4 Sevens
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots-

Default Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -Beamshots-

This is insane, and cool... it is insanely cool!
    Wow!!!

Default Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -Beamshots-

Absolutely insane!

Super Moderator

Those beamshot photos are CRAZY!

It did not explode or give the OP heatstroke, although it looks as if it scorched a significant part of the landscape there, lol.

It has therefore been added to The BIG Lights thread !
    Resistance is futile...

Lol, nice! A true flooder in every sense of the word.

This light is so riduculously stupid that I like it!!! Great work!

WOW!!!

How long to cook a steak with that thing? 10 seconds?
    Fenix TK40/LD10/L2D/E01/NiteCore D10/SolarForce L2m & L2/Icon Rogue 1/Quark AA² Tactical/Aurora SH-034/SKYRAY S-R5/UltraFire WF-504B/iTP A3 EOS/TrustFire XP-EF23 & F20/Akoray K-106/Romisen RC-A5 & RC-N3 II/Tank007 E07/LunaPower Lumahunter.

Flashaholic*

Steffen don't worry about the holidays you missed. Pack all these crazy things and come to Crete! I will lend you my car and house for as much time as you like(as long as you let me play at that time with these!)

-------
    Last edited by -Gast-; 08-20-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: ----

Party Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -Beamshots-

Awesome!!! What is the run time on that? That thing is jaw dropping.

OMG! I want one NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by -Gast- View Post
    -------
    +1.

This light reduces one to stunning silence
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Enlightened

I am a little worried about the current of 13A.
    The rating is something like 10A, and I suspect that you are not getting any, or at least very few, lumen for the last 3A.

Building a driver for that current is not easy, but you could remove 1 or 2 batteries and replace them with turned brass/aluminium dummies. Or a small stick wrapped in tinfoil.

(In case I did not mention it before)

Apparently overdog is bucking to be the first person to pose a serious danger to aircraft pilots without using a laser beam...

...so how much recoil does that thing have when you turn it on?

On a more serious note, with that much current you should seriously consider using an automotive relay instead of running all the power through the switch.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 08-20-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Flashaholic

wow ...

You know things are getting crazy when we are comparing a flashlight to car headlight beams, and the flashlight looks easily 4-10 times as bright as those.

that has got to be the brightest LED "flashlight" out there...

but... looks like there is room on the center of that heatsink for 4 more emitters, and I believe there is a version of that flashlight body that does 12 IMR batts instead of 8. That would have to be the max lumens, around 24000 lumens, that is possible from an LED flashlight that you could still call a flashlight...

Yeah... yeah... yeah...

Where is the .001 lumen moon mode huh??? and the lug for a split ring so that it can be attached to a key chain???

Seriously though; WOW! WOW! WOW!
    -Goatee

Flashaholic

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little but at this current level I start thinking more in terms of a contactor than a relay.
    Here's a snip from a web page of the difference of the two:

Now, in response to your "difference" question... the terms are delineated by the power they must carry. Here are definitions presented in Struthers-Dunn "Relay Engineering" manual (ca 1945):

Relay
    An electrically controlled device that opens and closes electrical contacts to effect the operation of other devices in the same or another circuit.

Contactor
    A magnetically-operated device, for repeatedly establishing and interrupting an electrical power circuit. It is usually applied to devices controlling power above 5kW, whereas the term 'relay' is ordinarily employed below 5kW. The terms are often used interchangeably.

Well done Steffan!! What is the recoil like when you turn it on :-)

Boltgun
    1*

Boltgun on: www.lightfighter.net, www.canadiangunnutz.com, Tactical Concepts on: www.ar15.com

OMG...

I love it!

Flashaholic*

Very impressive. I will need to see that thing sometime when I visit Germany.
    Homebuilts - "BREEZE" RCR2 sidexside, "Tornado" 4 x 18650 side x side, Streamlight SL20x LED module (Custom BST Feeler Thread)

I should've built my 4 X MC-E project SUCH a long time ago. It ain't gonna' get so much as a ho-hum from anyone now, perhaps not even from me.

Gee... thanks, Overdog.

Just kidding... this thing is incredible! Hard to believe the beamshots are from a regular tube format flashlight!
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    +1.

This light reduces one to stunning silence
    For a couple of days, to make brain clear!

Anyhow + for have the guts to test some limits !
    Crazy bright this flashlight!

First question is that popping up, How long time is it possible to use the flashlight continuous?
    Are we talking about seconds, or is it in fact pretty neat and a can run for like 10 minutes?

all I can say is "Holy sh#t!" lol and I love that light
    2 2D MagLites: 4D Mag/6Cree Q5 led drop-in: MiniMag 2AA: 2 3AAA Fenix TK11 R5

My goodness, that is just insane! But, please, please do use something, "relay," "contactor," or even telepathy to complete that circuit! That thing is POWERFUL.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Hello,
    at first I like to say thank you to DM51 for adding this light to "The BIG Lights" thread, I feel really honoured!

Thank you for nice comments to myvrmnd, ktheo, don.gwapo, Illum, pepko, CKOD, 300winmag,
    vudoo, ptolemy, ahorton, Nos, Dark Laser, Fichtenelch, Zeruel, Der Wichtel, Nokoff, irv usc,
    smokelaw1, jellydonut, ma_sha1, CarpentryHero, ^Gurthang, PCC, moviles, mrartillery, alpg88,
    Al Combs, Essexman, flashfiend, aurum, Pöbel, XRAYBoY, jirik cz, gt40, wquiles, 350xfire,
    junglewarrior, chanjyj, easyled, bshanahan14rulz, Hill, Starlight, Mr. Tone, Turoled, smokelaw,
    0ld4570, NeSSuS-GTE, chenko, supasizefries, finishfool, ergotelis, Gast, Lightsward, Thiers-Issard,
    Toke, tx101, fyrstormer, David Gretzmier, >, Scott Packard, Boltgun, LilKevin715, Eddie-M, Harry-N,
    Bimmerboy, ttwhin, The Police, LEDAdd1ct and all the others for watching!

I did not find the time yet to answer all questionss detailed, sorry therefore, but to the more asked questions I can say,
    that the switch is still alive (!), runtime at all for this light should be at about 5-7 minutes, but to prevent the batteries
    from getting damaged I recharged them now for two times
    after a total runtime of about 4 -5 minutes each time. I ran the light step by step for a longer time- longest runtime
    at all over 1.30 minutes without getting too hot or some change into blueish colour for the emitters. I think it does
    it´s job what I made it for: to be really bright and having not a real use for everyday use...

I hope that I will find more time next days to answer all questions!

I updated post one with more beamshots, "The Frankfurt Holiday Inn" and the "Messeturm Frankfurt", 70 floors overground.

Thank you for watching & best regards,
    Steffen.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots

Woah. Something tells me the Frankfurt PD got a whole bunch more calls about UFOs that night.

Now you just need to get someone else to take a photo from an angle to better show that beam. Surely there must be volunteers?

Super Moderator

Default Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Woah. Something tells me the Frankfurt PD got a whole bunch more calls about UFOs that night.
    LOL!
    Resistance is futile...

Thumbs up Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots

Outstanding!

So, can you make it waterproof and how many minutes would you get underwater with it before the batteries died?
    Thread-killer.

This is insane! Someone get this guy to a mental institution before he builds something even bigger!