Doenges 5 LED/1 AA led-light Mini-Review

artar

Enlightened
two weeks ago i saw this light
LED-Do2.jpg

and ordered first one for me, then ordered one more for a cpf-member, then ordered 2 more for the cpf-member and one more for me. in total i have now 5 of them on my desk ;-)

these were the informations from the website where i saw the light (see also -> Dönges 5 LED /1 AA )

* Alu-housing with rubber grip
* waterproof/shockproof
* rubber on/off switch
* weight 90 gr. incl. batteries
* 100 mm long
* powered by "only" 1 AA batterie
* runtime = 40 h

the light comes like this :
dsc01345.JPG

dsc01340.JPG

the light is 9,9 cm long, the diameter from the head is 1,8 cm, from the body 2,7 and the end is about 1 cm.

here size comparison against arc aa :
dsc01344.JPG

the boy is made of aluminium and the body is coated with rubber. so it gives you good grip.

the head with the 5 white led can be screwed out, so you can put in the aa-alkaline in it.

dsc01342.JPG

after screwing in the head, you must press the tiny micro-switch on the tail-end to turn on the light. the switch is covered with rubber and feels solid.

dsc01339.JPG

the problem with this mini micro-switch is that it is too deep in the body, tha you can't activate it with your thumb always, you must use your thumbnail.

than if you got the mini micro-switch work, you wont believe your eyes :

see yourself :

dsc01341.JPG

the light on the left is an arc aaa, on the left you see how much light come out of the 5 white led of the doenges.

and here a real world beam comparison :

the doenges 5 led /1 aa :

dsc01337.JPG

here the arc aaa :

dsc01338.JPG

and here the real world today in daylight :

dsc01343.JPG

my conclusion is that this flashlight is not a flashlight yet.
without moding or boosting the power to the 5 led it is useless, the arc aaa is with 1 led two times brigther.

i will send it back the dealer.

paulr

Flashaholic
It might have worked better with red leds because of their lower forward voltage.