EcoSmart 40 watt LED

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've talked about this bulb quite a bit already, and it's one of the few retrofits that passed the Dept of Energy's Caliper certification. What we need are more hands on reviews, but in any respect it's a big step in the right direction.

Your picture tends to show it can't compete with 40watt incan, but it might be just throwing more light forward.

waxking1

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm going to use the EcoSmart bulbs in a few places in my new house. This chandelier will be between 12 and 16 feet high and I'm getting too old to climb up and change bulbs. Even though it will cost $300 for the bulbs, it will save money because I won't have to pay someone to come out and change bulbs.

The one with the arrow is an EcoSmart. The colors in the picture aren't exactly accurate. It looks a little dimmer but if you look at the ceiling above it is actually providing more light than the 40 watt clear incandescents in the other fixtures. The incandescent look just a bit redder through the globe. My wife likes the color of the EcoSmart better.

EcoSmart1.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/waxking1/Ecosmart.jpg

Last edited:

lostsoul01

Newly Enlightened
I just replaced the 14W CFL on my porch light with one of these. While it is a quite a bit less bright, there's also none of the bugs! It was so bad before you didn't want to go in the front door because the bugs would fly in too. Now you don't see any. Finally, I buy an LED bulb the wife actually compliments instead of rolling her eyes! :)

The only drawback is the CFL was a Philips Dusk to Dawn bulb, with the night sensor built in. Now I'm back to turning it off/on by hand. The fixture has one of the motion sensors, but it doesn't work at all, just always on.

But of course that has nothing to do with how great the bulb is!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have one of the Ecosmart bulbs in a desk lamp next to the computer and I use it when I'm up late at night and I don't want to have the entire room lit up. The 3000k color temperature is quite pleasant and it's more than bright enough for a desktop work lamp.

So far this lamp seems to be a winner in it's niche. :thumbsup:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish HD in Canada (or someone...) would carry these at a comparable
price, as I'd like to try one. I'm still running some Sylvania 2W E26 MR16
spot and A19 bulbs, so far so good.

I just replaced the 14W CFL on my porch light with one of these. While it is a quite a bit less bright, there's also none of the bugs! It was so bad before you didn't want to go in the front door because the bugs would fly in too. Now you don't see any. Finally, I buy an LED bulb the wife actually compliments instead of rolling her eyes!
is!

Far Side fans might recall a cartoon(**), the moth coming home late night
and all battered up. His wife is scolding him coming through the front
door "Good Heavens look at you, you've been down at the Ferguson's
porch light again, haven't you!" (or words to that effect) :whistle:

Dave

** favourite second only to the one about the lions who killed a
Tofudebeast, but where spitting it out..

Last edited:
Home Depot now (in my area) carries these bulbs in store.

I have bought 4x of them- 3x in one downlighting fixture and one over the sink.

First, they've replaced 3x 60w tungsten bulbs so they are producing less visible light. Most of the ceiling is now dark, however, due to the bulbs being fairly directional.

So far I like the results.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Home Depot's $20 EcoSmart LED light: What's inside?

I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

11-13-2010 08:43 PM #11 PhotonWrangler

Today I had an ecosmart lamp sitting on a table when I bumped it and it rolled off, hitting the carpet and shattering the glass bulb. (Why does it have to be glass?)

The only upside to this is that it allows me to see the LEDs inside. There are two large round multichip LEDs with an 8mm active area. Each one has a bare silicone coating, orangeish in color, and there appears to be 6 chips in each one arranged in two rows of three each.

I plugged it into the wall and then unplugged it so I could see the individual chips as they dimmed out as the capacitor discharged, and I noticed that at least two of the individual chips were dead.

Powering it up without the globe produced an extremely floody pattern.

I might be able to mount this light inside of a globe lamp to protect it and still have a usable lamp.

-----

11-13-2010 09:18 PM #12 deadrx7conv

I wonder what happens to the color, lumen, and the CRI, without the glass portion.

I'd definitely recycle the bulb by putting it into an enclosed globe/mushroom type fixture.
Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it.

-----

11-13-2010 09:32 PM #13 PhotonWrangler

The glass was neutral density frosted, so I don't think there's much of an effect on the color of the light.

-----

11-14-2010 10:38 PM #14 yuandrew

The price has gone down to $17.97 last I checked. They were 18.47 when I first bought two a month ago. I've since gotten a third one last Wednesday to add to the two I already have and have not noticed any lumens depreciation between the month-olds ones and the new one.

Anyway, despite the shape, the light produced is still somewhat directional; going "away" from the dome so I find they work best in ceiling fixtures or a ceiling fan light kit with sockets that points downward. It'll also work nicely in a drafting table or "Luxo" type desk lamp. Putting it in a table lamp results in the majority of the light shining up at the ceiling.

egghead2004

Newly Enlightened
Re: Home Depot's $20 EcoSmart LED light: What's inside?

I have 2 of these in my basement. They are on a dimmer in a wall sconce. They dim nicely, but the color temp stays at 3000k, where an incan gets more yellow/red. No humming, no flicker like the CFL dimmers...those things are not worth it, they barely dim before they flicker and black out.