

So far, I have made a 12W HID Maglite, a P7, an SST-90 aespheric and the DX 5 LED. I like them all. They are all direct drive except for the 5-LED which has its own driver in it.

I'll try to get some beam shots soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockit

Newly Enlightened
Re: DX 5 LED 1200 lumen module

Do you think it would make a good beam for a dive light?
I was thinking of using that module for an easy canister light build.

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened

Hi

im using this 5 modes module with a reed switch and a polulu switch for my girl friend and it work quite well. Its a bit less powerfull than a sst-90 with 44mm aspheric, but gf dont really like the square partern.

I Should not use a reed with multi-mode in diving, having to step tru 5 mode is a bit annoying
if you want more run-time, use bigger battery

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi

im using this 5 modes module with a reed switch and a polulu switch for my girl friend and it work quite well. Its a bit less powerfull than a sst-90 with 44mm aspheric, but gf dont really like the square partern.

I Should not use a reed with multi-mode in diving, having to step tru 5 mode is a bit annoying
if you want more run-time, use bigger battery

Yes, it's a great beam for diving... And yes, I agree with the SST-90 with aespheric. The square beam, is annoying! But, it is bright... I do prefer reflectors over aespherics, cause I like spill.

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened

Hi

Beamshots should look like this
Picture was took 9ft from wall, lamps and picture
I dont know well my new sony cyber-shot ... tried setting close to what others use here. Picture intended to show beam patern.
Setting on manual, daylight balance, ISO200, 80 thing, F3.5

Dx 5x-R2 left, SSR50 6500k + Dx aspheric 44mm direct driven CENTER, SSR90 5700K Dx aspheric 44mm direct driven RIGHT

DX-5xXre--SSt50-65K--SST90-57Ksmall.jpg

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool. Next is the sst50 for me. It's actually brighter than the 90 it seems!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes it does "seem" brighter. But both are direct driven an no mention of current is given. The 90 could have a much higher Vf there for not drawing as much current.

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened

Beamshots should look like this
Picture intended to show beam patern.
Ssr50 is 65k and SSr90 is 5700, maybe setting are a bit worng,

SSR0 battery were hot from charger, in fact, the 14ga wire that bring power to headlamp was feeling a bit hot. It use 4 new 18650 protected ultrafire 2.2Ah parallel cells. Also, the 8 parallel cells on the sst90 are old portable cells recycled. New one are on the way i wish some better result with them.

the beam of the dx module is nice, but i dont like shifting from mode to mode in water, add to this that a reed switch, sometime toggle 2-3 time Vvvverry quickly, so i dont recommend using the 5 mode on a dive light with reed

wquiles

Flashaholic

...but i dont like shifting from mode to mode in water, add to this that a reed switch, sometime toggle 2-3 time Vvvverry quickly, so i dont recommend using the 5 mode on a dive light with reed

+1

I seem to be in a minority here in the forums when it comes to drivers with "modes", but I still prefer simple drivers. In my humble opinion if you have to explain or show anyone (not familiar with flashlights) how to operate a given flashlight, or if you have to go through multiple switches/button presses to get to what you want/need, the usability of the light has been impaired. I guess I am still old-fashion in that I like either ON/OFF, or maybe OFF/LOW/HIGH (no SOS, no strobes, no "signaling to the Aliens" mode, etc.) :D

tnathletics2b

Newly Enlightened

Do you mind posting the link to the module? I searched for it on DX and couldn't find it. Thanks!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Single mode
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35241

On the search bar type (Cree MCE) for some reason it doesn't show up otherwise! There are a few to choose from 3LED 5LED 800lm 1200lm, etc...

And yes, for my lights I am a 1 mode type of guy, I have no use for strobes and crap that I won't use. Balls to the wall high is the only mode I need. Just add batteries for run time if you are worried about making the light last 5 hours.

H20doctor

Enlightened

i built a light for a client with the same lens ... it kick major A** its bright , throws nice , and has lots to offer the DIY light builder
4296058486_5f2b18e026.jpg

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

i built a light for a client with the same lens ... it kick major A** its bright , throws nice , and has lots to offer the DIY light builder
4296058486_5f2b18e026.jpg

That looks nice, H2O... Is that a plastic light head or aluminum? Delrin can?

H20doctor

Enlightened

the light head is Abs sch 80 ... it runs off a Reed switch and it tripped by a Magnet in the goodman handle ..

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened

What are you using to power the DX 5 LED 1200? According to the specs, it's 8.4V (2.6~8.4V). Are you able to feed it 9.6V (8x1.2V) or will it burn out the LED?

Will you get a further throw using aspheric lens? I thought I saw a 5 aspheric lens on DX but I can't seem to find it now.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

What are you using to power the DX 5 LED 1200? According to the specs, it's 8.4V (2.6~8.4V). Are you able to feed it 9.6V (8x1.2V) or will it burn out the LED?

Will you get a further throw using aspheric lens? I thought I saw a 5 aspheric lens on DX but I can't seem to find it now.
Note that you will get over 10 volt off a fresh charge