Olight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire M4

Default Surefire M4

I received my new M4 today and I couldn't wait to try it out after dark. I tried out both the HO-M4A and MN61 bulbs as I don't have rechargeables for it yet. The MN61 gave a wider hotspot with less throw while the HO-M4A puts more light into the hotspot. I ended up using the HO-M4A more as it was quite satisfying to shine it across the fields and down along the hydro towers.

I made the mistake of lighting up my hand with the MN61 and had a negative image of my five fingers burned in my retina for a few minutes.

A very satisfying light and I'm thinking I should have skipped a couple of 2-cell Surefires and bought the M4 awhile ago. I'll eventually get it bored for 18650's but for now I'll get a couple of 17670's for it and run a HO-M3T.

Default Re: Surefire M4

Congrats on the purchase. Most people say skip the M4 and go straight to the M6 but myself, I don't agree with that totally. I think the M4 fills a very nice spot in between the M3 and M6. I am still considering builiding an M4 from a 9P because I already have the KT2 turbohead but I haven't decided yet. In any regard, enjoy the new light.

PS, Isn't " THE M4 DEVASTATOR" like the absolute coolest and bada$$ name for a flashlight ever? I get chills down my spine just saying it
    My Lights Here

Flashaholic*

Congrats on the purchase. Had a chance to score the latest batch of M4 (with the nice darker gray HA). Will say the MN61 fits the M4 like a glove (really nice beam pattern). Tried the HO-M4 but I feel its more at home in the 12Z/SRTH
    Yes I have SAS... Surefire Acquisition Syndrome.
    The HA doesn't bother me but the darn blue tint does!

Quote Originally Posted by ebow86 View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. Most people say skip the M4 and go straight to the M6 but myself, I don't agree with that totally. I think the M4 fills a very nice spot in between the M3 and M6. I am still considering builiding an M4 from a 9P because I already have the KT2 turbohead but I haven't decided yet. In any regard, enjoy the new light.

PS, Isn't " THE M4 DEVASTATOR" like the absolute coolest and bada$$ name for a flashlight ever? I get chills down my spine just saying it
    Devastator is definitely a cool name! I've always preferred the looks of the M4. I had a chance when I was on holidays to handle the M3, M4, M6 and I liked the longer thinner body of the M4. The M3 & M6 are still on my want list too though

The M4 handles the best IMO and looks the sexiest. Please post some pics if you can because I sure miss her. Gotta watch out for that beam reflecting back at you! I did that on wet grass and man was I blinded.

Congrats on the purchase. Most people say skip the M4 and go straight to the M6 . . .
    I say buy both! . . . And I did.

BTW, did I mention my M4 is a Leef-bodied M4.

Okay, I'll quit bragging now.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I say buy both! . . . And I did.

BTW, did I mention my M4 is a Leef-bodied M4.

Okay, I'll quit bragging now.
    What he really needs is an M6 with a AW Bi Pin holder, 3 x17670 holder and some WA 1185 and he'll be annoying/scaring the neighbors for some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2515 View Post
    What he really needs is an M6 with a AW Bi Pin holder, 3 x17670 holder and some WA 1185 and he'll be annoying/scaring the neighbors for some time to come.
    My favorite rechargeable set-up for my M6 is the 3x17670 battery-carrier made by our own mdocod, with a Lumens Factory HO-M6R lamp installed.

It's pretty sweet!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

My favorite rechargeable set-up for my M6 is the 3x17670 battery-carrier made by our own mdocod, with a Lumens Factory HO-M6R lamp installed.

It's pretty sweet!
    I haven't decided what to do with my M6 bodies. One is missing a head (bought it that way), 2 empty hosts (came complete with the bulbs and holders) and 1 with the 1185 and the 17670 holder. Decisions are so hard to make!

Evilgrin07 Re: Surefire M4

It's pretty sweet!
    You gotta try wquiles new REGULATED pack!!!!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    You gotta try wquiles new REGULATED pack!!!!

Flashaholic*

... Tried the HO-M4 but I feel its more at home in the 12Z/SRTH
    You got that right! That is what I use in my 12ZM!

Yay! The M4 is an often overlooked great light, and an excellent thrower.

I'd have to agree the MN61 has a far nicer beam than the MN60. For high output, I've been using 2x IMR18650s with the IMR-M3T or WA1111 (with bi-pin adapter). (IMR)17650s should work as well for the unbored lights, but not have quite the runtime. Using 2 rechargeable rather than 4 primaries is defenately the way to go with this light.

Enjoy!

Many people have issues with the M6 not being able to be comfortably EDC'd, also the proprietary battery holder does limit the ease of using rechargeables without using third party holders.

However, since the M6 is two stacks of three cells in series, it does offer more potential than single stacks for longer runtimes.

I skipped over an M4 but tried the M3T and the M6. I should have bought an M4 but too late for that. I might consider 2x17500 + HO-M3T setup
    Last edited by Illum; 08-21-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nanomu View Post
    Yay! The M4 is an often overlooked great light, and an excellent thrower.

I'd have to agree the MN61 has a far nicer beam than the MN60. For high output, I've been using 2x IMR18650s with the IMR-M3T or WA1111 (with bi-pin adapter). (IMR)17650s should work as well for the unbored lights, but not have quite the runtime. Using 2 rechargeable rather than 4 primaries is defenately the way to go with this light.

Enjoy!
    Yep! My M4 LOLA out throws my M6 LOLA, due to the tighter hot-spot. And, IIRC, my MN60 had a tight circle beam, while my MN61 was more oblong. Not to crazy myself ovr the "oblong" SF beams. But, my M4 is more pleasing to use than my M6. Trying to get a decent LED head/tower for my M6 so I use it more, and dedicate my M4 to a "bump in the night/search light"

Glad to see you like the M4 computernut. I like my M4 just as much as my M6.

Maybe you should sell me one of your A2's now that you won't be using it that much
    LED's impress but Incans satisfy

I'm pretty sure an M3 and an M6 is in my future at some point. The Phd-M6 pack looks amazing!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by computernut View Post
    I'm pretty sure an M3 and an M6 is in my future at some point. The Phd-M6 pack looks amazing!
    Congrats on the M4! I would get the M3 next. It is quite arguably SF's best looking light IMHO. If you get the M6 get a MN15 for it.

kelmo

The new family member:

Congrats on your purchase. I also like so much the SF M4!

oh yeah... thats what i run on my m6 and now my neighbor REALLY does not like me.
    not sure how i want to set up my m4 yet. i would love for it to keep up with the m6. how about some ideas?

Flashaholic*

No Surefire incan collector/user (or crazed CPFer) is complete without a M3, M4 and a M6!

The new family member:

*tenderly strokes the computer screen* I miss youuuuu. Now you need to edit your signature!

Quote Originally Posted by ninemm View Post
    *tenderly strokes the computer screen* I miss youuuuu.
    I'll take good care of her!

I just ordered an HO-M3T and a couple of AW17670's. I've been really enjoying the HO-M4A so I'm hoping the drop in lumens (550 to 380) isn't a big difference. The EO-M3T was out of stock but I'll probably pick one up eventually.

My M4 is actually on the way right now, ok, actually not an M4 but a 9P with A19 extender to go with my KT2 turbohead. I am very excited to see the increase in beam quality and output with the MN60 compaired to the MN15 I've been using with a G3, double the lumens, 125 vs 225 plus I hear the beam on the MN60 is very good.
    My Lights Here

Flashaholic*

...9P with A19 extender to go with my KT2 turbohead...
    I've run that setup and it is quite pleasing!

Quote Originally Posted by kelmo View Post
    I've run that setup and it is quite pleasing!

Ever had a chance to compair it to a real M4? I've heard that the 9P setup has slightly less brillance due to resistance of the A19 but I've also heard the KT4 looses about 20% more light OTF compaired to the KT2, so I'm curious how they would compair to each other.
    My Lights Here

I just ordered an HO-M3T and a couple of AW17670's. I've been really enjoying the HO-M4A so I'm hoping the drop in lumens (550 to 380) isn't a big difference. The EO-M3T was out of stock but I'll probably pick one up eventually.
    Don't worry about not being able to snag some EO-M3Ts. The HO-M3T is actually a better match for the 17670s anyways and the overall output would not be noticeable unless the EO was driven with bigger cells. If you like tight throw, the HO-M3T is in many ways better than the EO-M3T anyways.

Congrats on your new flashlight!

Eric

I was out walking the dog tonight and decided to take just the stock MN60 bulb. It was pretty nice to walk around with. Not too bright, and the hotspot seemed pretty wide. Bonus is that it lasts 3x longer than the MN61 Tomorrow night I'll have to give the MN61 a good trial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast