Foxfury Scout

Thread: Good budget laptop recommendation?

Default Good budget laptop recommendation?

I am looking for a decent performing laptop to use around the house and with the new wireless router that I just bought. I bought my wife a really nice Compaq that is a powerhouse performer, but I basically just need a computer to surf CPF, check e-mail and maybe run some PCB design software.

Is there a reputable site that anyone would recommend? I am trying to stay below $300. I have seen Acer laptops at WalMart and the office stores for about that price, but am not too sure of their long term reliability. I can live with a standard processor as long as the memory and RAM are sufficient. I am not picky about the OS or a webcam. It should have a 15"+ screen, though.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have!
    Until further notice, I am not accepting new mod requests.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Good budget laptop recommendation?

I've got a 4 year old ACER that is a Sempron processor, 1 gig RAM and 60 G HD. It still works perfectly running XP. I also have a 2 year old that is a Core Duo, 2 gig with 160 HD. It's the one I use most and I can not say anything bad about either. They are solid, reliable and cheap. I'll buy ACER again.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling out of their holster . . .
    and never put it all together.

I just bought one of those Walmart Acers. Seems pretty nice, especially for the money. I like it.

Make sure whatever you end up with has Windows 7 installed

The other [Microsoft] operating systems are bulky and slow, and will make your inexpensive machine that much slower. Windows 7 is lightweight (and easier to use) and will make sure you get the most out of your investment.

Just to clarify, the Walmart Acer special does come with 64-bit Win7. Click on Full Description for all the details on the link. $298 while they last.

Thanks guys! It looks like the Acer with Windows 7 is the budget machine for me to look for.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by datiLED View Post
    I am looking for a decent performing laptop to use around the house and with the new wireless router that I just bought. I bought my wife a really nice Compaq that is a powerhouse performer, but I basically just need a computer to surf CPF, check e-mail and maybe run some PCB design software.

Is there a reputable site that anyone would recommend? I am trying to stay below $300. I have seen Acer laptops at WalMart and the office stores for about that price, but am not too sure of their long term reliability. I can live with a standard processor as long as the memory and RAM are sufficient. I am not picky about the OS or a webcam. It should have a 15"+ screen, though.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have!

Dellauction.com

I have gotten several systems and they are always mint - cannot tell from new

Also the dell monitors rock

I would keep an eye on dell website. Sometimes they have laptop that are on sale that are within your budget. Have you consider a netbook? Since they are nice and light and your only going to use the laptop to surf the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by leeholaaho View Post
    Dellauction.com

I have gotten several systems and they are always mint - cannot tell from new

Also the dell monitors rock
    I registered on the site, and will check it out from time to time. I'm hoping that WalMart will do their Acer deal again soon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by integera1 View Post
    I would keep an eye on dell website. Sometimes they have laptop that are on sale that are within your budget. Have you consider a netbook? Since they are nice and light and your only going to use the laptop to surf the internet.
    I am not looking for a netbook. That mini screen would kill me. Besides, I want to do some PCB design and am used to a 19" monitor. The weight isn't really an issue, as long as it can do what I want with reasonable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by datiLED View Post
    I'm hoping that WalMart will do their Acer deal again soon, though.
    They might be just out of em' in your area. I just picked up another one yesterday. Might check around.

I'll vote for the ACER models, I picked one up a one at Best Buy for $250 w Windows 7 over the Christmas holiday and can't be happier. Just keep an eye out for sales.