pocket carrying

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around at some multitools. The Leatherman Skeletool cx is really catching my eye, and seems like a good setup. I was wondering how hard it would be to pocket carry. I'd rather not be strapping on a sheath to my belt if at all possible. Also welcome to other suggestions if something may be more pocketable, but not miniature sized. If it's to much of a hassle I have the option to just throw it in my bag I carry to work, but would like to carry it.

Thanks,

Jon

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking around at some multitools. The Leatherman Skeletool cx is really catching my eye, and seems like a good setup. I was wondering how hard it would be to pocket carry. I'd rather not be strapping on a sheath to my belt if at all possible. Also welcome to other suggestions if something may be more pocketable, but not miniature sized. If it's to much of a hassle I have the option to just throw it in my bag I carry to work, but would like to carry it.

Thanks,

Jon

Carried a Skeletool CX for over a year and still do off-and-on. It's a nice compromise Leatherman: WAY lighter than a Wave/Charge but at the cost of less gadgets. If you decide you really want one, shop around first. A few months ago they changed production in-line and removed the serrated edge from the blade. Many shops still carry old stock with the serrated edge knife and I'd highly recommend you pick one up while you can - the serrations make that blade infinitely more useful in my experience.

It has a pocket clip on the side which isn't bad all things considered, but doesn't hold extremely well on slick materials. So if you clip it to the corner of your khaki pocket, it WILL slide to the middle. I'd still recommend clipping it because:

• it sits heavily and awkwardly at the bottom of a pocket, rotating so it's sideways and jabbing you
  • it scratches everything else in that pocket something fierce if allowed to rub against it
  • it has a somewhat large blade on it and depending on local laws, clipping it could be mandatory (this varies widely depending where you are)
One thing I disliked about carrying it clipped to a front pocket: it's a long tool. When climbing into a car it jabs against your leg and when you tie your shoes, you sit down because it simply will not let you bend all the way over at the waist. I definitely noticed it restricting movement while in my front pocket.

I replaced it a few months ago with a Spyderco Dragonfly G10 that I carry clipped to my back pocket. I did this mainly because:

• I didn't use the pliers enough (maybe twice in 13 months) and they're the main reason for carrying a Leatherman
  • the screwdriver is handy in a very tight pinch, but it's awkward to use and hurts your hands if the screws are hard to get out. Any time I really needed a screwdriver, I had real one close at hand that I'd use instead
  • I used the knife constantly, multiple times a day. That is the CX's best point - that knife is solid and the serrations are plenty sharp. You'd grimace if I told you all the things I cut with that blade - it's absolutely the tool's best feature imo
To answer your question though: yes, it can be carried in a pocket and I did so for a long time with minimal discomfort. In the end, the blade got the most use and that didn't justify the constant weight pulling down my pants, so I bought a nice, compact and sharp Spyderco and now carry that instead. I don't really miss the CX as daily carry and still bring it clipped to my backpack whenever I go somewhere. It's the one I'd recommend over all others for pocket carry.

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still liking the skeletool cx, but I think I'll check out the juice s2 as well. Right now i'm carrying just my boker trance, but i'd like to carry a multitool. I might just end up continuing to carry the boker on me and just throw the multitool in my bag.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've never had any issues pocket carrying a Wave; once you get used to the weight you don't really notice it. I even EDC it around the house.

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Thanks StarHalo, The skeletool cx is a littler lighter so it probably shouldn't be a problem for me. I might just have to pull the trigger and see what happens.

sappyg

Enlightened
i just can't warm up to the skeletool. clipped to the pocket it's great but there is not enough there IMO. it is well built. the pliers are too small for it's size. during use i have been badly pinched by the blade while squeezing the handles. it's better than nothing but it's close to nothing anyway. one of the least useful MTs i can think of. i would rather have a kick at half the price. the skeletool is less of everything.

now the S2.... same size pliers but in the correct frame. very pocketable and easier to use plus you get scissors. where the skele is a minimalist MT so is the S2 but there is less compromise.

in the end it really comes down to what your use for an MT is. just b/c i don't care for a skele does'nt mean it would'nt work for you. i don't think much of the wave either and i'm definately in a minority.

stockae92

Enlightened
i have both charge tti and skeletool cx, and i have tried to pocket carry both. while the skeletool is definitely lighter, the size is still there. its not the most comfortable tool for pocket carry, but its manageable. i also pocket carry my spyderco CF from time to time. the folder is definitely more comfortable beause of the slim profile.

i prefer to have lockable blade and a pair of pliers, so skeletool fits the bill.

if i am carrying a men's purse, then i would go with my charger + a folder.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I take kind of the opposite view as sappyg as I find the Skeletool to be a good minimal combination of the tools I'm actually going to use without a bunch of stuff that I'd never use anyway. So obviously depends on what tools you need in your own daily life. The pliers, knife and screwdriver cover the majority of what I personally want a multitool for.

I agree about the pliers being a bit small/easy to pinch yourself with though. I've pinched my hand on more than one occasion - it hurts.

6thtexas

Newly Enlightened
I like my Paratool. It is about the biggest MT I'll carry in a pocket. It weighs about 6 oz. and it is comparatively thin. I swapped the PE blade out of it as I always have a knife on me. I installed a saw instead (took a little fitting) and put in a line cutter.

Stevestuff002.jpg

I made a case out of scrap buckskin for carrying it in the pocket
Stevestuff001.jpg

Dnva

Newly Enlightened
How about carrying a real knife and a Leatherman Squirt. I've been on that combination for a while now and it has worked well. Anything I can't use the Squirt for I would go get a real tool.

I also have a Juice and just don't ever carry it. To heavy and not that much more utility over the squirt.

The Squirt also has a very politically correct blade for the sheeple.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Skeletool before I forgot to take it out of my bag at the airport...and lost it to customs.

While I liked it for the slickness, it felt cheaper than other Leatherman tools I have had in the past, esp. the knife. Since I never used it as a knife but as a tool, it was only OK rather than great. The bits COULD be handy if you had all of them, but they only give you two to start, giving you two sizes of each head of screwdriver. But it's a pain if you need the bit that isn't current on the tool. It would be also very easy to lose a bit while changing them because of how they fit into the handle. Furthermore, if you had all the bits, you would still need to carry them for them to be useful.

Since I lost it, I haven't missed it. I will probably replace it, but with another version rather than the skeletool.

obi

bmcgators98

Enlightened
+1 on the Squirt + Knife,

I have / had a Wave, Juice and Squirt.

I pocket carry the Squirt and leave the Wave in the car or bag. I liked the Juice but the Squirt provided 90% of the utility at 10% of the size / weight. If I need a full size multi tool I have the wave in the car / bag. Plus if I don't feel comfortable pulling out a larger blade the Squirt has one that is servicable for most tasks.

Last edited: