Are bobcats dangerous?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's been some sightings of Bobcats in my condo community. We have a great wood trail through the woods and I saw one running across the road near where the trail begins.

Police say there have been sightings, not sure if one or multiple bobcats.

A quick Google search shows that they are not pack animals and rarely attack humans.

So, should I be concerned walking in the woods at dusk/sundown? (duh! what other time would I walk in the woods - gotta make use of those lights) If I ever come across one any recommendations as to what to do?

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
You'll probably be fine. Bobcats aren't much larger than housecats. Maybe start packing heat on your late night strolls. :rolleyes: Honestly though, maybe a large stick if you are concerned.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bobcats are very dangerous to small furry woodland creatures. I've tracked a rabbit through the snow, the rabbit track was eliminated by an intersecting bobcat track and then there was no more rabbit track through the snow. :)
I've always found tracks of solitary cats.
I'm not concerned about them at all when I go walking through their territory. You are much bigger than their ideal prey...and they'd have a hard time pouncing out from under a bush and carrying you off by your throat.
Now big cats, for example, the cougars, they may hunt their larger prey from a tree, and the big cats lunge for the throat from an overhanging branch. So the big cats are viable threats to humans, but the smaller cats, like your bobcat, they'd have a very hard time trying to attack an adult human.
Carrying a tool (weapon) may do a lot to ease your mind. If you purchase a decorated one (e.g. a walking stick with metal pronged point, decorative leather thong, embossed or engraved or stained or painted) you'll disguise its intention and other walkers/residents will consider you a very civilized preson. If you do any private martial training with it, so much the better. Proper adults may carry a cain or a walking stick while only children get away carrying a stick or a fallen branch.

My $0.02, flashlight is not going to offer tactical assistance - there is a very good chance you would not be alerted to the precense of a stalking cat. Two nights ago, I was up at my mother's 'house on a lake' and at midnight I was a few kilometers into the woods with my excellent M@g64, but really the flashlight was just there as a soother for me.

Last edited:

Curias

Newly Enlightened
No need to worry, they are very skittish animals. I feel lucky when I am able to see them at all. They hunt things the size of rabbits and smaller, humans are far too large to be considered prey.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course if you corner one or crawl into his cave, a bobcat will defend this perceived invasion of territory/attack..duh.

but out in the open, on a trail, just look big and noisey and yes carry a stick..

I encountered one a few times near my house, the last time he just sat and stared at me for a minute then walked calmly by me, not straight towards me, but at an angle..it was still scary, they're bigger than house cats..it was so calm, I thought maybe it had been a pet at some time..

another time I saw him make a ten foot leap into a thicket and come out with a rabbit in his mouth..!

they're beautiful animals

as for the big ones, read about the encounters online, you'll see the attackee never sees it coming, so, if you see the big cat first yell at him "I see you you big cat, so please don't chew my a------- off" or something like that and you'll probably live to tell the story..

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys - good common sense. There's not a lot of people who use the trail in general and some must wonder who that whack job is walking around with bright flashlights late at night.

I've seen deer, raccoons, a skunk or two, something that ran up a tree in from of me and starred at me, rabbits and a few other ground animals, etc. Nothing to really scare you off but when your out in the forrest at night by yourself you realize that the woods belongs to the animals at night and you really should be somewhere safer.

I think a nice fallen stick will suffice for protection for now - especially since packing heat is out of the questions and carrying a knife - well I probably wouldn't be able to get it out in time if attacked anyway.

That cougar article was grim reading for sure!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW - I am sure some of you are laughing you a** off at the chicken of the forrest here, but keep in my I did grow up in Brooklyn, NY - so it was the Concrete Jungle for me. Scarriest thing I ever dealt with was 18 inch long rats in the subways.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
DO NOT corner one. Even a 12 pound house cat can do major damage if cornered or threatened. Don't ask how I know that. But a cat the size of a bobcat or lynx will not attack even a 5 year old unless cornered. A 90 pound cat may look at you as dinner though. The most warning you'll get in that case will be when you feel the hot breath as the fangs sink into your throat. And you are more likely to be struck by lightening than attacked by a big cat.

Why are cats so bad tempered??? If your most distinctive and deadly weapon was called "CANINE TEETH" and you are FELINE wouldn't you be a bit perturbed too?

OCD

Enlightened
I heard one time they supposedy are pound for pound one of the meanest animals in North America...basicallyt 40lbs of TNT.

But to echo many, they are VERY skidish and count yourself lucky to ever see ONE...much less 4 as I have.

I was lucky enough to see 2 babies (6-8 lbs) chasing a rabbit less than 6 feet from my tree stand while bow hunting. Pretty Awsome! The very next day I saw momma creeping down a rocky ravine. I looked away and looked back and she was gone! Without making a sound! Kinda scared me! Very elusive animals.

I also heard (probalby not entirely acurate) that for every one bobcat you see, 10 have seen you!

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
I once saw a finger badly mangled by a snapping turtle, and an opossum latched on a hand. Wild animals are wild. Do not be fooled by size or prettiness. Animal behaviorists know why animals act the way they do, but even they get mauled occasionally. It might just be better to stick to the streets for a while. Prudence is the safe course. If you were better equipped for outdoor life then you would be better able to protect yourself.

OCD

Enlightened
I once saw a finger badly mangled by a snapping turtle, and an opossum latched on a hand. Wild animals are wild. Do not be fooled by size or prettiness. Animal behaviorists know why animals act the way they do, but even they get mauled occasionally. It might just be better to stick to the streets for a while. Prudence is the safe course. If you were better equipped for outdoor life then you would be better able to protect yourself.

I've also seen baldly mangled fingers from car doors and log splitters! Not to take away from the dangers of WILD animals, but alot can be said from being aware your surrondings...for all things living or not.