Effect of Charge Rate on Elite 1700 High Rate Discharge

Battery Guy

Enlightened
[Note for the reader: If you have not been following this thread from the beginning, I feel obliged to warn you that it gets pretty confusing and that there is no clear resolution to the original question on the effect of charge rate on high rate discharge. The problem was that during the testing of new Elite 1700 cells, we ultimately discovered that there has been a significant decrease in high rate (10 A) discharge performance compared to older versions. Unfortunately, this change in the Elite 1700 performance has made pursuing this topic somewhat moot.

That being said, there is a lot of interesting discussion and test data in this thread, so please feel free to read it. Just be forewarned that you are likely not going to get the information that the thread title suggestions.

Cheers,
Battery Guy]

Greetings Everyone

The topic of this thread came out of an off topic discussion that started in a separate thread on chargers. There is an assumption among many Elite 1700 users that in order to get the best high discharge rate performance from these cells, that they should be also be charged at a high rate, ~2C. Obviously, if any NiMH cell is charged fast and used "hot off the charger", it will perform better at high rate. However, the anecdotal evidence suggests that there is more to it than that, and that even if a rapidly charged Elite 1700 cell is allowed to cool sufficiently to room temperature, that it will perform better at high rate if charged fast.

I for one voiced skepticism of this hypothesis, so LuxLuthor, SilverFox, 45/70 and I agreed upon a simple test. I would take a new Elite 1700 cell, charge it at 0.1C for 16 hours, let it rest for one hour, then discharge it at a high rate. I would then take that same cell, charge it at 2C and discharge it at the same rate.

Seems simple enough, right? Well, if you are reading this post for an answer to the question, then you can stop now, because I don't have one. It turns out that this issue may be a bit more complicated than initially thought. I am starting this thread because I thought that some of you might be interested in seeing the results as they come in, and voice opinions as to how the experimental procedure might be modified to make the results more meaningful.

For those of you still with me, you will be interested to know that I completed the first part of the experiment. I took a random, brand new, Elite 1700 cell that I received in the mail from cheapbatterypacks.com on Monday. I discharged the cell at .5 A to bring it to 0 % SOC, and then charged it at 0.170 mA (0.1C) for 16 hours, let it rest for one hour, then discharged it at 10 amps to a 0.8 V cut-off. The discharge curve is shown in the plot below, along with a 10 amp discharge curve for a different Elite 1700 cell that I tested last week and posted the results from in this thread. Keep in mind that both of these cells were discharged at 10 amps on the same instrument using spot welded nickel leads.

elitebreak-in1.jpg

For clarification purposes, here are the differences between the two cells:

1.) New Elite Cell (let's call it Cell A, the red line in the plot above) was unused prior to testing. It was discharged at 0.5 amps to 0.8 V, charged at 0.17 amps (0.1C) for 16 hours, rested for 1 hour, discharged at 10 amps to 0.8 V.

2.) Elite cell after several charge discharge cycles (let's call it Cell B, the blue line in the plot above) was unused prior to testing. It was charged at 2 amps on each cycle, rested for 30 minutes, and discharged from 1 amp to 10 amps in 1 amp increments. The discharge curve shown above is for the 10th discharge at 10 amps.

I was shocked by the difference in performance. Unfortunately, the only conclusion that I can draw from this result is that if you get a new Elite 1700 cell, don't expect to get good high rate performance initially with a slow charge.

It might be that Cell A was simply not broken in. Or it might be that Cell B has better high rate performance because it was charged several times at a higher current (2 amps).

I fear that if I continue the experiment as originally devised that we will still not know the real answer. If I now charge Cell A at 2C, then discharge it at 10 A and it performs better, we won't know if the performance improvement comes from the faster charging, or if the additional cycling is helping it to break in.

So I have changed the experimental procedure. As a write this, Cell A is being charged a second time at 0.1C for 16 hours. At the end of that charge, I am discharging it at 1.7 amps (1C) to 0.8 V, followed by holding it at 0.8 V until the discharge current tapers to <0.05 amps (this is essentially the opposite of a CC/CV charge, and is a fast way to completely discharge the cell). Cell A will then be recharged at 0.1C for 16 hours, followed by a 10 amp discharge. I will repeat this process until there is no change in the 10 amp performance. At that point, I will assume that the cell is "broken-in", and will charge it at 2C followed by a 10 amp discharge.

I will continue to post results as they come in. We can then decide if the experiment is conclusive, or if it needs to be repeated with some modification.

As you can see, I am now on a mission to determine once and for all if there is an effect of charge rate on the high current discharge performance of these cells. These initial results have me confused. I don't like to be confused.

As always, suggestions are welcome.

Cheers...and stay tuned!
BG

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a plan, BG. There's always those damn variables and conditions getting in the way. :crackup:

Dave

MarioJP

Enlightened
I honestly think it does. I did a test like that while ago and discharge rate does effect the performance of the cell. They may perform better at the expense of lost capacity. Noticed that the new elite cell did not perform as the blue one but had more capacity.

I am in a similar test like yours except my test is about charging fast vs slow will effect to when will the cell soc. What is considered "usable capacity vs total capacity of the cell"

So far I noticed that the higher the discharge the harder it is to squeeze every last bit of capacity out of the cells.

I just did a test cycle on my eneloops and i got funny results and wasn't happy at all. The cells were bit off from other as much as by 100 mah. And this was 1A/500mA.

Now I am repeating the test only this time charging at 700ma discharging 500ma.

I simply did not like the results of the last test. Seems like the cells did not get topped off. Whats more i did the same test on the other set of eneloops and it came off 1900mah at 500ma discharge??. Whats interesting is lowered the discharge rate to 100mA and got extra 110 out. (ah there's the last 100mAh that was missing) In fact this seems like that usable capacity is determined by discharge rate lol.

So I am repeating the test and wondering if too much of a current = not fully charged cell.

I Guess i find out once the test completes.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel that the effect of "breaking in" on a cell has to be eliminated first.

Hence one cell (or two cells) should be thoroughly cycled until their performance looks like the blue curve on the plot -- this becomes the baseline performance.

After this the two cells should then be treated differently. One cell should be tested by charging at a high rate between high rate discharge tests for a few cycles, while the other cell should be charged at a low rate between discharge tests for a few cycles. After an equal number of cycles the discharge curves of each cell should then be compared.

If charge rate has no effect then both discharge curves should remain similar at the end of the test. On the other hand, if charge rate does make a difference then the two curves will start to diverge.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
I feel that the effect of "breaking in" on a cell has to be eliminated first.

Hence one cell (or two cells) should be thoroughly cycled until their performance looks like the blue curve on the plot -- this becomes the baseline performance.

Agreed. I will continue to cycle the cell, charging at 0.1C rate and alternating discharge between low and high rate, until either the 10 A discharge curve looks like the blue plot, or stops changing.

After this the two cells should then be treated differently. One cell should be tested by charging at a high rate between high rate discharge tests for a few cycles, while the other cell should be charged at a low rate between discharge tests for a few cycles. After an equal number of cycles the discharge curves of each cell should then be compared.

If charge rate has no effect then both discharge curves should remain similar at the end of the test. On the other hand, if charge rate does make a difference then the two curves will start to diverge.

Yes, this is exactly what I am thinking. Thanks Mr. Happy!

Cheers,
BG

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
An expansion on what Mr. Happy said...

First you need to know you are starting with the same consistent quality of cells. So I would have done the same charge/discharge tests on at least four cells (especially if some are new) and made sure that you have controlled for any variation in batch/QA that I used to see with Elite 2/3A. I don't think I would have mixed new with used (broken in). Just because I found Elite 1700 to have more consistent quality in comparison to their 2/3A cells, doesn't mean that this Chinese made product has maintained their standards. In addition, Mike at CBP buys many of these cells in lots of 5,000 which could sit unused for quite some time, and without refreshing charges to keep them from self-discharging to a <0.9V level. You have no way of knowing which stock of his cells you are getting, despite thinking it would be logical for him to continually monitor and rotate his stock to get rid of older first. Now you need to control these variables.

Once you are starting with apples to apples, then I would do the same tests of 2C vs. 0.1C charge testing on two cells each to help evaluation possible variation in cell quality and your technique. Also making sure you don't have one of them as a still heated cell. With the above results, I think you have to start the experiment over because you have too many uncontrolled starting variables to be useful.

How did you charge each cell (what charger), and assuming you did not use a Power Supply, do you have a way to make sure the 16 hr .1C charger didn't terminate early and/or verify the mAh put into the cell?

Last edited:

Battery Guy

Enlightened
An expansion on what Mr. Happy said...

First you need to know you are starting with the same consistent quality of cells. So I would have done the same charge/discharge tests on at least four cells (especially if some are new) and made sure that you have controlled for any variation in batch/QA that I used to see with Elite 2/3A. I don't think I would have mixed new with used (broken in). Just because I found Elite 1700 to have more consistent quality in comparison to their 2/3A cells, doesn't mean that this Chinese made product has maintained their standards. In addition, Mike at CBP buys many of these cells in lots of 5,000 which could sit unused for quite some time, and without refreshing charges to keep them from self-discharging to a <0.9V level. You have no way of knowing which stock of his cells you are getting, despite thinking it would be logical for him to continually monitor and rotate his stock to get rid of older first. Now you need to control these variables.

Agreed. I thought we could do a simple experiment, but if we want to make it rock solid and air tight, then more rigor is needed.

So I think that I am going to stop the existing experiment. I have four cells that were received this week from CBP sitting on the C9000 running in break-in mode. When that is finished on Friday, I will pull them and run a discharge test on all of them to confirm that they are relatively identical. Do you think that a 1C discharge would be appropriate? If not, what would you recommend that I do to insure that all four cells are representative of the population?

Once you are starting with apples to apples, then I would do the same tests of 2C vs. 0.1C charge testing on two cells each to help evaluation possible variation in cell quality and your technique. Also making sure you don't have one of them as a still heated cell. With the above results, I think you have to start the experiment over because you have too many uncontrolled starting variables to be useful.

I am not sure why you think that the experiment needs to be started over. Or are you just suggesting that I run everything in duplicate to confirm the results? Assuming that you would like to see the experiment run in duplicate, I will just take two of the four cells and do the 2C test, while the other two cells I will run on the 0.1C test.

How did you charge each cell (what charger), and assuming you did not use a Power Supply, do you have a way to make sure the 16 hr .1C charger didn't terminate early and/or verify the mAh put into the cell?

All of my testing (actually, everything that I have ever posted on CPF) has been done on a calibrated Maccor Series 4300 tester. I program the test procedures myself, and I am quite confident that the unit does exactly what I program it to do.

Cheers,
BG

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Do you think that a 1C discharge would be appropriate? If not, what would you recommend that I do to insure that all four cells are representative of the population?

Knowing that these cells want to be pushed, I would probably verify consistency at 5A Discharge rate.

I am not sure why you think that the experiment needs to be started over.
Mainly because of the wildly disparate initial results which makes it look like they are not even the same brand of cells. When you use the original plots, there may have been some residual heat in the cells, or some other effect on the cell's electrolyte equilibrium from the frequency/timing of repeated charge/discharge plots. I'm grasping at straws, but the conditions are not at all the same if you keep the original plots, as they would be if you thoughtfully controlled for all the variables.

Or are you just suggesting that I run everything in duplicate to confirm the results? Assuming that you would like to see the experiment run in duplicate, I will just take two of the four cells and do the 2C test, while the other two cells I will run on the 0.1C test.
That result is so freaky, I think in addition to controlling more variables, if you also do two cells for each charge rate, it would give consistency that would leave little question on your results validity. I know it is more work, but your OP test now screams a need for consistency correlation.

All of my testing (actually, everything that I have ever posted on CPF) has been done on a calibrated Maccor Series 4300 tester. I program the test procedures myself, and I am quite confident that the unit does exactly what I program it to do.
Cool. I tend to ask about more details of someone's testing foundation platform rather than assuming that you have an adequate and reliable setup & understanding. Using two cells will help double check that the Maccor is indeed doing exactly the same thing to both cells at each charge rate.

An unrelated comparison is when people report a certain measured lumen reading of an LED, there are the obvious questions of "Was the emitter inside of a light/reflector/lens?" "Is it regulated power or direct drive?" "Is it being measured in an Integrating Sphere (I.S.) ?" etc. But then there are the more subtle questions of "Are you using the correct Spectral Sensor & Scale for LED?" "Did you have your photometer and IS calibrated?" "How do you know it is still in calibration?" etc.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Knowing that these cells want to be pushed, I would probably verify consistency at 5A Discharge rate.

After a few hours of thought, I am now considering doing a 10A discharge after the C9000 break-in is complete. If all 4 cells look similar, I plan to do the following:

Cell 1: charge at 0.1C 16 hours followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge
Cell 2: charge at 0.5C followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge
Cell 3: charge at 1C followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge
Cell 4: charge at 2C followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge

Mainly because of the wildly disparate initial results which makes it look like they are not even the same brand of cells. When you use the original plots, there may have been some residual heat in the cells, or some other effect on the cell's electrolyte equilibrium from the frequency/timing of repeated charge/discharge plots. I'm grasping at straws, but the conditions are not at all the same if you keep the original plots, as they would be if you thoughtfully controlled for all the variables.

As of today we are starting this experiment over with four brand new cells. The previous results that I posted are just too weird and too many variables. It is much easier and cleaner to punt and start over.

That result is so freaky, I think in addition to controlling more variables, if you also do two cells for each charge rate, it would give consistency that would leave little question on your results validity. I know it is more work, but your OP test now screams a need for consistency correlation.

Agreed. Take a look at the new experiment plan above and see what you think.

Cool. I tend to ask about more details of someone's testing foundation platform rather than assuming that you have an adequate and reliable setup & understanding. Using two cells will help double check that the Maccor is indeed doing exactly the same thing to both cells at each charge rate.

I am in serious trouble if my Maccor is not giving me reproducible data. It is a very expensive piece of equipment (~$30k) and I calibrate it regularly.

Let's take a look at the results from the experimental plan above. If they seem to make sense, I will verify a couple of the results by duplicating the tests on another set of new cells.

The break-in of the four new cells will be complete on Friday morning. That gives me all day Friday to do the second set of cycling experiments on Cell 2, Cell 3 and Cell 4. I should be able to post those results late on Friday. Results from Cell 1 won't be in until Monday because the second charge will take 16 hours.

So let me know if this experimental plan sounds reasonable to you. We have until Friday morning to make changes. Otherwise, on Friday I will pull all four cells out of the C9000 and discharge them at 10 A. Assuming the discharge curves all look reasonably similar, I will proceed with the tests as described above.

Thanks for the input Lux! I really appreciate it, and I can't wait until Friday! I love this stuff! :D

Cheers,
BG

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Battery Guy,

You give a guy a simple set of instructions, and he throws something else in to muddy up the works... :)

No problem at all and I am glad you are looking closely at this. The best test plans often suffer from immediate revision...

I believe I did mention that the first step would be to run a few charge/discharge cycles to break the cells in, but I am also surprised in the difference posted in the graph. I believe Sanyo has published graphs that show NiMh cells continue to improve over something like 50 cycles, but the improvement after the first few cycles is not that great.

I will throw this out for consideration...

Start with a 0.1C 16 hour charge. I believe this is what you are doing.

Next, charge at 1C and discharge at 2C for 5 cycles. This will serve as the break in conditioning.

Now, run the comparison test.

What do you think about that?

Tom

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
BG, review Tom's (esteemed) sensible input, I am less concerned with the method of break-in and/or conditioning of cells, and more that the same consistent method and preliminary conditions were used in preparation with a group of 4 cells.

Personally, I would rather see just two tests each done, but with 2 cells to demonstrate a consistent correlation within a pair of identically prepared cells. We are going to learn the answer we are wondering about by comparing 1 pair (that hopefully will give the same results) against a second pair with everything the same except 2C vs. 0.1C x 16hrs charge. My idea with the duplicate pair is that it will virtually eliminate any questions, second guessing, variations in cell quality/batches, your technique, etc.

Proposed Stage 1:

• Cell 1 & 2: charge at 0.1C 16 hours followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge

• Cell 3 & 4: charge at 2C followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge
If that shows a significant difference that is correlated within each pair, you could then reverse the pair charges in a Stage 2. That would tell you if the effect is reproduced the same way, and be a way to double check your Stage 1 results with even more consistency where the only difference is isolated to the charge rate.

Proposed Stage 2

• Cell 3 & 4: charge at 0.1C 16 hours followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge

• Cell 1 & 2: charge at 2C followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge

If you don't get correlation with the same result curve in each pair subjected to the respective low & high charge rate conditions, then we know something else is going on with either the cells or your methodology.

PS) I only asked what your PS/Charge/Discharge tester was since I had no idea what, or if you were using a quality setup. It was not to cast negative aspersions on your Maaco once you identified what you are using. I was not initially rulling out any possible variable to explain the OP result. I doubt any other users on this forum would invest the amount that unit costs for our "hobby," having seen a used one was selling for $12K !!! Rather I did not want to assume you must be using credible equipment without asking the question. Now we know. Having said that, if you don't get consistent results within a pair, everything must be looked at, including that any piece of electronics can develop a heretofore unseen problem.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
BG, review Tom's (esteemed) sensible input, I am less concerned with the method of break-in and/or conditioning of cells, and more that the same consistent method and preliminary conditions were used in preparation with a group of 4 cells.

Agreed! Completely and totally with both you and Tom.

Personally, I would rather see just two tests each done, but with 2 cells to demonstrate a consistent correlation within a pair of identically prepared cells. We are going to learn the answer we are wondering about by comparing 1 pair (that hopefully will give the same results) against a second pair with everything the same except 2C vs. 0.1C x 16hrs charge. My idea with the duplicate pair is that it will virtually eliminate any questions, second guessing, variations in cell quality/batches, your technique, etc.

Proposed Stage 1:

• Cell 1 & 2: charge at 0.1C 16 hours followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge

• Cell 3 & 4: charge at 2C followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge
If that shows a significant difference that is correlated within each pair, you could then reverse the pair charges in a Stage 2. That would tell you if the effect is reproduced the same way, and be a way to double check your Stage 1 results with even more consistency where the only difference is isolated to the charge rate.

Ok, I am good with this. I was thinking that the 0.5C and 1C charge rate tests might provide some insight into the critical charge rate that would be required to "activate" the high discharge rate performance of the cells. However, I think that I was trying to accomplish too much with this first set of experiments. Let's first answer the question at hand, and then we can work out the details in a separate thread if necessary.

So, I will follow your suggested procedure given above. All of this assumes that the the four cells that are presently on my C9000 have similar 10A discharge performance on Friday morning when I test them.

Proposed Stage 2

• Cell 3 & 4: charge at 0.1C 16 hours followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge

• Cell 1 & 2: charge at 2C followed by 1 hour rest and 10 A discharge

If you don't get correlation with the same result curve in each pair subjected to the respective low & high charge rate conditions, then we know something else is going on with either the cells or your methodology.

I am not sure that I agree with this. If we determine in Phase I that there is an effect of charge rate, we won't know if this effect is permanent or temporary. Perhaps only one high rate charge is necessary to permanently "activate" the cell for high rate discharge. Perhaps not.

Too many questions and unknowns for us to design Stage 2. Let's agree to wait on the Stage 2 until we review the results from Stage 1.

PS) I only asked what your PS/Charge/Discharge tester was since I had no idea what, or if you were using a quality setup. It was not to cast negative aspersions on your Maaco once you identified what you are using. I was not initially rulling out any possible variable to explain the OP result. I doubt any other users on this forum would invest the amount that unit costs for our "hobby," having seen a used one was selling for $12K !!! Rather I did not want to assume you must be using credible equipment without asking the question. Now we know. Having said that, if you don't get consistent results within a pair, everything must be looked at, including that any piece of electronics can develop a heretofore unseen problem.

Dude, no worries. I understand that you would want to know what equipment I am using. I am fortunate to have access to some equipment that most CPF members don't, and the ones that do probably work for battery companies and are not free to do the kind of testing that I am. I am in a rather unique position to have access to very nice testing equipment, and freedom to use it as I choose, as long as I don't have someone paying for access to the test channels.

So, I guess we just changed the experimental procedure yet again.

For those of you attempting to follow this extremely confusing thread, let me attempt to summarize where I think we are at.

We are trying to determine if there is an effect of charge rate on the high rate discharge performance of Elite 1700 AA cells.

At present, I have four new, unused, Elite 1700 AA cells on the Break-In mode on my MH-C9000 charger.

When this break-in cycle is complete, I will discharge all four cells at 10 A. The discharge curves will be posted in this thread. Assuming that they appear relatively similar, we will move on to Stage 1 (using LL's terminology) of the experiment.

In Stage 1, Cells 1 and 2 will be charged at 0.1C for 16 hours followed by a 1 hour rest and a 10 A discharge. Cells 3 and 4 will be charged at 2C followed by a 1 hour rest and a 10 A discharge.

All of the discharge curves from the tests described above will be posted in this thread. At that point we will all agree upon "Stage 2".

Agreed?

Cheers,
BG

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I tried to read through the above posts carefully, but unless I missed it one important piece of information seems to be missing. How many cycles should be performed with each charging protocol before a conclusion is drawn?

The reason for asking is that the effect of low rate charging on discharge voltage may be cumulative. It may take several 0.1C charges before a voltage depression effect on a healthy cell is observed.

These very words in fact are puzzling, since normally a 0.1C conditioning cycle is a remedy for a cell with voltage depression. The concept of 0.1C charging causing a lower voltage on discharge is at odds with normal expectation. Therefore I am wondering if it is a case of "too much of a good thing"? Perhaps repeated charging at 0.1C over time leads to a drop in performance?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
These very words in fact are puzzling, since normally a 0.1C conditioning cycle is a remedy for a cell with voltage depression.

The purpose of the 0.1C charge rate, as far as I know, is to aid in the redistribution of the electrolyte throughout the cell. It is the 0.2C discharge used during a standard conditioning cycle, that breaks up any large crystal formation and combats voltage depression. That's how I understand it anyway.

I think the ideas presented are forming a good plan. No matter how you do it, there are going to be, and could have been other options. The only real problem I can foresee, is what happens if one of these new cells turns out to be a dud in the early stages? Other than that, as long as the initial break in goes smoothly and everything is done consistently, we should see some good results.

As for the complexity of the test, and keeping track of all that's being considered, personally after reading through the various posts, I'm considering selling all of my lights, and going back to candles. :) Seriously, I think a good plan is shaping up. :thumbsup:

Dave

Battery Guy

Enlightened
OK, I tried to read through the above posts carefully, but unless I missed it one important piece of information seems to be missing. How many cycles should be performed with each charging protocol before a conclusion is drawn?

I don't think that a decision has been made with regards to the number of cycles. I think that we are going to look at the results from Stage 1, and then decide where to go from there.

Cheers,
BG

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Well, it's Friday. I have the test results that I promised, although I am not happy with them.

Recall that we decided that I would take 4 new Elite 1700 cells, and run them through a break-in cycle on my C9000. I would then discharge all four of them at 10 A. That is exactly what I did. The discharge capacity reported by the C9000 for these four cells were as follows:

Cell 1: 1.687 Ah
Cell 2: 1.702 Ah
Cell 3: 1.650 Ah
Cell 4: 1.750 Ah

After I pulled the cells out of the C9000, nickel tabs were spot welded to the cells to reduce any issues with contact resistance.

And here are the 10 A discharge curves collected after the break-in was complete:

Elite_10A_break-in.jpg

So you can see that the 10 A performance is far below what we have come to expect with the Elite 1700 cells, which typically have a nice plateau around 1.2V (see the blue plot in the first post of this thread). But the purpose of doing these first measurements was to verify that the cells were all nominally similar in performance.

I then took cells 3 and 4, charged them at 2C, let them rest 1 hour, and discharged them at 10 A. Afterwards, I let them rest for 1 hour and repeated this.

The results for Cell 3 are below. All three curves are 10 A discharge. The black discharge curve is the baseline discharge following the break-in. The blue is the first 2C charge and the red is the second 2C charge.

Cell 3:

Elite_cell3_10A-3.jpg

And similarly for Cell 4:

Elite_cell4_10A-3.jpg

While there seemed to be some improvement after the first 2C charge, the improvement after the second 2C charge was much smaller.

I programmed my Maccor to continue cycling these cells with a 2C charge and 10 A discharge (1 hour rest between both charge and discharge steps) over the weekend. As of yet, I have done nothing with Cells 1 and 2.

I am at a loss to understand why these Elite 1700 cells are not performing up to snuff. The data that I collected on a different Elite cell that was purchased back in June and shown in this recent thread shows much better 10 A discharge performance. However, this data was collected consecutively in 0.5 A discharge intervals, so that particular Elite 1700 cell had 19 charge cycles at 2 A before the 10 A discharge curve was measured.

So it might simply be that Cells 3 and 4 need more cycles. By Monday afternoon they will have 24 charge/discharge cycles at 2C charge and 10 A discharge. If the performance has not improved significantly, I will take Cells 1 and 2 and rerun the exact same test procedure used to collect the data in this thread.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a bad batch of Elite 1700s. I know that these were on backorder at CBP up until last week when I placed the order. Perhaps this latest batch is not up to snuff? Or do you think that these Elites need a lot of cycles to get the high rate performance up?

In the mean time, I am going to be scratching my head over this all weekend.:thinking:

Cheers,
BG

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That is indeed curious. Could you show closeups of your battery tab welds and strip? I want to see what width & # of spot welds you used, and do you know the mil thickness? (I'm looking for a source of increased resistance, and there is a limit to the effective current transmission of welded strips), and why you see wider, thicker tabs used in toolpacks like those using 26700 A123 & Emoli cells.

Did you use the same spot weld technique with the earlier Elite cell results?

If this result continues, then indeed it points either to the QA of this batch of cells. or break-in being much more important. Or I'm wondering if the C9000 is not doing what you think it is doing?

Just for the heck of it, grab one of your previously high performing cells and charge it at 2C and discharge again at 10A.

I'm gonna grab some of my year old Elite 1700's and see what I find charging with my Hyperion 1210i, and discharging with CBA-II Pro, and maybe also with my Competition Electronics Turbo35 GFX.

I like a good mystery.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
BG, it's my guess that the cells just aren't broken in. It's a pretty well known fact that non LSD NiMH cells, need to be "woken up" before they can obtain their maximum capacity and performance after being stored for any length of time. This doesn't seem to apply as much with LSD NiMH's.

Anyway, if the cells you received were "mixed" as far as how long they were in storage before you received them, I think this may account for what you're seeing. I don't think you can really compare cells right "out of the box" without running 5 cycles or so first. I'm not going to suggest what parameters should be used for those 5 cycles, but I think any cells you use in your testing should all be broken in first.

Dave

Battery Guy

Enlightened
That is indeed curious. Could you show closeups of your battery tab welds and strip? I want to see what width & # of spot welds you used, and do you know the mil thickness? (I'm looking for a source of increased resistance, and there is a limit to the effective current transmission of welded strips), and why you see wider, thicker tabs used in toolpacks like those using 26700 A123 & Emoli cells.

Did you use the same spot weld technique with the earlier Elite cell results?

Sure, I will post pics on Monday. And yes, exact same technique, exact same nickel strips and exact same spot welder on the same settings.

But I think that there is more to it than that. These cells show a distinct voltage depression, followed by a slight rise in voltage as the cells heat up. If you look at the older Elite cell data, the discharge curve is distinctly different. Bad spot welds would not cause this.

Also, I spot weld tabs to a lot of cells for testing purposes. Once in a while I do a bad weld, but I would think it to be unlikely that I would do bad welds on four cells consecutively. And if I did, I would not expect all of the welds to be equally bad, causing the same performance depression in all four cells.

However, just to make certain, I will use a Hioki impedance meter to measure the impedance of Cells 1-4 though the nickel strips. I will then remove the strips, and measure the impedance directly on the cell terminals. I won't be able to do that until Monday though.

If this result continues, then indeed it points either to the QA of this batch of cells. or break-in being much more important. Or I'm wondering if the C9000 is not doing what you think it is doing?

Just for the heck of it, grab one of your previously high performing cells and charge it at 2C and discharge again at 10A.

I was thinking the same thing. I will retest one of the older Elite 1700 cells on Monday.

I'm gonna grab some of my year old Elite 1700's and see what I find charging with my Hyperion 1210i, and discharging with CBA-II Pro, and maybe also with my Competition Electronics Turbo35 GFX.

I like a good mystery.

Thanks Lux!

Cheers,
BG