LED Lights for MACRO photography

gewoodfo

Newly Enlightened
Hi all:

I have been searching for seeral years to find a light that I can use in a small mobile table top photo studio that i will use to take high resolution photos of coins, gems, jewelery, and other small objects.

I am looking for lights that meet the following specifications:

1. 5500 - 5600 color temperature
2. CRI of >90
3. Small and lightweight
4. Low heat output
5. Dimmable; preferably via a usb connection to a computer
6. adjustable Beams; if not adjustable, then have lights with same quality of light but with various beams (floodlight - spotlight)
7. Power, Prefer to have them powered by USB from computer or from 110 with a battery/ups pack in between the lights and the 110 source. Batteries will work as well
8. Be able to mount on 18 - 24" goosenecks or similar stand for maximum flexability in light placement
9. Be of good quality and professional build; No need for them to be rugged as they will be used inside and carried in a case with camera and computer.

I have seen some high end LED lights that come close to meeting all of these, but they are way to rich for my pocketbook at this time. I am hoping that somen can put me in touch with someone who have lights and fixtures that meet most of the above spec or could maybe even build or mod an existing light for me.

I should note that I am not a DIYer :sigh:

Thanks,

G.E.

PS: The CPF is an absolutly amzing site. I am, in wonder, with what you all can do with flashlights and LED bulbs. The DArk room has some amazing macro photos. I hope that I will be able to get as good as what i have seen on this site!!

dyril

Newly Enlightened
Admittedly I'm a newbie to CPF but I'm not aware of a "pure white" LED that also has a high CRI (if this were the case, respective flashlights as witnessed on CPF would've surely used them by now). It seems high CRI and the lack of a tint are not yet found in the same LED.

Is it possible to then settle for a high CRI but then set your white balance accordingly?
http://hdslights.com/?id=LightFaq#Tint

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
what your looking for is difficult to find in one light.

for the CRI/color temp look for warm emitters

USB power and dimming would be custom, but doable.

Check out a zebralight h501w, AA powered warm light multi level, tough little headlamp that can mount anywhere. (Its all flood, but in macro photography even a spotlight is flood, right?).

gewoodfo

Newly Enlightened
Hi All: Thanks for the responses. To answer one question: If i cannot find one light that meets both the color temp and CRi specs, then I would prefer to find one with the high CRI and do white balance adjustments for the color temperature.

So with that said, is their a bulb or flashlight that will give me a very good High CRI >90 and is high quality?