Foxfury Scout
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Good budget laptop recommendation?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* datiLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Good budget laptop recommendation?

    I am looking for a decent performing laptop to use around the house and with the new wireless router that I just bought. I bought my wife a really nice Compaq that is a powerhouse performer, but I basically just need a computer to surf CPF, check e-mail and maybe run some PCB design software.

    Is there a reputable site that anyone would recommend? I am trying to stay below $300. I have seen Acer laptops at WalMart and the office stores for about that price, but am not too sure of their long term reliability. I can live with a standard processor as long as the memory and RAM are sufficient. I am not picky about the OS or a webcam. It should have a 15"+ screen, though.

    Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have!
    Until further notice, I am not accepting new mod requests.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Oldest City
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    I've got a 4 year old ACER that is a Sempron processor, 1 gig RAM and 60 G HD. It still works perfectly running XP. I also have a 2 year old that is a Core Duo, 2 gig with 160 HD. It's the one I use most and I can not say anything bad about either. They are solid, reliable and cheap. I'll buy ACER again.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling out of their holster . . .
    and never put it all together.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Lite_me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern OH
    Posts
    1,876

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    I just bought one of those Walmart Acers. Seems pretty nice, especially for the money. I like it.

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    7,248

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    Make sure whatever you end up with has Windows 7 installed

    The other [Microsoft] operating systems are bulky and slow, and will make your inexpensive machine that much slower. Windows 7 is lightweight (and easier to use) and will make sure you get the most out of your investment.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* Lite_me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern OH
    Posts
    1,876

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    Just to clarify, the Walmart Acer special does come with 64-bit Win7. Click on Full Description for all the details on the link. $298 while they last.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* datiLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    Thanks guys! It looks like the Acer with Windows 7 is the budget machine for me to look for.
    Until further notice, I am not accepting new mod requests.

  7. #7
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bath, Pa USA
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    Quote Originally Posted by datiLED View Post
    I am looking for a decent performing laptop to use around the house and with the new wireless router that I just bought. I bought my wife a really nice Compaq that is a powerhouse performer, but I basically just need a computer to surf CPF, check e-mail and maybe run some PCB design software.

    Is there a reputable site that anyone would recommend? I am trying to stay below $300. I have seen Acer laptops at WalMart and the office stores for about that price, but am not too sure of their long term reliability. I can live with a standard processor as long as the memory and RAM are sufficient. I am not picky about the OS or a webcam. It should have a 15"+ screen, though.

    Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have!

    Dellauction.com

    I have gotten several systems and they are always mint - cannot tell from new

    Also the dell monitors rock

  8. #8

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    I would keep an eye on dell website. Sometimes they have laptop that are on sale that are within your budget. Have you consider a netbook? Since they are nice and light and your only going to use the laptop to surf the internet.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* datiLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    Quote Originally Posted by leeholaaho View Post
    Dellauction.com

    I have gotten several systems and they are always mint - cannot tell from new

    Also the dell monitors rock
    I registered on the site, and will check it out from time to time. I'm hoping that WalMart will do their Acer deal again soon, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by integera1 View Post
    I would keep an eye on dell website. Sometimes they have laptop that are on sale that are within your budget. Have you consider a netbook? Since they are nice and light and your only going to use the laptop to surf the internet.
    I am not looking for a netbook. That mini screen would kill me. Besides, I want to do some PCB design and am used to a 19" monitor. The weight isn't really an issue, as long as it can do what I want with reasonable speed.
    Until further notice, I am not accepting new mod requests.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* Lite_me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern OH
    Posts
    1,876

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    Quote Originally Posted by datiLED View Post
    I'm hoping that WalMart will do their Acer deal again soon, though.
    They might be just out of em' in your area. I just picked up another one yesterday. Might check around.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

    I'll vote for the ACER models, I picked one up a one at Best Buy for $250 w Windows 7 over the Christmas holiday and can't be happier. Just keep an eye out for sales.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •