4Sevens build quality, could use better quality control

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
For the longest time (actually, since 4Sevens started making flashlights), I've expected/hoped that their build quality would be on par with Fenix. However, after about 10 purchases, and half as many refunds, I still feel that their build is definitely not on par.

4Sevens really does innovate in terms of technology, offering what we want (neutral/warm tints), etc. There's no doubt about that.

However, a Quark AA^2 R2 had pretty bad anodizing (chipped or thinned parts). I also tried to switch heads with a Quark AA and AA^2, to realize that it didn't work because the tailcap was too long that it couldn't physically make contact with the un-anodized part of the tailcap. And of all the Quarks I've tried (about 5 or more), the rings were always too tight that they'd often be pushed out of the threads, and get squished/cut as I tightened.

The first Mini AA I bought was greenish tint. Can't blame them. So I got another one, and that was fantastic! I'd say the BEST built light I've ever bought. Solid, smooth--just perfect. Not a single thing I could complain about. So recently I bought another Mini AA (aluminum too), and it had significant play in the thread--like, at least 1mm, and that's a lot (about 1 full twist's worth). Though I really wanted neutral white, that Mini AA is going straight back to 4Sevens. So is the Quark AA^2 NW. This AA^2 has overly tight threads and O-ring, plus a gritty thread (of course, could be cleaned), poor electrical contact as seen by the flickering/turn-off when I twisted to a certain part (about a quarter turn from tight, on the head) or pushed it at an angle.

And for the UI, I kinda don't like how long it takes to reset. It claims 3 seconds, but I've tested and measured up to 5 seconds, and even if it was precisely 3 seconds, it's kinda too long. However, this is part of the specs, so there's not too much I can complain about.

As for Fenix? I've had a few in the past--and although things like their LED centering, beam pattern aren't perfect, the build has always been top notch. Their anodizing is very solid, thick, and nice--and seems somewhat better than 4Sevens, though I can't say for sure. However, other things like anodizing near the edges is always very high quality. All threads are smooth, clean, and feel great. And all in all, it just works as predicted. No flickering, thread play, poor fit, etc.

I really appreciate 4Sevens as a dealer, and as an innovator. I absolutely love my Mini AA, and just ordered a Quark AA^2 Tactial NW (for the NW--but if Fenix offered the LD20 in NW, I'd probably pick Fenix as of now). I do expect to have to do some cleaning/relubing, but for NW, it's worth it. By no means do I intend on bashing 4Sevens, but rather hope to express my experience so far, and hear what others have to say.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not. If placed in the dealer forum, people would say "this is a sales thread, not a place to complain, take it to CPF" I've owned 3 or 4 Mini123's (forget how many) I find the best tint, threads, and combine them into one good light. Gift the rest. They are fantastic little lights when you make it all come together. Kinda sad that is neccessary. I also have two Ti Mini CR2's. Both have gritty, scratchey threads. Waiting for Christmas on those. Non-Flashoholics don't mind. A real shame that they cannot get quality product out the door. That goes for the Maelstrom's too. When will it ever get out on the market is the question. I don't see a bright future as "the company to give Surefire a run for their money" as some have suggested. No Way. You don't get many chances to build a company on quality. A number of bad products in the first few years and you get branded a "cheap Chinese flashlight company" They may indeed introduce some great lights, but they are on the edge of getting branded "cheap"..... if not already.

Last edited:

kazkut

Newly Enlightened
sorry if off topic.. this reminds me of the movie "Greenberg".

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think CPF members buy Quark lights and expect Surefire quality - they are not even close. I agree with the OP regarding the cutting edge emitters & other unique innovations offered by some of the Quark products. But they are targeting Joe public who responds to two main things: 1. Max Lumens & 2. Price.
(the opposite to Surefire).

James...

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people do have the opinion that they are as good as SF build wise.

I certainly don't, however.

I gave up on the 4sevens lights a while ago, when everyone that I recieved had the same or similar issues.
Switches going strange, thin ano, over the top UI's and a few other issues.

The Maelstrom is being advertised as the next greatest tactical flashlight for LEO... I really don't feel that it is so.

Less = more, mode wise.

I also simply don't trust the build of the 4sevens lights. That is my opinion and I will stand by it.

I did some testing with one of my quarks on concrete, and was not really pleased with the results.

I'll stick to Surefire & Malkoff for my tactical lights.

jupello

Enlightened
Maybe I got lucky, but the only Quark I own (123-t XP-G R5) has good anodizing, nice tint and right size O-rings.. and I'm generally happy it. :)
I wasn't that lucky with my Fenix L0D Q4 tho - it has ugly green tint and almost 1-turn of headplay. :sigh: ..so Fenix lights are not free of those problems either.

Last edited:

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
To the OP.

4sevens (a small company) has be producing flashlights for what? About a year & a half?

This is compared to fenix (a much larger company) who has been producing flashlights for over 12 years or so.

Something tells me that when Fenix started out they had QC & UI problems.

As has been said many a time is the quote "Good things take time".

I am sure that as they find out about problems with the product or manufacturing they endeavor to fix them & make the product more reliable.

NightKids

Enlightened
I own both Quarks and Fenix and I can honestly say that Quarks are way behind in quality than Fenix. The anodizing is a great example, Fenix is just way stronger and also the feel of the Fenix is heaps better. It just feels heavier and sturdier.

I think the closest Chinese company to rival Surefire is definately Fenix. My TK10 feels real tank, as strong if not stronger than my Surefire C2

Egsise

Banned
4Sevens uses the latest leds and have great ideas like legoability and 0.2 lumen moon mode,
but i must say that for me 4Sevens Quark AA neutral white limited edition was enough.
The neutral white led and low low is definitely something that want in a flashlight, but the build quality is below Fenix.

I find myself often leaving the Quark in a shelf or taking it as a backup and using my LD10 Q5 for most of the time,
the threads are smooth and tight and ano is top quality.
The cool white beam has rings and the low mode is blinding for dark adapted eyes, but at least it doesn't flicker Quark.

Last edited:

Egsise

Banned
4sevens (a small company) has be producing flashlights for what? About a year & a half?

This is compared to fenix (a much larger company) who has been producing flashlights for over 12 years or so.
I thought that first Fenix was manufactured in 2005, not 1998..

GreySave

Enlightened
My personal feeling is that some of the 4Sevens lights fall a bit below Fenix in terms of quality while others are on a par. 4Sevens leads in innovation and trying to please us by providing special runs with emitters that many other manufacturers would not touch for fear of getting stuck with unsold lights.

While they are very good lights for the dollar they are certainly not on a par with Surefire, Streamlight, or others that cater to those who truly need and use tactical lights, but one should not expect them to be at this price point. The Maelstrom may be an exception as it is clearly aimed at that market.

In fairness to 4Sevens I think there has to be a little give and take in how we view his products. At this price point I can live with a light that is not perfect within reasonable bounds, and thus far I have not been disappointed.

carrot

Flashaholic
Some people do have the opinion that they are as good as SF build wise.

I certainly don't, however.

I gave up on the 4sevens lights a while ago, when everyone that I recieved had the same or similar issues.
Switches going strange, thin ano, over the top UI's and a few other issues.

The Maelstrom is being advertised as the next greatest tactical flashlight for LEO... I really don't feel that it is so.

Less = more, mode wise.

I also simply don't trust the build of the 4sevens lights. That is my opinion and I will stand by it.

I did some testing with one of my quarks on concrete, and was not really pleased with the results.

I'll stick to Surefire & Malkoff for my tactical lights.
Agreed that 4sevens build quality isn't quite up to spec with Surefire... but then again who can compete?

On the other hand I enjoy 4sevens lights is for their innovativeness, cutting edge LEDs, and programmability. I have a heck of a lot more Surefires than 4sevens, but I sure do like being able to reprogram my flashlight on a whim. IMHO they are not 100% perfect but they sure do put out a compelling product and I'm happy to own a couple.

recDNA

Flashaholic
For the longest time (actually, since 4Sevens started making flashlights), I've expected/hoped that their build quality would be on par with Fenix. However, after about 10 purchases, and half as many refunds, I still feel that their build is definitely not on par.

4Sevens really does innovate in terms of technology, offering what we want (neutral/warm tints), etc. There's no doubt about that.

However, a Quark AA^2 R2 had pretty bad anodizing (chipped or thinned parts). I also tried to switch heads with a Quark AA and AA^2, to realize that it didn't work because the tailcap was too long that it couldn't physically make contact with the un-anodized part of the tailcap. And of all the Quarks I've tried (about 5 or more), the rings were always too tight that they'd often be pushed out of the threads, and get squished/cut as I tightened.

The first Mini AA I bought was greenish tint. Can't blame them. So I got another one, and that was fantastic! I'd say the BEST built light I've ever bought. Solid, smooth--just perfect. Not a single thing I could complain about. So recently I bought another Mini AA (aluminum too), and it had significant play in the thread--like, at least 1mm, and that's a lot (about 1 full twist's worth). Though I really wanted neutral white, that Mini AA is going straight back to 4Sevens. So is the Quark AA^2 NW. This AA^2 has overly tight threads and O-ring, plus a gritty thread (of course, could be cleaned), poor electrical contact as seen by the flickering/turn-off when I twisted to a certain part (about a quarter turn from tight, on the head) or pushed it at an angle.

And for the UI, I kinda don't like how long it takes to reset. It claims 3 seconds, but I've tested and measured up to 5 seconds, and even if it was precisely 3 seconds, it's kinda too long. However, this is part of the specs, so there's not too much I can complain about.

As for Fenix? I've had a few in the past--and although things like their LED centering, beam pattern aren't perfect, the build has always been top notch. Their anodizing is very solid, thick, and nice--and seems somewhat better than 4Sevens, though I can't say for sure. However, other things like anodizing near the edges is always very high quality. All threads are smooth, clean, and feel great. And all in all, it just works as predicted. No flickering, thread play, poor fit, etc.

I really appreciate 4Sevens as a dealer, and as an innovator. I absolutely love my Mini AA, and just ordered a Quark AA^2 Tactial NW (for the NW--but if Fenix offered the LD20 in NW, I'd probably pick Fenix as of now). I do expect to have to do some cleaning/relubing, but for NW, it's worth it. By no means do I intend on bashing 4Sevens, but rather hope to express my experience so far, and hear what others have to say.

I've had a few of the same issues but the key to me is the customer service. 4Sevens customer service is on par with Surefire on anybody else IMO. If you need to return something you get a complete refund - none of this rip off 15% restocking fee nonsense that some dealers saddle you with. I had to return an aluminum mini for service. Despite the fact that it is a very inexpensive flashlight they still fixed it and returned it within 30 days in working order. I think it was replaced actually but as long as the new one works I don't care.

I've never seen a deal as good as the titanium Quarks before or since. Ya, the tint was green but try to find another titanium flashlight with the newest bin (nobody else had R5 at the time) for the price they were charging. The only trouble was they stopped making them!

I hope their Maelstrom catches on because I'd like to see 4Sevens prosper. The first XP-G thrower I had ever heard of. I agree the UI may kill the project but we'll have to wait and see. Some people like it.

carrot

Flashaholic
That's true, with 4sevens you get premium customer service at non-premium prices.

As for Fenix I have issues, but that's neither here nor there and I do not want to get into it.

What really seals the deal for me on 4sevens lights are their excellent pocket clips. I won't carry lights without them.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both sides of this thread have good points. Personally, I think 4sevens offers cutting-edge technology at great prices. That said, the Quark's I've been receiving lately are definitely NOT the same quality as the one's I received in the past.

Some of my cool-whites are as close to perfect as I could ask for. The warm whites are quite good as well. But this latest run of neutrals.. I dunno. The moment I took it out of the package it just felt and handled differently than previous Quarks. Anodizing wasn't as nice and there was chipping on the positive terminal in the head. Lube was thick and sticky, taking significant force just to get the head to turn (on a new NW light, not one that's been on a shelf for a year).

I still buy from 4sevens at a feverish rate and don't plan on stopping soon, but on the topic of quality control, I think they're slipping a little lately. I've got my fingers crossed that it's because their business is expanding so fast they can barely keep up. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think considering the price, availability, and quick service the 4Sevens lights I've seen and own are some of the best deals around. Sure they're not quite up there with the better lights in some respects, but, for me, they don't need to be. I'll probably be replacing it with something new in six months anyway.

Geoff

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with most of what everyone else is saying. I love my Quark, but I had to return the head for exchange to get a good one. 4sevens innovation and price is good. Quality control needs much improvement, even if it meant slightly higher prices. I think they should bring there manufacturing on shore and sell true "made in USA" lights and most of there quality problems will go away. For the most part, I stay away from the made in China crap lights because most all of them have issues including 4sevens.

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
Interesting thread.

Glad this stuff is getting discussed. I think the occasional Quark purchaser (me) finds it easy to read this forum and conclude that Quarks are the Holy Grail of flashlights.

FWIW, my Mini AA neutral (first run Q3 5A) seems flawless. My new Preon 2 warm, on the other hand, I am less happy with. Love the beam, but IMO the switch is clunky, and the finish apparently got altered from earlier runs and is too slick for comfortable handling. Not sure if these are quality control issues or design decisions, but either way, could use some attention.

On the other hand, the price-point makes sophisticated products accessible to people (me again) who are not going to spend a hundred dollar bill on a light. I am glad 4Sevens is in the market, just hope they try to get rid of bugs as well as explore possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.