McGizmo LS20 XP-G Update

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
FINALLY getting back onto CPF!
The last few months have been extremely hectic as I've been moving and many other things have kept me busy and away from CPF. The fact that the internet is S--L--O--W where I live has also made it hard to even want to get online. Hopefully I'll get the internet thing straightened out. Until then, I'll be on/off again. I have a bunch of PM's that need to be responded to and will do my best to get caught up in the coming week/s.
I went from living on the inner-outskirts of a small/medium city to living in the middle of nowhere surrounded by farmland. I have been riding or walking for the last 9 years as my only form of transporation (other than the occasional ride from family/friend) and now I need to think about getting my drivers license back. Luckily a post office is a few miles up the road, so I'll still be able to do CPF stuff.:thumbsup: Lots of changes going on...

I've missed this place and all the great people that make it feel like a family. Nice to see all the great things people have been doing and more creative lights made.lovecpf:wave:

During my move, I spent some time thinking about flashlights and actually used a lot of them during the process. It gave me a nice chance to really run them through their paces. Headlamps are covered by the selection of zebra lights I've accumulated. Handhelds were usually a Spy of some sort (005/007/Tri-V) as well as a selection of Aleph/Surefire lights that have been heavily modified. Having multiple levels is a must for any flashlight I carry unless mounted on a weapon. Having different beam-patterns in one light with the addition of different levels is even better! The Tri-V does just that and so much more.
Flashlights that combine different beams and outputs are where it's at in my book! Which got me thinking about my next flashlight purchase. I've picked up a few production lights after purchasing the Tri-V, but nothing that really stood out or that I was willing to drop a substantial amount of money on.

After being able to log back onto CPF, a Lunasol 20 was just put up for sale in the CPF Custom-B/S/T.
It was hard to resist and was a user which is what I was looking for. I replied using my slow-*** internet and hoped nobody jumped on it before my reply went through. At last, the McGizmo light that I always admired was on it's way to me. Another light with more than one beam pattern and output!
Well, today my first McGizmo showed up in the mail. The LS20. (Thanks dadof6)
The only other Titanium McGizmo I've ever seen/used/touched was the LS27 when the pass-around was happening and I was fortunate enough to get in on. Mind you this was not too long after I joined CPF and (at the time) could not imagine spending so much on a light, but given the opportunity to check one out personally for a few days was awesome! That was my first experience with titanium and it helped me understand why they are so darn cool! I loved the light, but felt that it would be too heavy and bulky to carry as an EDC. The LS20 really caught my attention due to it's smaller size and the "Dual Beam" ability.
Flood can be a very useful feature and is with regards to the LS20.

Now before I get ahead of myself, I'd like to comment on the beautifully machined parts. The fluting in the head makes for a nice grip when twisting it. Speaking of twisting, the threads on this light are so smooooth!! The window is ultra clear and very thick with o-ring seals on both sides! The body fits in the hand perfectly and the Ti clip grabs tight on my pocket. The green trit in the piston is always a welcome addition and will allow me to find it easy in the dark. The PD action is also very smooth and easy to "Feel" the transition between the levels. Twisting the head one-handed is also very easy to do.
The flood from the 3 X 3mm LED's is great and has a very useful beam pattern as general purpose illumination. When more throw and output are needed , either mashing the piston all the way down or twisting the head further is at that is needed. Very nice!

The golden dragon emitters never really appealed to me, and this was backed up today when using high on this amazing light. The high beam is sufficient for most I'm sure, but being that I own a Tri-V, its doesn't stand a chance. Please don't take this as a direct comparison as these 2 lights are in a category of their own. Just that they both use the McR12 reflector. The GD has a very tight hot-spot with ok spill. The output on high was about what I expected, seeing that the GD is running at only 400mA. The tint was on the cool side with a slight purple/blue tint but nothing bad. When using it, I was left wanting more "Punch" to the high beam.

That being said, I couldn't even wait till it got completely dark out before deciding it needed an emitter upgrade. The LS20 is not the easiest light to work on and much care needs to be taken when working within the limited space.
From what I've gathered, the reflector in the LS20 is an McR12 for the GD emitter. The Tri-V uses an McR12 coupled with the XP-G emitter for a very nice beam. Other mods I've done using the GD reflectors with the XP-G's have produced great results. After disassembly of the LS20, the GD emitter was removed from the board and an R5 XP-G was put in it's place and was used for this particular mod.
I made an entirely new heatsink for a neutral XP-G that will replace this one in the near future. After everything was soldered and put back together, I was extremely happy to see an identical beam as my Tri-V on "reflector mode" Much larger hot-spot, as well as a brighter and more useful beam pattern, giving me the added "Punch" I was after.
The improvement made by just an emitter swap is all it has taken to really draw me into the usefulness of this light.
Add some levels (via driver upgrade) to allow the XP-G to run harder than 400mA...Maybe 750+ to this beauty and I see a welcome addition to my EDC rotation. That's not to say the light is not very nice the way it is, I just have a hard time leaving well enough alone…:whistle:

Next up is to swap the emitter/heatsink again, possibly add a resistor to the 3 X 3mm LED's for a "Lower Low" and to do a driver swap for more levels/ & higher drive levels.
One of my favorite things about flashlights is that with the proper host, new technology can be added to improve on already amazing light/designs and bring them up to date!:D

I feel very fortunate to have been able to score one of Don's amazing creations and fully understand why so many people love them. :bow::rock::twothumbs
I have already been trying to decide which one I'd like to add next. The LS20 was THE McGizmo I have been wanting and I'm glad I held out till I found one!

Unfortunately, I didn't get before beamshot pictures, but anyone with an LS20 will be able to tell this is not your typical LS20 GD beam!:cool:

022.jpg

004-54.jpg

006-48.jpg

Titanium Goodness! :D
013.jpg

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod. :thumbsup:

I've wanted a Lunasol 20 for some time too, being what I think is the best looking PD light from Don. But after playing with my friend's, like you, I desire the high to have a bit more punch. So I got the Haiku instead. Now your mod fuels my need and want to search for one.... :crazy:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaFAB! Awesome!! When I owned my LS20, that was my only 'thing'...the beam from the main emitter left me wanting a bit more. The light itself was a functional piece of art.

Now you have me wanting another....:crazy:

When I owned mine I asked around to see if anyone could mod it, and although the many gifted modders out there said it was doable, most just didn't want to tackle it.

SOOOOO - if I decide to get another, perhaps you can mod it for me? :thinking:

Then maybe we can do the driver upgrade, too? :naughty:

Great write up, BTW - and GREAT to have you back on the forum! You have been missed!

:wave:

dcaprilia

Enlightened
Milky upgraded mine to an XPG and boy I wish I did the mod sooner. The beam bigger and brighter all around :twothumbs

fyrstormer

Banned
I'd jump on an XP-G mod if I could get an XP-G with a similar tint to the original. I'm not a huge fan of the super-cool tint, but the light was designed to have the same tint between the flood and spot emitters, and I'd want to keep that to a reasonable extent.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to have you back! Hope all goes well in the transition to your new home/location.

That mod looks awesome! Excellent work as usual. :) Look forward to hearing back from you on a T1A mod when you have time.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am too too excited! DaFAB told me today that my modded LS20 is on its way home to papa!! I haven't been this excited since Data said he'd shipped my Tri-V!

I will post a review of the mod and comparison to a stock LS20 this weekend. Line up, folks - I know this mod is going to be fantastic based on the description of the shape/tint/brightness of the LS20 after the mod. Jump in line to have yours done!

:rock::twothumbs

SFfanman

Enlightened
I am too too excited! DaFAB told me today that my modded LS20 is on its way home to papa!! I haven't been this excited since Data said he'd shipped my Tri-V!

I will post a review of the mod and comparison to a stock LS20 this weekend. Line up, folks - I know this mod is going to be fantastic based on the description of the shape/tint/brightness of the LS20 after the mod. Jump in line to have yours done!

:rock::twothumbs

Awesome Dan! :party::party::party: This was one of my favorite all time lights and I can't wait to see the review coming as I know it will nothing short of sensational.

Great Work DAfaB!!!!!!!

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan,

I'm looking forward to your review. I hope you are able to throw in a couple of beam shots from a Haiku XP-G or SPY 007/TRI-V to compare to as well?

Thanks
Todd

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the nice words guys!lovecpf:bow:

This is certainly a time consuming modification as there is more to take apart and reassemble than most other lights.
I also make sure to take my time with these to be EXTRA careful and to be sure everything goes together smoothly and as planned.
I just recieved another members light that had Frystormers awesome 3 speed upgrade done to it.
It should be interesting to see what the neutral XP-G does with the higher current!
After seeing the difference Frystormer 3 speed modification made, I can say I highly recommend it!!:thumbsup:

Drywolf, run4jc's LS20 was only an emitter swap to an R4 as per his request and came out better than expected.
When compared to mine, it is a bit brighter....:duh2::thinking::shrug:....I'm jealous..:eek:

I still have been carrying my LS20 everyday since delivery and am thinking a driver swap is in the works very soon before I head off to Colorado.

Don said he planned on using the Rebel for this light, but due to the recall he opted for the GD instead.
He told me that had the XP-G been available back then it would have been a no-brainer to use in this amazing light.
Since the reflector is basically an McR17, when coupled with the XP-G it should give about the same beam shape as the Haiku XP-G, just not as bright unless a driver swap is done.
I can't be sure of this since I don't have a Haiku and maybe Dan can give us his input soon since he has one..:poke::grin2:
The LS20 continues to impress me with it's dual beams and I am so glad I finally picked one up....It's here to stay.....Very likely to never be sold.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Dan! :party::party::party: This was one of my favorite all time lights and I can't wait to see the review coming as I know it will nothing short of sensational.

Great Work DAfaB!!!!!!!

Dan,

I'm looking forward to your review. I hope you are able to throw in a couple of beam shots from a Haiku XP-G or SPY 007/TRI-V to compare to as well?

Thanks
Todd

Thanks, Ryan! Timing of the Labor Day weekend couldn't be better...I need a long weekend to recharge, and "playing with my little lights" is one of my favorite ways to relax. And Todd, as long as the weather holds up in Southern Maryland, I will definitely be using those lights - and others :whistle:- for comparison! Looks like we're in luck - I don't think Hurricane Earl is going to visit during out stay at the beach....

Thanks for all the nice words guys!lovecpf:bow:

This is certainly a time consuming modification as there is more to take apart and reassemble than most other lights.
I also make sure to take my time with these to be EXTRA careful and to be sure everything goes together smoothly and as planned.
I just recieved another members light that had Frystormers awesome 3 speed upgrade done to it.
It should be interesting to see what the neutral XP-G does with the higher current!
After seeing the difference Frystormer 3 speed modification made, I can say I highly recommend it!!:thumbsup:

Drywolf, run4jc's LS20 was only an emitter swap to an R4 as per his request and came out better than expected.
When compared to mine, it is a bit brighter....:duh2::thinking::shrug:....I'm jealous..:eek:

I still have been carrying my LS20 everyday since delivery and am thinking a driver swap is in the works very soon before I head off to Colorado.

Don said he planned on using the Rebel for this light, but due to the recall he opted for the GD instead.
He told me that had the XP-G been available back then it would have been a no-brainer to use in this amazing light.
Since the reflector is basically an McR17, when coupled with the XP-G it should give about the same beam shape as the Haiku XP-G, just not as bright unless a driver swap is done.
I can't be sure of this since I don't have a Haiku and maybe Dan can give us his input soon since he has one..:poke::grin2:
The LS20 continues to impress me with it's dual beams and I am so glad I finally picked one up....It's here to stay.....Very likely to never be sold.

Fyrstormer suggested that the LS20 be modded by DaFAB first - he suggested I check that out and see if I still felt it needed 'more' after the mod. According to Cree's data, the XPG R4 should output around 120 lumen at 350mA - I'm guessing that the LS20 should output around 120 lumen then since it runs at 400mA by default? Since I am not looking for a 'flamethrower', rather, an EDC, this will likely be enough output. Since the early days of my flashlight 'affliction', it's become obvious to me that the differences between, say, 120 lumen and 200 lumen, while definitely noticeable, aren't major.

We'll see. I'll use it for a while, but curiosity will likely get the better of me and the LS20 will probably go to Fyrstormer's "Evil Labs" :devil: for the upgrade, if he's willing! I think that it's great of Fyrstormer to suggest that upgrade path.

But back to DaFAB - Thank you! Folks, Tim is GREAT to deal with. We are blessed at CPF to have so many great folks doing these mods, and I'm not taking anything away from any of them. I have trusted a Spy 007 and this LS20 to Tim because a: I trust him completely and b: I believe he treats every light as if it were his OWN light. And his pricing is absolutely fair - in my mind, a bargain!

So Fedex says it's well on its way - to arrive tomorrow! Can't wait! Thanks, Tim! :party:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOO HOO!! The light just arrived! Can't wait to test it this weekend, but for now I am uber pleased! Tint is really nice, and Tim did just one heck of a job. You'd think that the light came with this emitter - just perfect.

Again, there will be more this weekend, but for now, the business end (with my point and shoot camera)
P1020646.JPG

:party::party::nana::thumbsup::party::party:

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOO HOO!! The light just arrived! Can't wait to test it this weekend, but for now I am uber pleased! Tint is really nice, and Tim did just one heck of a job. You'd think that the light came with this emitter - just perfect.

Again, there will be more this weekend, but for now, the business end (with my point and shoot camera)
P1020646.JPG

Bro!! :twothumbs

LS20_18650_02.jpg

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan,I'll be looking forward to your review and great pics:twothumbs

and pm sent to you DaFABRICATA!:D

P1020646.JPG

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to doing the review! Measured the light in my sphere - I'd guessed 120 lumen - my sphere returned 118! Makes sense - 'sposed to put out 115 or so at 350mA - with 400mA that's about right.

It is a perfect EDC - it just needs a little bit more 'pop'...Fyrstormer's upgrade to a 750mA board should just do the trick. It read 75 lumen stock, so it's already a huge improvement - plus the beam is perfectly shaped (for me) and the tint is great.

Hoping to shoot the beam shots tonight - between chores tomorrow and Sunday hope to get the review posted!

Hope it doesn't let anyone down...didn't mean to hype it so!

Oh, if you are thinking of sending yours to Tim, DO IT!! :twothumbs