• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

DB or BB for 2x123, vf=3.2-3.7, 0-4Watt?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be parallell with badboy or serial with high current DB, ofcourse, and a 3w emitter. Apart from mechanical aspects of parallelling in a single tube, would there be significant advantages to either?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I read this correctly, you are trying to drive a 1W with a Vf of 3.2V-3.7V.

If this is correct the BB is not an option since you want to use 2X123 which is 6V.

6V and a 1W is not a boost configuration. Boost requires the input (battery) voltage to be less than the output (Vf) Voltage. Vin < Vout.

A DB or a stepdown converter of some form is acceptable.

Entropy

Enlightened
I think what he was asking was:

2x123 in parallel with a BadBoy, or
2x123 in series with a DownBoy, which would you reccommend?

I guess it depends on which of the two is more efficient - BB700 with 3v input or DB700 with 6v input.

If the efficiency is the same, a DB700 is probably the best choice since it's much easier to hook 2 123s up in series in most flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have successfully paralleled two DB's in a tube and they worked as expected. I don't know how the new version of DB's which will be hopefully out in a few weeks will "parallel" but having components on only one side would require less volume in the tube.

Are you sure that you will need more than one DB?

- Don

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Entropy: Right on. Except:

"Are you sure that you will need more than one DB?"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif "need"? If the DB is max 700mA, YES!!!! it's a bloody 3w emitter, by the beard of Shaitan!! Do you think I want to just tickle it?

Summing up my loosely estimated wishes:
2x123 in series, 2xDB~700 in parallell, or
2x123 in parallell, 2xBB~700 in parallell.
Why not two parallell MadMax+?

Of course I might change the current requirements a bit, according to temperatures.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think dat2zip said he was thinking about selling the bits needed to make downboys to your own spec. There was definately talk of releasing high current boards (up to 1.5A if im not mistaken)

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds feasible, from what I understood amps out are limited by amps in with the LT1618, 1,5amps in is the limit as far as I remember.