Impulse buy, bought a Surefire E1B backup

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was looking for a small EDC type light to compliment the A2 aviator I recieved last week. I was considering getting a surefire E2E cause of it's size and the fact I love incan's. After doing some thinking I just said screw it, picked up the phone, and ordered a surefire E1B backup. It's a light I had been eyeballin for quite some time but never really gave much thought on droppin the cash for it. Well long story short I had some extra cash to spend and I went ahead and went for it. One of the deciding factors for me was finding out (see this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3466488) that the "new" 110 lumen E1B is actually the same as the old "80 lumen" version, after being afraid for a long time that if I ordered one I might recieve the "older model". The first time I called surefire the guy, who, no offense to him, seemed like he didn't even know what a flashlight was, told me that the new one was actually updated for a higher output. I didn't give him much credibility based on the short conservation I had with him. I made my bank deposit, called back and the woman who I spoke to assured me that I would be getting the newest latest updated version when I ordered. ?, I thought they were all the same:thinking: Anyway, all I can do is wait now for it to arrive so I can put it through it's paces. So just wanted to let you guys know I'm soon to join the "backup club", I'll post back with my intial thoughts and impressions when it arrives. Thanks

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, do alot worst? You're not a fan of the E1B?

There are a lot worse lights than an E1B, meaning it's a great light!!

Scale below

:twothumbsGreat!!<---------E1B-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Bad:thumbsdow

carrot

Flashaholic
I find it shocking that nobody understands what's going on with Surefire:

Surefire buys a TON of premium LEDs at a time, and when they run out they buy whatever's the new premium bin. They do not update their lumens rating right away (they consider it a minimum, not a maximum like other manufacturers) so there are some "80-lumen" E1B's, then there are some mislabeled 110-lumen "80-lumen" E1B's, then there are some "110-lumen" E1B's. Generally the period between when they update their lumen ratings is long enough that they believe the older lower rated E1B's are out of their dealer's stock.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it shocking that nobody understands what's going on with Surefire:

Surefire buys a TON of premium LEDs at a time, and when they run out they buy whatever's the new premium bin. They do not update their lumens rating right away (they consider it a minimum, not a maximum like other manufacturers) so there are some "80-lumen" E1B's, then there are some mislabeled 110-lumen "80-lumen" E1B's, then there are some "110-lumen" E1B's. Generally the period between when they update their lumen ratings is long enough that they believe the older lower rated E1B's are out of their dealer's stock.

I've heard that ALL E1B's have been putting out 110 lumens from day one.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire E1B in black is an excellent little light with a very nice beam profile allowing 80/110 lumens to really get out there. The two way clip is nice also. The light weight and smooth finish make it entirely suitable for pocket carry without tearing up your trousers.

The runtime is a little short on high though so carry some spares if your planning heavy usage.

Great light in my book,

Congrats,

James....:D

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The woman from surefire assured me that the "new" 110 lumen E1B had been shipping out for quite some time and she guranteed that I would recieve the newest and latest E1B, so we'll have to see. She did confirm that the package still says 80 lumens though. I have a 6P LED that puts out 80 lumens so when I compair it with the E1B I should be able to tell right away if my E1B is putting out 110 lumens, now the long wait.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1B is the best light I ever bought. I've put so many batteries through it. It's also been thrown high in the air onto hard surfaces many, many, many times to show people why I paid so much for it :)

I'll be replacing it if it ever quits but at this point, after what I've put it through, I'm not expecting to replace it anytime soon.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wont notice the difference with your eyes anyway, so don't get to anxious about the lumens.

Yes I understand what your saying but it's more of the physological side of things. I mean, even though the difference would be minimal, would anyone out there actually be happy knowing they got an "80 lum" model when a better "110 lum" model exists? See what I'm saying?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an "80 lumen" model even though there were 110 lumen models out there :shrug:

That's good, I'm glad your happy:) But that just wouldn't work for me, I'm a little too OCD. Seriously though, you don't think your E1B is putting out 110 lumens? Does it look more like 80? And when did you purchase yours?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each to their own mate :thumbsup:

To be honest, I have no idea :shrug:
It could be 80 or 110 im not sure.
I'd need one of "each" to say for certain.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the finest EDC's out there. For work during the day, it has no rival. The wonderful beam from the optic really can perform especially when there is ambient lighting around... most reflector based lights in the 1 x 123 format will wash out but the E1B can punch through.

I used mine the other day to light up something on the ceiling insided of a 60 to 70 foot tall building when there was more than enough light around to see. It wasn't spot light bright, but it definitely did the job and I know my other lights wouldn't have done the job so well.

At night, still an excellent light.

Great choice.

I am with KD on the E1L; for any outdoors experience where I will be away from a steady supply of batteries, I would go with the E1L... not as bright, but double the runtime on high and still very, very bright.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your purchase. I absolutely love my Backup. It's an excellent light that will take whatever punishment you decide to throw at it.

I've had mine since they launched it and it's been beaten daily since then.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the backup club. 80lm or 110lm doesnt matter, it is still a great light. The E1B is my most used light to date, and it has been carried almost everyday for over a year. I would still love to know for sure which version I have. Here is one for all you dedicated backup users. Can you use current draw at the tail to distinguish between the two models? Mine pulls 990mah.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the backup club. 80lm or 110lm doesnt matter, it is still a great light. The E1B is my most used light to date, and it has been carried almost everyday for over a year. I would still love to know for sure which version I have. Here is one for all you dedicated backup users. Can you use current draw at the tail to distinguish between the two models? Mine pulls 990mah.

Read this thread here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/284373
Goinggear.com claims that he contacted surefire and they informed him all E1b's are the same, 110 lumens from the start. It really is a confusing subject, the guy at surefire told me that the LED's have been updated to 110 lumen output and had been shipping out since January with old 80 lumens packages still:thinking:

Question guys, how conserative is the 5 lumen figure for the low on the backup? Do you think it is bright enough for most tasks? And how is the tint on low? Greenish or does it stay white like the high?