Jetbeam        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 18650's Care and Maintenance

Default Re: 18650's Care and Maintenance

Is it harmful in any way to charge lithium batteries to around 90% such as 4.1V before using? I always feel better under charging them a little to keep the stress levels down, but I don't know for sure if I am doing the right thing.

Silver Moderator

Hello Klrman,

If you don't need the capacity your batteries will reward you by giving you improved cycle life. No problem at all.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Flashaholic*

It's beneficial - not harmful - to use shallower depth cycles. Further gains can be had by centering cycles around the half-full point (e.g. using 10% - 90% region) since this minimizes the time the cell spends at extreme voltages (where accelerated degradation occurs). See this post (and its links) for much further discussion (including charts and studies). I meant to update some of that info (and simplify it a bit) but - alas - a moderator locked the thread.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 05-18-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello Klrman,

If you don't need the capacity your batteries will reward you by giving you improved cycle life. No problem at all.

Tom
    Hello SilverFox,

Thanks for the reply. Great, I was always hoping it was a good idea to do so, but it feels much better knowing for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    It's beneficial - not harmful - to use shallower depth cycles. Further gains can be had by centering cycles around the half-full point (e.g. using 10% - 90% region) since this minimizes the time the cell spends at extreme voltages (where accelerated degradation occurs). See this post (and its links) for much further discussion (including charts and studies). I meant to update some of that info (and simplify it a bit) but - alas - a moderator locked the thread.
    Thanks for the info Gauss163, I going to read it all and try and absorb everything. I got my MC3000 recently and will make it work for me as much as possible.

Am I correct in assuming, do not use the "Charge Test" on the Opus C3100 for a 18650 battery?

Thanks

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ktate749 View Post
    Am I correct in assuming, do not use the "Charge Test" on the Opus C3100 for a 18650 battery?
    Shouldn’t be a problem.

It’ll just do a charge, discharge, and charge again, giving you information about what capacity you got during discharge.

Also, see here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%2...V2.1%20UK.html

(Disclaimer: I don’t currently own this charger)

Flashaholic*

Doing an occasional deep cycle to test capacity isn't going to cause much extra degradation to an optimally managed cell (as long as the capacity tests amount only to a small fraction of the number of equivalent full cycles)

Looking at the data sheets for my Panasonic and Sanyo 18650 batteries, they have a value of 3.6V for the "Nominal Voltage". What are they referring to?

Thank
    ktate749
    Last edited by ktate749; 06-27-2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Incorrect punctuation.

Flashaholic*

Looking at the data sheets for my Panasonic and Sanyo 18650 batteries, they have a value of 3.6V for the "Nominal Voltage". What are they referring to?
    The nominal voltage basically just means that’s roughly the voltage they spend the most time at during discharge. You charge them to 4.2V, but it drops much more quickly down from there, than it does from 3.6V.

It’s basically just the same as car batteries having a nominal voltage of 12V, yet you charge them to 13.6V or 14.4V, depending.

Thanks terjee clears it up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234