Tire Pumps

BruiseLee

Enlightened
I'm just wondering what everyone is using to keep their car's tires inflated at the proper pressure these days. There basically aren't any gas stations with free compressed air where I live anymore. I have an old PowerStation air compressor / portable battery jumper / 120V power source I bought from Costco years ago, but the battery in that is failing now, and a new battery to replace it costs more than I paid for the unit.

I still have my dad's old manual pump, but that thing is older than I am, and it takes a huge amount of work to pump up a tire beyond 35 PSI.

Any manual or electric tire pumps/air compressors out there someone can recommend?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You are nuts trying to use a manual pump on car tires. I would invest in a 12v car inflator. I have one by intermatic from the 90s that you can dial in the pressure you want and it stops when it reaches it. Doesn't get any easier than that. It is possible your battery jumper/compressor could be adapted to work off your 12v car system you could remove the battery in it, probably an SLA I bought 5 SLA batteries off ebay for decent prices a few months ago but buying one the shipping ends up around $10 so it is best to order a few others for things like UPSes and spotlights too

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
gas stations are suppose to provide you with air and water, if you buy gas from them. even if the machine costs money to operate, ask the cashier/teller for the tokens. i live in the same area, and thats my understanding of it.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
look at a decent priced 12volt. i have a green slime one for 3 years with no problems but have owned the walmart specials and they usually melt from the heat the first time. u get what u pay for just remember that. good luck.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I got a $40 12V portable compressor for Lowe's a few years back; it's about the size of a thick hardback book, has a backlit gauge on it, and a carrying case. I keep it stored inside the spare in the trunk, so it's always ready to go. I'd agree it's not fast to inflate a large tire, but to maintain car tires without quarters or waiting in line, it's perfect.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
gas stations are suppose to provide you with air and water, if you buy gas from them. even if the machine costs money to operate, ask the cashier/teller for the tokens. i live in the same area, and thats my understanding of it.

I work in a Petrol station & you will find that most companies will offer it as a "service" but they are in no way required to have air/water stations available.

The one at my site requires repairs 2 - 4+ times a month from wear & tear, abuse, being driven over, theft etc.

They end up costing a huge amount of money to maintain. If I remember right the repair costs for the air system (Compressor, Hose, reel, gauge unit & nozzle) came to around the $13,000 mark & we were one of the few sites with the least repair call outs in the country.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I always keep a foot pump in my car. It's good for emergencies, but definitely a pain to pump more than a few pounds. Got a 12v model at home. Really hate the noise, but it sure is easier.

Geoff

Toke

Newly Enlightened
I have seen a hobbyist farmer using a compressor from an old fridge.
They are intended for refrigerant, not air, but will work for a while.

Next question would be, "was this fridge thrown out due to leak, or due to burnt off compressor" :D

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened

how did you come to this "understanding?"

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
Big O tires will also fill for free, and less important in your area--will give free windshield washer fluid in snowstorms.

combinatorix

Newly Enlightened
I've always used a bike pump to check and top off my tires - a good bike pump with a good gauge is easy, accurate enough, and it really doesn't take much work if you're not starting from flat. I used to have access to air at a shop I worked at and could always borrow a 5 gallon tank - so I've never really had a need I guess.

These days compressors are not so bad - you can get a decent one with a tank for around $100. And they will work if you ever use any pneumatic tools. Something small like this might work too, although it will never run any heavy tools: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IE0YIQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

ama230

Enlightened
i had one of the same ones go bad the same way. I sure got alot of good use out of it. I have been eye'n them every time i go down the isle and waiting for them to go down to less than 60 then ill pull the trigger. they are sure worth the money!!!!

But got dang it, you would at least think they would put at agm battery in there instead of a sla. Also be awesome to have one big eneloop or lsd nimh battery. The one I had died to it constantly being 120F+ all the time but lasted a couple of years of really hard abuse.

I would advise anybody to get one if they had the money because if you figure for the 20-30 bucks you spend on a 12v corded one, you can get one thats totally portable and is great for any situation. I also hate having to carry battery cables as I am always freaking out hooking my car to someone elses. They try to crank their car before I get mine started.:thumbsdow

If it lasts more than a year than its done its job anyways...

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. Based on them, I decided to not get a manual pump type. I also decided not to get a pump with a battery in it - I figured if I did get one it would last maybe 5-7 years at the most like a regular car battery, Prius battery, etc., just like my old PowerStation brand unit did.

I've got to remember to ask the local gas station attendant if I can use their air machine for free next time I'm there. It's worth a shot.

I ended up getting this:

[hotlinked image deleted - DM51]

I saw it at Costco for $40. I think its a brand new model since I couldn't find any online reviews of it. But, Costco has a great return policy, so I decided to go for it.

I used it tonight on both of my cars. Very easy to use. Built in pressure gauge works perfectly. A little noisy. Puts out air at a decent rate. It seems fairly sturdy, comes with a bunch of accessories for inflating air mattresses, balls, etc., which all store within the unit.

The hose clamp attached to all my tire stems perfectly. I bought my mom an old Coleman electric air pump, and that thing always seemed to leak air when you attached it.

So far, I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: