small Pila charger problem

swinokur

Newly Enlightened
First time poster, long time lurker

Just received my Pila charger but I cannot get one of the extenders unscrewed. seems like the plastic is spinning around the metal post

I used a pen knife to put gentle pressure against the extender while trying to unscrew it

No luck, so unless I can get this thing out I have a 1 bay charger. I hate to have to send it back for that,

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks for any help.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
My suggestion is to first contact your dealer explaining the situation and see if they will send you a replacement extender. If not I would ask for an RMA. If they will send you a replacement here is how I would remove the broken one. Purchase a quality two part epoxy of your choice. We're going to bond the metal post/screw to the plastic knob. Turn the Pila charger on it's end, positive contacts on the bottom. It's very table sturdy this way and the epoxy should stay where you want it. Mix your epoxy and then use a tooth pick to apply it to the top side of the metal post and overlap it onto the knob. I wouldn't get too carried away with over applying or the epoxy may run where you don't need it. Let the first coat dry and then mix another batch of epoxy and apply another coat. When the second coat has cured remove the extender and throw it in the trash. Wait for your replacement extender to arrive and enjoy.

Edit: Excuse my bad manners. I failed to welcome you to CPF when I responded earlier. Anyway, a late hardy welcome to you!

Last edited:

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
I have a Pila that showed similar symptoms - here's what the problem was in my case...

Each spacer has a small diameter threaded stud, which screws into a thin (couple of threads worth) metal plate. The stud is not threaded for its entire length, and the unthreaded portion is of lesser diameter and is located next to the body of the spacer.

If you have a spacer where the unthreaded portion of the stud is far enough forward of the body of the spacer, and you tighten the spacer too much (intending to get solid electrical contact) the threaded portion of the stud will go right through the plate.

Then you're faced with the interesting challenge of applying enough force to get the thread to engage from the wrong side while backing the spacer out. Of course, this is compounded by the limited access to the body of the spacer when installed, and the grip-unfriendly plastic of the spacer's body.

It took a good deal of moaning and fussing, but I was eventually able to get the threads to engage and get the spacer out. I considered disassembling the charger to make it easier, but that wasn't possible without removing the spacer. The approach I used was similar to what you tried with a penknife, but it had to go beyond the gentle stage.

I haven't seen any other report of this problem, so maybe it's relatively rare, nevertheless I think this is the biggest weakness of the Pila design. The spacers' ability to thread into place is a good idea, but it's not really well implemented. Even if you don't have this problem, the spacers are still too fussy to install and remove.

I ended up making my own spacers from machine nuts & bolts - there are more elegant ways to do it, or you can buy ready-made spacers for this purpose, but what I've done is solid, it works, and I was able to do it the same evening.

- Syncytial.

P.S. - This thread may get moved to the Flashlight Electronics forum, as that's where discussion of chargers normally takes place.

Hellbore

Enlightened
If you do manage to get the spacer nut thing off... I recommend never using them again! Not worth it! This is a great charger but those spacers are dumb.

May I suggest these, I ordered a pair to use when charging RCR123A cells and they have worked great for me, and are cheap:
http://www.batteryspace.com/cr123asizedummycell-0voltage0resistivityforflashlightspacer0wh.aspx

Good luck! Dummy batteries IMO are going to make you far happier than those dumb screw spacers that come with the charger :D

Hellbore

Enlightened
Oops... Sorry but I spoke too soon. The spacers that come with the Pila are useful for something: For charging 14500 cells! You'll want them for that :)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Try a pencil eraser or other grippy rubber on the metal end of the spacer.

Or super glue something to the metal end of the spacer to unscrew it .

Then wait for replacement spacers.

~

swinokur

Newly Enlightened
I spoke to Flaslightz where I purchased it. They said it is a common problem and they are sending a replacement charger ASAP. No charge to me. They even provided a return shipping label.

This seems to be the only downside to this charger.

I'll us the extenders as a last resort. Thanks guys. I have learned so much just by lurking.

swinokur

Newly Enlightened
If you do manage to get the spacer nut thing off... I recommend never using them again! Not worth it! This is a great charger but those spacers are dumb.

May I suggest these, I ordered a pair to use when charging RCR123A cells and they have worked great for me, and are cheap:
http://www.batteryspace.com/cr123asizedummycell-0voltage0resistivityforflashlightspacer0wh.aspx

Good luck! Dummy batteries IMO are going to make you far happier than those dumb screw spacers that come with the charger :D

Done thanks

J-FRAME

Newly Enlightened
I like the charger but the spacers suck.One of mine acted up also.I took a Dremel cutoff wheel and removed it permanent and use metal spacers.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Excellent, I'm glad it worked out for you.
I spoke to Flaslightz where I purchased it. They said it is a common problem and they are sending a replacement charger ASAP. No charge to me. They even provided a return shipping label.

This seems to be the only downside to this charger.

I'll us the extenders as a last resort. Thanks guys. I have learned so much just by lurking.

brh

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say 'welcome,' greetings from Silver Spring - and glad you're getting your issue resolved. I hadn't heard about this problem, will have to keep it in mind if I ever pick up one of these chargers…

swinokur

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say 'welcome,' greetings from Silver Spring - and glad you're getting your issue resolved. I hadn't heard about this problem, will have to keep it in mind if I ever pick up one of these chargers…

Thank you. It was frustrating. The tech I talked to said it is fairly common They need to fix this

At least they stand behind the product.