America's Got Talent - Amazing 10 year old

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw this on America's Got Talent and my mouth was open the entire time. 10 yr old Jackie Evancho is simply incredible. A singing voice wayy beyond her years. It seems so effortless it almost appears as though it's not even coming from her.
Just astonishing. What a talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPITHzdUUDk

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interesting Video Finds Part 2

I just saw this on America's Got Talent and my mouth was open the entire time. 10 yr old Jakie Evencho is simply incredible. A singing voice wayy beyond her years. It seems so effortless it almost appears as though it's not even coming from her.
Just astonishing. What a talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPITHzdUUDk

:faint: wordless

Burgess

Flashaholic

This 10-year old young lady is Incredible ! ! !

Thank you for the Link.

:thumbsup:
_

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I have to admit that at first I was skeptical, mostly because I caught a few fleeting moments when the performance seemed to slip ever so slightly out of lip sync.

But I've looked at a few of her other videos and I'm convinced that she really does have an amazing voice! Clearly she's been working at this very hard. What an amazing talent - she's going to be the next Susan Boyle.

I still suspect that her performance on AGT might have been prerecorded though (with her own voice).

Empath

Flashaholic

She is a very talented little girl. In addition to her youtube performances and her performance on America's Got Talent, she has racked up some impressive achievements for someone of such young age.

She's a professional; even has a record out. Her performance on AGT was taken from her debut album. While I'd not fault her and her talent, I do find America's Got Talent using professionals portrayed as amateurs looking for a break to be a bit deceptive. There are probably many shows that would love to give her some exposure time. America's Got Talent is suppose to be more of a talent contest for unknowns.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
She already has an album out? Yeah, that does seem to violate the spirit of the show in a way. While it's great to showcase such undiscovered talent as hers, it does seem lile they're cheating a bit on the premise of the show.

At least they don't have Simon Cowell. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Empath

Flashaholic
There was enough interest and discussion to merit its own thread. I've moved it out of the Video thread and renamed it to reflect the topic.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the move Empath. I actually thought of starting a separate thread but didn't want to make that decision.

A friend and I, who also saw her performance, discussed it tonight. He was a bit skeptical himself as to what actually went down. He thought that it might have been lip-synced as others have suggested. I don't believe that it was. I had another look at it.

But to be soo good, to be almost unbelievable in my opinion is an extreme form of flattery.

I closely watched the live broadcast back again tonight off my DVR and there was no lip-syncing. It was her. You can't go by the YouTube version. It does seem though that something was added to the audio to make it sound so big and a bit echoey. But give her credit, what a voice.

Another point is that I can't believe AGT would allow someone to lip-sync and surely you couldn't get away with it.

Semi-professional or not, I'm in awe. I've never seen anything like it before in my life.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It would be cool to see her win. A professional? Come on...she's 10 years old, and started 2 years ago. Released a CD 9 months ago? Lots of amateurs release CD's and sell them at coffee shops. That doesn't quality her as a professional.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize until reading this thread, the deceptive practices of the show. I like Harmonica Pierre myself but wonder if he already is a professional.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I didn't realize until reading this thread, the deceptive practices of the show. I like Harmonica Pierre myself but wonder if he already is a professional.

"Deceptive Practices"? Not to be personal, but anyone who says that without evidence or clearly defining what makes someone a "professional" is either making an ignorant statement, or being hyper-critical.

Most people who have developed (or born with) a skill have done it on some local, generally unrecognized venue, performed publicly at numerous recitals, concerts, home town performances, and often receive some form of payment. To call a 10 year old who started singing after seeing Phantom 2 years previous, and intelligent people wanting to capture her talent 9 months ago on a CD, does not make her a "professional" in my book.

Most major professional musicians/performing artists started in small coffee shops, bars, local stages, played at weddings, parties, etc. Their original limited EP tapes/CD's are highly prized by collectors when they just made a few to send out as demos or sell to fans. The crossover to being a professional where they are widely recognized in their area of talent, and use that talent to support themselves is an arduous and meandering gray zone at best. Jackie Evancho is no professional.

You would have to classify Gabbey's mom, Alice Tan Ridley as a professional, since NY Subway commuters regularly filled her tip cup where she routinely performed, and established her professional title of being "New York's Subway Idol."

Empath

Flashaholic
Her album debuted at #121 on Billboard's Top200, and #2 on Billboard's Classical Albums Chart. She will be performing at Carnegie Hall, December 2nd. As far as "professional" goes, no, she's not as big as Celine Dion, but she does share the same producer, David Foster.

She is a sensation, and will enjoy a successful professional career, and does. Her success may be helped by America's Got Talent, but it's not dependent on it. I've a feeling that America's Got Talent needs her more than she needs America's Got Talent.

The above claims are documented here.

gsxer

Newly Enlightened
I watch that video over in over she is lip syncing no dought..

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Her album debuted at #121 on Billboard's Top200, and #2 on Billboard's Classical Albums Chart. She will be performing at Carnegie Hall, December 2nd. As far as "professional" goes, no, she's not as big as Celine Dion, but she does share the same producer, David Foster.

She is a sensation, and will enjoy a successful professional career, and does. Her success may be helped by America's Got Talent, but it's not dependent on it. I've a feeling that America's Got Talent needs her more than she needs America's Got Talent.

The above claims are documented here.

With respect, I classify this as being hyper-critical. From Billboard's site, her CD debuted LAST WEEK, AFTER her YouTube selection and performance on AGT. The Carnegie Hall appearance is in the future. Her "CD was an independent release; she is not signed to any label so purchasing the CD will probably come from her own website once released." (That link has the best listing of her actual performances.)

From Billboard Magazine said:
Following its November 2009 digital release, the album had sold a negligible amount until the Pennyslvania native was chosen by YouTube viewers to compete on the talent show last Tuesday (Aug. 10). Evancho displayed her adult-sized operatic vocals while singing Giacomo Puccini's aria "O Mio Babbino Caro" and earned Susan Boyle comparisons.

Once her "Talent" clip became a viral sensation, the iTunes Store took notice and swiftly placed her album on the front page of its store, touting the set's availability. Nearly all of the set's 4,000 sold last week were from digital downloads, with only a handful from physical CD sales.

Here is David's introduction and her on stage appearance at David Foster's concert. I hardly see that qualifying as having been produced, or that he should now be seen as her producer. It is an obvious amateur talent show appearance.

Granted, she has had public appearances over the last year, but there has not been anywhere near enough done to be established as a professional, or to separate her from some of the backgrounds of other AGT contestants. You think all of the AGT contestants over the years just sang in their own back yard?

Empath said:
I do find America's Got Talent using professionals portrayed as amateurs looking for a break to be a bit deceptive.

I don't really understand why this is being presented in such a manner. She was one of many YouTube submission videos, chosen by You Tube viewers, not plucked out of a professional artist catalog.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well boys and girls, here's her semi-final act. If you're not watching the live TV performance you are missing out, as the Youtube posting and playback isn't quite the same.

Her voice is so amazing, people claim it's not her singing. That just goes to show you what an unbelievable voice she has. She's just magnificent I say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGrcy8wQHk

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well boys and girls, here's her semi-final act. If you're not watching the live TV performance you are missing out, as the Youtube posting and playback isn't quite the same.

Her voice is so amazing, people claim it's not her singing. That just goes to show you what an unbelievable voice she has. She's just magnificent I say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGrcy8wQHk

Howie said it best that she is like an angel from another planet. I would hate to be up against her.