LD15 - EZAA

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I can't make up my mind which one to buy between these two. Done enough reading, and can't seperate them - so I now have to be TOLD which one to buy.

Fenix LD15 or Nitecore EZAA?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't make up my mind which one to buy between these two. Done enough reading, and can't seperate them - so I now have to be TOLD which one to buy.

I am going through a similar think,had my heart set on the Nitecore D10 but not keen because of the problems some members are having and tossing between your 2 and now leaning more to the LD10 or the Lumapower Flashlights: Incendio V3 R5.At the moment the LD10 has my vote,but still toying.

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an EZAA to compare but I do have the Fenix LD15.

I liked these refinements with the Fenix:

very high quality anodization
smooth threads for easy operation
ultra clear lens is very nice
very efficient regulation
nice tint and smooth reflector gives a clean smooth beam pattern
2 well spaced brightness modes
anti reverse polarity feature
thick high quality o-ring

One thing that could be improved on the LD15 is the knurling on the head which is not as aggressive as the knurling on the body.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going through a similar think,had my heart set on the Nitecore D10 but not keen because of the problems some members are having and tossing between your 2 and now leaning more to the LD10 or the Lumapower Flashlights: Incendio V3 R5.At the moment the LD10 has my vote,but still toying.

Trust me mcnair55, not buying a D10 because a couple members had issues is a serious mistake on your part. If you review all the D10 threads on this site (here is a good place to start) you'll find it's a forum favorite that's tried, tested and true. I've EDC'd a D10 Tribute every single day since I got it and I can't praise it's operation enough. Out of dozens of 1xAA lights I own, it's the only one I leave the house with every single day.

That said, the LD10 is what I carried before I had my D10 and it's a great little light. The soft-click UI is a pleasure to use, the threading in the head/tail is smooth and strong, and the light feels sturdy in your hands. I expect it'd survive a fall better than my D10. It has a good beam tint and is plenty bright. I hate the clip - it's the worst of any light I own (in my opinion).

Having owned, carried and used both extensively, the D10 is my recommendation.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't own an EZAA so can't offer an unbiased opinion. Just got my LD15, so here's my initial impressions:

good:
- solid build quality, nice anodizing and smooth operation
- excellent beamshot despite the smooth reflector
- brass ring (always visible when battery inserted) looks very elegant

bad:
- hard to operate with one hand as knurling is not all that aggressive
- I REALLY don't like that it comes on High -> Low

really bad:
- when this light is empty, the head will screw down entirely, hiding the brass threads. When a battery is inserted, it will no longer do that. There is only one thing that's keeping your head from screwing down entirely, and it IS the battery. That scares me a lot. I don't want to hand this thing to a friend who's unfamiliar with flashlights and have them crank it down, crushing the battery inside. I know to stop when I hit resistance (even if it does feel a bit weird on a twisty to stop before it's done rotating) but I know people who wouldn't stop, they'd power right through that resistance. To me, this is bad design and it's the reason I won't recommend it to non-flashaholics.

Overall it's a nice little light. I've heard the EZAA UI is a bit easier to understand, but this one uses newer parts and is available for a good price. Let us know what you decide!

Kingfisher

Enlightened
really bad:
- when this light is empty, the head will screw down entirely, hiding the brass threads. When a battery is inserted, it will no longer do that. There is only one thing that's keeping your head from screwing down entirely, and it IS the battery. That scares me a lot. I don't want to hand this thing to a friend who's unfamiliar with flashlights and have them crank it down, crushing the battery inside. I know to stop when I hit resistance (even if it does feel a bit weird on a twisty to stop before it's done rotating) but I know people who wouldn't stop, they'd power right through that resistance. To me, this is bad design and it's the reason I won't recommend it to non-flashaholics.

This could be a clincher, I really don't like the sound of this.

Thanks to those who have kindly responded....but I'm still struggling :mecry:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could be a clincher, I really don't like the sound of this.

Thanks to those who have kindly responded....but I'm still struggling :mecry:

Not trying to scare you out of it Kingfisher, just offering my experiences. The fact that it's such a battery crusher caught me totally off-guard when I opened the package - I wish I'd read about that before buying it. That's why I'm telling you, so you know before you get it too. :)

It's not a bad little light at all otherwise. Nice and solid, good construction, feels good in the hand and throws a good amount of light. Newer components mean better output and longer runtime. In my personal opinion: get both. BatteryJunction has EZAA's on sale for $35 right now and LD15's for $41. That's cheap and once you decide which you like better, you can sell one on the MP or to a friend.

Good luck!

Monocrom

Flashaholic

It's all about the differences in their User Interfaces. The EZ AA U.I. is simplier, and turns on in low-mode first. If you need more output, just keep twisting the head. Makes a good EDC light. And is ideal for handing to a non-flashaholic friend during a blackout or emergency.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's where I got mine from. Perhaps Matt was having a clearance sale?

BTW, couldn't be happier with it. It gets very hot, but not uncomfortable to hold if you run it on high for longer than a couple of minutes. But that just means it does a very good job of drawing heat away from the emitter.

This is the type of light that would be ideal for someone used to a Mag Solitaire, willing to put up with a bit of extra thickness, and wants a high-mode for those times when a full-sized flashlight is needed but not at hand. With the gift tin, it would make a nice gift for a non-flashaholic. Best part is, it works well with an e2 lithium primary.:thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If your thinking with the EZAA is to keep it small I think the QMiniAA is a better alternative. I have both and much prefer its performance. Size differences are negligible.

Geoff

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Let us know what you decide!

I decided on the 'revised' Nitecore mainly because of the screwdown issue you mentioned. Also the 'camera mount' and a couple of extra lumens swayed me. I know it's an older peice than the Fenix, but I'm happy.

I will post some pretty pics when it comes.

Thanks to all who took time out to reply.

AAROSOL

Newly Enlightened
I decided on the 'revised' Nitecore mainly because of the screwdown issue you mentioned. Also the 'camera mount' and a couple of extra lumens swayed me. I know it's an older peice than the Fenix, but I'm happy.

I will post some pretty pics when it comes.

Thanks to all who took time out to reply.

Hey Kingfisher, where did you purchase your EZAA? I've been looking for a new one but they seemed to be sold out everywhere. Thanks!

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Hey Kingfisher, where did you purchase your EZAA? I've been looking for a new one but they seemed to be sold out everywhere. Thanks!

I'd like to know too.... I read somewhere that the EZAA was recalled by Nitecore due to some sort of problem.

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain " *Fuzzy* accurately describes my memory these days" Zero

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just checked a couple of places that used to have them in stock just a few weeks ago. Wow! Sold out.

MarketPlace is usually a good bet if you really want a specific light. Just make a Want To Buy (WTB) topic.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me mcnair55, not buying a D10 because a couple members had issues is a serious mistake on your part. If you review all the D10 threads on this site (here is a good place to start) you'll find it's a forum favorite that's tried, tested and true. I've EDC'd a D10 Tribute every single day since I got it and I can't praise it's operation enough. Out of dozens of 1xAA lights I own, it's the only one I leave the house with every single day.

That said, the LD10 is what I carried before I had my D10 and it's a great little light. The soft-click UI is a pleasure to use, the threading in the head/tail is smooth and strong, and the light feels sturdy in your hands. I expect it'd survive a fall better than my D10. It has a good beam tint and is plenty bright. I hate the clip - it's the worst of any light I own (in my opinion).

Having owned, carried and used both extensively, the D10 is my recommendation.

And now I am glad I am avoiding the D10,too many problems on another thread also,so no serious mistake on my part.

Latest posts