Malkoff MD2 vs Surefire LX2

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Recently got the Malkoff Turnkey MD2 with Hi/Lo bezel ring and M61 Dropin. Don't have the Surefire LX2...yet. To those who are lucky enough to have both, how do they compare?
I have an old E2e incandescent and the L4 Lumamax (my first LED light by the way) to hit the market for comparison but the LX2 seems to be a big hit.
I know the mantra. Eventually I'll probably cave in. But it sure would be nice to see some head to head comparisons before saving up and taking the plunge!
Edit: By the way, I've recently been converted by rechargeable AW lithium batteries and the 18650 compatible Malkoff MD2 body was the clincher in my personal decision between the two.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
I'll have to respectfully disagree with RWT1405, although I do understand where he's coming from, as I own several Malkoff lights and drop-ins, and they are amazing. I also own an LX2, and it is one of the few lights I would never be without. The MD2/M61 and LX2 each have their strong points, here are the comparisons that come to mind:

MD2/M61
- 18650 compatibility (also runs in regulation with an M61)
- beautiful smooth beam from the M61
- lego-able with all of Malkoff's P60 dropins
- can be converted to single or dual-mode

I will reach for my M61 when:
- I want free lumens
- I want a smooth, beautiful beam
- I need a lot of light with great spill at medium range
- I need an indoor light to light up a room

LX2
- thinner (but longer) profile fits in pants pockets better IMHO
- belt clip and lanyard attachment. I use the belt clip quite often
- much more throw than an M61 beam (at the cost of some beam artifacts though)
- again IMHO, the best dual-mode operation available via the 2-stage tailcap
- as I understand it (I'm no expert), an optic is able to send light out the front of the bezel without much lumen loss, whereas a reflector will tend to have slightly lower efficiency. In other words, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, an optic will give you more out the front lumens than a reflector. Keep in mind, I'm not saying the LX2 is brighter than the M61, they're too close to call when I look at mine.

I will reach for my LX2 when:
- I want a LOT of throw for a very small package
- I want something to keep in my pockets with little fuss
- I plan on needing a low mode (does not apply to your setup)
- I am going outside

Both of these lights are amazing, but they are different. IMO, the beam characteristics, size/shape, and switch operation makes them different enough to give them sometimes different, and sometimes overlapping uses. If I absolutely had to pick one, it would be the LX2, probably for the extra throw and shape of it in my hand. But, I love my M61, and you can never go wrong with either.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
LX2 and M61 have nothing in common besides the fact that both are awesome and both are two-stage lights (only if you have the two-stage ring in your MD2, of course).

LX2's beam shape is very similar to that of incandescent E2e. Just imagine that at 200 lumens and you've got a good sense of what it's like. It's also fairly throwy.

LX2 is also much slimmer and easier to pocket. LX2 is similar in size to E-series lights but a bit longer and a bit thicker.

Hard to argue which UI is better. I love the UI on the LX2 but the MD2 with its hi/low ring and clicky ain't no slouch, also quite fantastic.

In other words, typical CPF mantra. Buy both. Both are fantastic, both are worth owning, and both are too good to call one better than the other. There is also little "need" for one when you already have the other, but we both know CPF is not about "needs" after the first or perhaps second light.

Where the LX2 excels is in pocketability. Where the MD2 excels is the fact that the M61 has the best balanced beam of any flashlight or drop-in I've ever used.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
LX2's beam shape is very similar to that of incandescent E2e. Just imagine that at 200 lumens and you've got a good sense of what it's like. It's also fairly throwy.

Now THIS is intriguing! Have'nt read the LX2 compared in just that way before. I take your other points wholeheartedly about pocketability and the UI. (It's a one handed UI unlike the Malkoff.)

By the way Carrot, :wave: , good to hear your cogent analyses on all things EDC.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
You got the best of the 2. Save your money on the LX2 & buy a second Malkoff.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Too late my friend! I already have the MD2/M61L. Alas, they are still out of the Hi/Lo bezel ring as of today.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not sure if the LX2 is for you, check out the Marketplace. There is always someone selling a preowned light that you can buy to play around with. If you feel the LX2 is not for you, you can always sell it because someone else would definitely want it. :D

BTW those Malkoff hi/lo rings are available wherever Malkoff lights are sold, just check around. UniqueTitanium carries them.

Besides, why would you want another MD2 when you have the Wildcat option with the Hound Dog coming on the horizon? :devil:

civic77

Newly Enlightened
The LX2 and MD2/M61 are my two favorite lights. They complement each other in my opinion. The LX2 definitely throws better but to echo Carrot, the M61 probably has the most useful beam I have ever seen. I love it.

One thing no one seems to ever mention is putting a F04 on a LX2. Its only $14 and turns the LX2 into a fantastic flood type beam. The LX2 beam with the F04 on it is very nice cause there is almost no glare from a hotspot so useful for up close work. If you want a thrower take the F04 off and light up the trees down the block, it's like having two lights in one.

jp2515 is right, there are always LX2's on sale in the marketplace, you can usually pick up an excellent condition one in the $140-160 range. If you don't like you can just sell and loss a minimum amount on the light. Also its not recommended by Surefire but I run AW Rcr123a in my LX2 with no problem. Both are great lights though.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Also its not recommended by Surefire but I run AW Rcr123a in my LX2 with no problem. Both are great lights though.

Now THAT's interesting. Any heat issues? Do the AW protection circuits mean the light just goes off without warning at some point? Any idea on runtime? Does anyone have any idea about Surefire's LED product line's input voltages?

carrot

Flashaholic
No, yes, I'd guess a bit over half the usual runtime on primaries, nobody knows for certain and Surefire ain't telling. Assuming 17670 fits (I haven't tried) I would assume it a better choice for runtime.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
All depends on what you want.

I LOVE my "old" L2 with it's "floody" beam. It is useful & beautiful (to me anyway). The "newer" TIR (no/limited "spill") beams from SF are not useful, for me anyway.

The M61 series is a "useful" beam (again for me) as opposed to the TIR "play" beam that is useless for anything other then "throw", and no, I am not going to put a filter on a light to make it "useful" for 95% of what I use a light for, but then I use my lights for work, not as a "play toy" (unless you have a use, other then "play/showing off" for the "throw").

My .02 FWIW YMMV

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
I have both (but only the single mode MD2) and reach for the MD2 every time when walking the dogs.

Initially, I wasn't a fan of the MD2, but with real world use in lighting up trails at night, its the one i want. It is true that the LX2 will throw a little further, and it is a little slimmer. My belt clip thankfully broke off, and I haven't missed it, and would've broken it off regardless.

And, its ok to ask a question without the silly "read-deep pockets" swipe.

carrot

Flashaholic
You really wanna have a sweet EDC, though, put a M61 in a VME head and screw that onto your L4 or E2E body. I carry this frequently.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
All depends on what you want.

I LOVE my "old" L2 with it's "floody" beam. It is useful & beautiful (to me anyway). The "newer" TIR (no/limited "spill") beams from SF are not useful, for me anyway.

The M61 series is a "useful" beam (again for me) as opposed to the TIR "play" beam that is useless for anything other then "throw", and no, I am not going to put a filter on a light to make it "useful" for 95% of what I use a light for, but then I use my lights for work, not as a "play toy" (unless you have a use, other then "play/showing off" for the "throw").

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Now THAT's some useful info! Thanks RWT1405. "Throw" is simply not the end-all/be-all it once used to be for me personally. When the SF E1B first came out, I thought it was the best light from Surefire ever. Then after getting the 1xCR123A T1A, I found myself using and appreciating that "Spill" beam more and more.
It's why I jumped into the Malkoff drop-ins with both feet. I do prefer the newer M61's to the older M60's. I'll fess up. Hi, my name is Lord Bear and I AM a flashoholic. Currently I have 2 M61, 2 M60, 1 M61L, 1 M60LF. 2 M31's coming this week. Still considering the M61LL in an E1e body with VME head. I think it's forward voltage and low 150 ma drain would work well with an RCR123 battery. Of COURSE I have hosts for all of them. I'm conflicted on the Hound Dog but absolutely lust after the Wildcat.
Anyhoo, thanks RWT1405 for helping to firm up my opinion. LX2 is something I'll probably end up getting down the line. Just not a priority item anymore.

Last edited:

Lord Bear

Enlightened
I have both (but only the single mode MD2) and reach for the MD2 every time when walking the dogs.

Initially, I wasn't a fan of the MD2, but with real world use in lighting up trails at night, its the one i want. It is true that the LX2 will throw a little further, and it is a little slimmer. My belt clip thankfully broke off, and I haven't missed it, and would've broken it off regardless.

And, its ok to ask a question without the silly "read-deep pockets" swipe.

You're right. OP editted and silly swipe omitted.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
You really wanna have a sweet EDC, though, put a M61 in a VME head and screw that onto your L4 or E2E body. I carry this frequently.

Yup, I screwed that. ;) It IS sweet.
(I wonder since the E2E body is over ten years old, whether an AW 17670 would fit. The R/CR 123's DO rattle in it.)

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Lord Bear, hear is a recent thread about RCR123a in a LX2:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/241138

I don't know about runtime as I recharge them often after but some are saying a little over an hour. Surefire isn't recommending so there is a element of risk using the higher voltage.

Concerning running on 17670s, I had a E2DL that I bought on the marketplace that was bored to accept 17670's and came with two AW 17670's. I don't have any 17670's now but I'm assuming they don't usually fit in the E2DL/LX2 if mine was bored to accept them. The runtime is probably comparable to or slightly better than primaries but the draw is it will probably be about 60-70% as bright as on primaries.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Thanks civic77. Apparently the LX2 CAN do the 2xRCR123. Since I won't be getting it for awhile, I'll be able to keep an eye out for any long term issues. It's a bummer that 17670 means lower output though.
For Malkoffs, rechargeable lithium nominal voltages is a whole 'nother ballgame! I've searched and found that most SF E2's and E1's won't accept the 17mm dia. rechargeables. They have a constriction point that needs to be bored/sanded first. But before I jump into a whole NOTHER lithium rechargeable, I'll give Malkoff's MD hosts and perhaps Oveready some serious consideration since I already have plenty AW RCR123's and 18650's.
I ordered the M61LL today since it will run well on a single RCR123. I intend to use E1B body/Z68 tailcap/VME head/M61LL combo. All black from end to end!