PEAK
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Epic AAA Run-time test (low level only!)

Default Epic AAA Run-time test (low level only!)

It's midnight, Friday the 13th, so let's do the run-time test of AAA lights. In search of the AAA run-time king!!!

I've always been frustrated no one ever tested/reviewed lights on low, well I am taking care of that here. Inspired by scout24's excellent runtime tests, we may see some familiar faces, but I wanted to add a few new contenders.

The test itself will start tomorrow as I should be getting a few AAA lights delivered and it would be a shame to start the test without them.

You can ponder who the contenders will be and I will reveal that tomorrow evening. I will mention a few new lights and a couple of ideas like a Zebralight H50 using AAA in a AA shell as well as a Gerber Infinity Ultra in same manner. I got my Peak Eigers so they will be running as well as a couple of other Peak AAA lights.

I will use scout24's idea of using a Quark AA on moon mode as the baseline of when to end the test for a light once it drops equal to that level of light.

Stay tuned, this should be fun!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Group A AAA runtime (low mode) test results:
    Ray S20 1 hour @ ??v
    Maratac (al) < 8 hours @ 1.12v
    Liteflux LF2XT < 8 hours @ .97v *** unknown reason it turned off prematurely *** (retested in Group B)
    Fenix E01 < 11 hours @ .89v
    4Sevens Preon < 11 hours @ .91v
    Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi XP-G < 11 hours @ .91v (strobing slow)
    Maratac (cu) 17-20 hours @ .86v
    4Sevens Preon II 17-20 hours @ .86v & .60v
    Zebralight H50 20.5 hours @ 1.10v
    Peak Eiger #0 24+ hours @ .97v (light dim)
    Peak Eiger #Subzero 24+ hours @ 1.19v (light dim)
    iTP A3 24+ hours @ 1.10v (light dim)

Group B AAA runtime (low mode) test results:
    Gerber Infinity Ultra *** AAA>AA adapter broke so Infinity Ultra was not tested *** (Retest scheduled)
    Inova Radient 2xAAA 6 hours @ 1.22v & 1.19v (light dim)
    iTP H-01 < 11 hours @ .87v
    Peak Matterhorn 3-LED SP 11+ hours @ .99v (light dim)
    Peak Eiger #3 15+ hours @ 1.14v (light dim)
    Peak Matterhorn 3-LED HP 15+ hours @ 1.16v (light dim)
    Peak Matterhorn 1-LED HP 16+ hours @ 1.16v (light dim)
    LumaPower Connexion 14-19 hours @ 1.13v
    Peak Matterhorn 1-LED SP 37+ hours @ 1.07v (light dim)
    Peak Eiger #0 37+ hours @ 1.10v (light dim)
    Peak Eiger #Subzero 37+ hours @ 1.11v (light dim)
    Liteflux LF2XT 42+ hours @ .93v (stopped short LF2XT was the first/earliest winner)

Group C AAA runtime (low mode) test results:
    Maratac SS 4-9 hours @ 1.09v
    Gerber Infinity Ultra (Silver) < 10 hours @ 1.14v (light dim)
    Gerber Infinity Ultra (Black) < 10 hours @ 1.15v (light dim)
    CMG Infinity (amber LED) 10-16 hours @ 1.09v
    CMG Infinity (black) 43 hours @ .86v (light dim CMG Infinity was the previous winner)
    4Sevens Preon ReVO (SS) 43.5 hours @ .89v (ReVO is the official AAA Runtime King!!!!)

Default Re: Epic AAA Run-time test (low level only!)

(repeat as needed)

This shoudl be interesting. I'm very curious about these new eigers, looks like a nice higher end alternative to the E01.

To bad peak doesn't make an AA tube for the Eiger eh? Would make a lot of sense...

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    This shoudl be interesting. I'm very curious about these new eigers, looks like a nice higher end alternative to the E01.

To bad peak doesn't make an AA tube for the Eiger eh? Would make a lot of sense...
    That would be cool, an Eiger AA battery tube. Kind of what we are waiting for with Neoseikan making an AA tube for the Fenix E01. Maybe we can get Curt to make one for the Eiger since they do all the machining at Peak?

I'll be doing this test using Duraloops so I may have to do a group A and a group B after the first group is done testing, since I have only 12 Duraloop AAAs and I don't want to mix say 12 lights with Duraloops and the other with Tenergy R2U AAAs for obvious reasons.

Were the last tests done with alkaline or eneloop?

You do risk damage to the cell running it that low you know...

They are new Duraloops and I'll "take one for the team" so to speak if that's the case. I think scout used alkies.

Flashaholic*

If I'm not mistaken, the Peak AAA's have identical threading to the Arc AAA, so the Valient Concepts AA body for the Arc should work, it's like 35 dollars though.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Was still awake so here's a pic of the Group A lights. I have to find my iTP H01 headlamp as I want to see how it compares to the EOS and Maratacs. It will be in Group B by default. A few other Peak lights coming tomorrow will be in the second test. Will be able to add the 2xAAA tube to the Peak Eiger #Sub Zero for that in the next test. Should be fun.

Flashaholic

Looking forward to the results Beacon - it's great when someone is willing to put in the effort to do runtime testing

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    Any predictions on who will win Group A
    I think it will be a close match. However, I think it will be the Peak SubZero that comes out on top. I will check back in a few weeks to see the progress.

Flashaholic*

It's called the El Capitan! Same emitter, electronics & range of power levels as in the Eiger - just a larger head and optic sized for the AA tube. I have not yet seen an El Cap in the newer low, low levels but this test is certainly going to raise questions about the runtime that can be had with an AA.
    Peakaholic!

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Peak AAA's have identical threading to the Arc AAA, so the Valient Concepts AA body for the Arc should work, it's like 35 dollars though.
    I have one of those and yes, it works for the Peak Matterhorns, Eigers, Arc AAA and Mcgizmo Sapphire heads. The eigers are sick on 14500 with the valient concepts AA body. It's also VERY easy to turn the Valient Concepts body
    into a 2 mode AA twisty. reverse the tailspring and tie it into a resistor. get any low level power u want. it's worth the 35$...very versatile with the eigers. Peak's circuit is great, go tritium like lows with a resistor or run it hi-po with a li-ion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Flashlight View Post
    It's called the El Capitan! Same emitter, electronics & range of power levels as in the Eiger - just a larger head and optic sized for the AA tube. I have not yet seen an El Cap in the newer low, low levels but this test is certainly going to raise questions about the runtime that can be had with an AA.
    El Cap low power runtimes are going to be wicked! no point of ever turning it off. just keep feeding it.
    Last edited by MWClint; 08-13-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks for doing this, Beacon. I very much look forward to your results.

Geoff

Like TO, I am getting my ready....

Cool!
    --------------------
    He is the light!

Any predictions on who will win Group A
    Like many of us, I'll be cheering for the new "Subzero", but I have a feeling it's going to be the Fenix E01. Time will tell, I suppose.

Chris

Were the last tests done with alkaline or eneloop? You do risk damage to the cell running it that low you know...
    They are new Duraloops and I'll "take one for the team" so to speak if that's the case.
    IIRC SilverFox did a little deep-discharge abuse testing of Eneloops/Duraloops not too long ago and concluded that there appeared to be minimal damage from single-cell overdischarge. Two cells in series were considered to be at significantly greater risk due to the possibility of reverse charging the lower of the two cells. FWIW,
    Last edited by Kestrel; 08-13-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Good to know but I wasn't worried one bit as I have done several deep discharges in the past without any incidence. heck I still have Eveready Nicad cells from 1991 still usable and they have been through hell over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    IIRC SilverFox did a little deep-discharge abuse testing of Eneloops/Duraloops not too long ago and concluded that there appeared to be minimal damage from single-cell overdischarge. Two cells in series were considered to be at significantly greater risk due to the possibility of reverse charging the lower of the two cells. FWIW,

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nanomu View Post
    Like many of us, I'll be cheering for the new "Subzero", but I have a feeling it's going to be the Fenix E01. Time will tell, I suppose.
    I have a red Eiger in level 1, it outruns my E01 on NiMH, I'm going to say the Subzero's going to come out on top.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    I have a red Eiger in level 1, it outruns my E01 on NiMH, I'm going to say the Subzero's going to come out on top.
    I know the Zebralight H50 on AAs will do around 3 days on low. Doing the math that AAA= 1/3 of AA, would mean 24-30 hours on the AAA but Zebralights tend to shut off before batteries are drained, so other than that I'd say the Liteflux LF2XT or the Eiger #Subzero.

peak peak peak peak peak!!!!!

Flashaholic*

locking in on Sub Zero....will check next month for results.

I'm voting for the peak....

My guess is that Curt, Robyn and Mark had better brace themselves for an influx of zero and sub-zero Eiger orders... Just a guess, of course...

Beacon- You da Man!!! Can't wait to see the zero and sub zero times... Is there any way we can see something of a comparative beamshot of the peaks together? Mine were on Coppertops, these should be interesting... off to research Valiant concepts and ElCaps...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Beacon- You da Man!!! Can't wait to see the zero and sub zero times... Is there any way we can see something of a comparative beamshot of the peaks together? Mine were on Coppertops, these should be interesting... off to research Valiant concepts and ElCaps...
    Scout let me know if you decide to do a test. I have a El Cap. #0 that I can let you borrow for the test.

Beacon I have an extra Mako that you can borrow for your test as well. PM me if you guys want to include it or not.
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

It would be nice to have a Peak #1 in there just as a comparison....

Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast