Good budget laptop recommendation?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a decent performing laptop to use around the house and with the new wireless router that I just bought. I bought my wife a really nice Compaq that is a powerhouse performer, but I basically just need a computer to surf CPF, check e-mail and maybe run some PCB design software.

Is there a reputable site that anyone would recommend? I am trying to stay below $300. I have seen Acer laptops at WalMart and the office stores for about that price, but am not too sure of their long term reliability. I can live with a standard processor as long as the memory and RAM are sufficient. I am not picky about the OS or a webcam. It should have a 15"+ screen, though.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have!

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 4 year old ACER that is a Sempron processor, 1 gig RAM and 60 G HD. It still works perfectly running XP. I also have a 2 year old that is a Core Duo, 2 gig with 160 HD. It's the one I use most and I can not say anything bad about either. They are solid, reliable and cheap. I'll buy ACER again.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one of those Walmart Acers. Seems pretty nice, especially for the money. I like it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
:caution: Make sure whatever you end up with has Windows 7 installed :caution:

The other [Microsoft] operating systems are bulky and slow, and will make your inexpensive machine that much slower. Windows 7 is lightweight (and easier to use) and will make sure you get the most out of your investment.

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a decent performing laptop to use around the house and with the new wireless router that I just bought. I bought my wife a really nice Compaq that is a powerhouse performer, but I basically just need a computer to surf CPF, check e-mail and maybe run some PCB design software.

Is there a reputable site that anyone would recommend? I am trying to stay below $300. I have seen Acer laptops at WalMart and the office stores for about that price, but am not too sure of their long term reliability. I can live with a standard processor as long as the memory and RAM are sufficient. I am not picky about the OS or a webcam. It should have a 15"+ screen, though.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have!

Dellauction.com

I have gotten several systems and they are always mint - cannot tell from new

Also the dell monitors rock

integera1

Newly Enlightened
I would keep an eye on dell website. Sometimes they have laptop that are on sale that are within your budget. Have you consider a netbook? Since they are nice and light and your only going to use the laptop to surf the internet.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dellauction.com

I have gotten several systems and they are always mint - cannot tell from new

Also the dell monitors rock
I registered on the site, and will check it out from time to time. I'm hoping that WalMart will do their Acer deal again soon, though.

I would keep an eye on dell website. Sometimes they have laptop that are on sale that are within your budget. Have you consider a netbook? Since they are nice and light and your only going to use the laptop to surf the internet.
I am not looking for a netbook. That mini screen would kill me. Besides, I want to do some PCB design and am used to a 19" monitor. The weight isn't really an issue, as long as it can do what I want with reasonable speed.

lightmup

Newly Enlightened
I'll vote for the ACER models, I picked one up a one at Best Buy for $250 w Windows 7 over the Christmas holiday and can't be happier. Just keep an eye out for sales.