Man builds Solar Powered Cabin, under $2000 cash.

timtim2008

Newly Enlightened
Man builds Solar Powered Cabin, under $2000 cash.

1268144532-1.jpg

His website: http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/

YouTube videos: 1 of 7 parts of him showing his entire home..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXu45MHrnTk

Would anyone here, really consider this? his only bills are $300 or $400 yr in propain, and aprox $100 in property taxes.. + food.

i bought actually bought his eBook, and im not the type who buys ebooks. lol

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The pioneer in me loves this idea. The practical old man in me says I would hate it after a week. My wife would say I was welcome to put one in the back yard and stay in it.

Maybe in my next life and forty years younger.

Geoff

Radiophile

Enlightened
It's a little too small for me, but I like the idea. I've investigated building a dome home from a kit or an "earth ship" with the intent of getting off the grid.

I read an article in Home Power magazine years ago where a guy bought a beat up single wide trailer and converted it to passive solar heat and active solar electricity for about the same cost with a great deal more living space.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For a single guy, not a bad idea at all.

But you're not going to find many women nowadays willing to move into something like that.

Maybe if I already owned a house with a nice-sized backyard. Just for fun.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a single guy, not a bad idea at all.

But you're not going to find many women nowadays willing to move into something like that.

Yeah "gold diggers" can't see the financial gains to be had LOL seriously though you could always build on another room OR three :D

EDIT: If you guys are into "zero emission technology" THIS article about a Solar Air Heater (Solar Sponge) would be worth a look-see ;)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hmm . . . I'm thinking home-owner with a big backyard. I'm thinking he builds one of those $2,000 structures, then rents out his house. Rent should pay for the structure in no-time. Then the rest is profit.

A few drawbacks . . . Like knowing who to call if the toilet overflows at 3am. But this could be a decent way for an average Joe to make some real extra income. (Instead of trying one of those Get-Rich-Quick scams that are advertised on TV at 3am.)

I don't have a house or a backyard. But what do you guys think of that idea?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
I have to make a comment about this, because I just installed one of these on the roof of my garage a few days ago. I'm talking about the wind powered turbine style ventilator on top of his cabin. It is not installed correctly. In fact, it not even close. See how it is installed at an angle? These have to be installed perfectly level in order for them to function properly. It won't spin freely if it's installed perfectly flat. Just by looking at the roof, I can tell the pitch is less than 12/12, or 45 degrees, so there is no reason he could not have installed it properly - the turbines I have seen can not be installed on a roof steeper than this, because you would have to install it at an angle, again preventing the turbine from spinning freely.

I would have second thoughts about taking advise from a man who did not even get this detail down correctly. I mean, it tells you to use a level to install it right in the instructions, for Pete's sake!

I watched a lot of the man's video's on his website, and I can dig what he is trying to do. I'm not an expert in building cabins, but he seems to know what he is doing.

But, again going back to the turbine vent, I noticed another odd thing. When he gives the video tour of his loft, the area where is vent is looks like a black square. On mine, you can see light shining though, in fact it is very easy to see the light/shadow pattern spinning inside when there is any wind.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
$2000 not including windows, doors or porch...

... also guessing not including 6 panels, charger, panels, or inverter

... or the compressor to compress the methane gas that runs his generator

... or

Ok, it's pretty cool, but I am with the converted single wide for much nicer living

Of course, if anyone built a house entirely from scratch with almost no amenities they could do it quite cheaply sort of like the cabin I helped my friend build many of years ago ...which is likely 4 times the size and was quite inexpensive too. No running water, no electrical wiring, no inspections, no ... no... no ... will do that.

Semiman

Latest posts