Quark Moonlight Runtime Test

Darvis

Enlightened
*** Test Completed 9/9/2010; Results Below ***

Alright, I said I'd do this, so here it is... I'm going to watch the grass grow over the next few days and see what time will tell us.

Here's my test... At Noon today, I fired up 3 single AA Quarks and an Eiger #1 all running on AA batteries. (The Eiger via the VC AA Arc adapter)

2 of the Quarks (one XP-E and one XP-G) and the Eiger are running on freshly cycled (via the lacrosse discharge/refresh selection) Eneloops.

One of the Quarks (an XP-E) is running on a brand new Duracell Alkaline AA

I am having a heck of a time with uploading photos, so I'm going to run this test verbally for all of you as I'm simply running until lights off.

I'm not expecting much of a difference between the two crees overall, so I also feel the Alkaline running with the XP-E will be fairly indicative of the XP-G runtime when all is said and done.

I'll check the lights @ roughly 12 hour intervals and make updates here every 12-24 hours as I expect this to be a long one!!! (at least I hope so) I'll also update if anything changes... for instance, as the Eiger dims over time and gets to the output level of the Quarks.

Hope you enjoy this one folks, the latest of the lowest of the lows series of time killers!!!

Regards,
Darvis

Update 9/9/2010: For those of you intereted in the lithium primary version of this test, a new post has been started here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3519028#post3519028

Also, forgot to note that all three Eneloops came off the charger @ 1.46v and were between 1979 and 2000 mah as indicated by the lacrosse after the refresh

As for the three Quarks: One XP-E is a tactical, one is a standard. The XP-G is a tactical model. I Don't forsee this skewing anything, but if anyone knows differently, let me know

I honestly don't remeber which XP-E got the alkaline, but I'll note that at the end of the test. (It was the regular UI version)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Results
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Peak Eiger XP-G #1 (Eneloop AA, VC AA adapter)

25.5 hours to 50%
30.75 hours to less than Quark moon mode (The Eiger "moon" mode lasted 3.5 hours)
47 hours to tritium brightness and .97v

Conclusion: A very nice steady, predictable and utterly usable decline over the course of 47 hours. This light will not just turn off on you and the VC AA adapter is extremely well made and makes for a great camping/survival rig. (I still prefer the AAA format for EDC given its compactness)

Quark XP-G Tactical (Eneloop AA)

266 hours to off and .91v

Quark XP-E Tactical (Eneloop AA)

270 hours to off and .90v

Quark XP-E Regular (Duracell Alkaline AA)

470 hours to off and .77v

Conclusion: Holy Guacamole! 19.6 days continuous on an alkaline!

The lonely brothers Quark:

263twqp.jpg

I also wanted to note (based on the recent banner warning against shilling) that I am running these tests for my own knowledge and to share with others in this forum. These were lights purchased with my own money for my personal use and I am in no way endorsing ANY brand of light, battery, accessory or dealer. Any of my opinions in this thread are my own, and you, as a reader, are free to form your own conclusions about the data presented here.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
No Quarks came with the XR-E. Perhaps you meant XP-E?

Good luck, I look forward to seeing the results.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad someone is doing this test. I can't wait!

Darvis

Enlightened
No Quarks came with the XR-E. Perhaps you meant XP-E?

Good luck, I look forward to seeing the results.

Copperfox, thanks for the catch! I do that all the time for some reason... I've corrected my opening post

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darvis, thanks for doing this test!

Here's my test... At Noon today, I fired up 3 single AA Quarks and an Eiger #1 all running on AA batteries. (The Eiger via the VC AA Arc adapter)

Wow, I had no idea the Valiant adapter worked on Eigers. Good info. to know for sure.

Darvis

Enlightened
Wow, I had no idea the Valiant adapter worked on Eigers. Good info. to know for sure.

Sure does! I have all stainless heads and it makes for one extremely smooth turning twisty. Looks like a .308 round at first glance due to the shape, but works all the same. The adapter itself is of very high quality as well.

It's an olive green shade of ano (in case you were wondering) and it's coated on the inside. The talicap is nicely done, uses a full spring, and from what I've read here in the forums, that spring can be flipped (somehow) and used with your choice of resistor to control output and runtime even more. Not exactly sure how this works, but I aim to find out. MWClint talks about it here in post #14: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/287386

A tad bit pricey, but hey, it doubles your AAA fun in more ways than one!

Last edited:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad someone else out there is doing a "moonlight" runtime test besides me:laughing:. Since Sunday I have been running my Ra at its lowest setting. Can't wait to see the results of your test.

Also, if you have the tactical version maybe we can see a test run of the ''eclipse'' mode.:cool:

Nick

Zendude

Enlightened
Hey folks,

When Darvis said he was going to do this I went ahead and started a couple lights on low mode.

The contenders:

Nitecore D10 GDP (Duraloop)
Ti Quark MiNi AA (alkie)
NW Quark MiNi AA (Duraloop)

As of 30hrs the Ti Quark and D10 are doing fine.

The NW Quark on the other hand died somewhere between 24-28hrs. Voltage was .89V. I didn't expect it to die so soon or I would have been monitoring a little more closely. I'm going to redo the test with a different battery in case it was a dud.

I was going to include my ZL h50b and h501 but I didn't have enough charged cells. I charged some last night so maybe I'll start them when I get home.

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you have the tactical version maybe we can see a test run of the ''eclipse'' mode.:cool:
I just did a search for eclipse mode... I've never heard of it before, but apparently quarks use it... :thinking: is it some super secret .001 lumen mode I've never heard of?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you measure the current off the battery when you start you can get in the ballpark of what the runtime will be for a regulated light on Nimh. Not so much for Alkies and unregulated lights.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
The NW Quark on the other hand died somewhere between 24-28hrs. Voltage was .89V. I didn't expect it to die so soon or I would have been monitoring a little more closely. I'm going to redo the test with a different battery in case it was a dud.
Zendude, your result is consistent with what some of us did a while back in this thread >> Quark Mini AA WW Lo-mode Runtime... ;)

Xak

Enlightened
I just did a search for eclipse mode... I've never heard of it before, but apparently quarks use it... :thinking: is it some super secret .001 lumen mode I've never heard of?

Are you kidding? Any links to more info on this?

IIRC the Quarks have no parasitic drain when off, right?

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/246126

There is another thread at the marketplace on this subject as well. Also, some Fenix lights exhibit the same mode. The brightness is comparable to a Titan t1a on low.:)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you kidding? Any links to more info on this?

IIRC the Quarks have no parasitic drain when off, right?

One dimmer (but higher-drawing! :() mode is to have the quark on the edge of changing from loose back to tight and slightly press the head inwards. Done correctly, a much dimmer-than-moonlight lasts until you click the Quark off or turn the head (or wiggle the head, if your O-ring isn't stable). Not sure if that's cool enough to be Cullen-worthy.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears it is a hardware glitch, and consumes more power than moon or low modes. I would not recommend it. Also, I now have to look up this programming mode, I thought I saw it mentioned a long time ago, something about 200 quick power cycles? I saw it mentioned in the marketplace thread.

Darvis

Enlightened
Well folks, I'm 10.5 hours in at this point and not a darn thing to report, all lights exactly the same as when I turned them on. Next report in the morning at some point.

These recent low mode run tests have completely converted me to the lower, darker side of flashaholism... I remain amazed at what these AAA and AA lights can do.

Take this scenario: You have your Peak Eiger #0 or #1 mated to a VC AA adapter and are camping. You can literally turn the sucker on and not even bother to turn it off for the entire night, confident that it will run for the whole entire NEXT NIGHT!!!!

If you're using an Eneloop and carry a powerfilm solar charger (as I do) just top the sucker off each day courtesy of the sun... One battery, one light, as long as you need it. Heck, say you just use the AAA setup... it'll still run all night.

The best part is that the whole package is so incredibly small and makes EDC so easy. I now have a tiny light in my pocket and a spare battery on my keychain for about 40 hours of light potential.

I love my big lights, but man, these little guys are my new favorites by far.

Anyway, catch you all in the morning. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.