Surefire M4

computernut

Enlightened
I received my new M4 today and I couldn't wait to try it out after dark. I tried out both the HO-M4A and MN61 bulbs as I don't have rechargeables for it yet. The MN61 gave a wider hotspot with less throw while the HO-M4A puts more light into the hotspot. I ended up using the HO-M4A more as it was quite satisfying to shine it across the fields and down along the hydro towers.

I made the mistake of lighting up my hand with the MN61 and had a negative image of my five fingers burned in my retina for a few minutes.

A very satisfying light and I'm thinking I should have skipped a couple of 2-cell Surefires and bought the M4 awhile ago. I'll eventually get it bored for 18650's but for now I'll get a couple of 17670's for it and run a HO-M3T.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the purchase. Most people say skip the M4 and go straight to the M6 but myself, I don't agree with that totally. I think the M4 fills a very nice spot in between the M3 and M6. I am still considering builiding an M4 from a 9P because I already have the KT2 turbohead but I haven't decided yet. In any regard, enjoy the new light.

PS, Isn't " THE M4 DEVASTATOR" like the absolute coolest and bada$$ name for a flashlight ever? I get chills down my spine just saying it:D

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the purchase. Had a chance to score the latest batch of M4 (with the nice darker gray HA). Will say the MN61 fits the M4 like a glove (really nice beam pattern). Tried the HO-M4 but I feel its more at home in the 12Z/SRTH

computernut

Enlightened
Congrats on the purchase. Most people say skip the M4 and go straight to the M6 but myself, I don't agree with that totally. I think the M4 fills a very nice spot in between the M3 and M6. I am still considering builiding an M4 from a 9P because I already have the KT2 turbohead but I haven't decided yet. In any regard, enjoy the new light.

PS, Isn't " THE M4 DEVASTATOR" like the absolute coolest and bada$$ name for a flashlight ever? I get chills down my spine just saying it:D

Devastator is definitely a cool name! I've always preferred the looks of the M4. I had a chance when I was on holidays to handle the M3, M4, M6 and I liked the longer thinner body of the M4. The M3 & M6 are still on my want list too though :devil:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 handles the best IMO and looks the sexiest. ;) Please post some pics if you can because I sure miss her. Gotta watch out for that beam reflecting back at you! I did that on wet grass and man was I blinded. :confused:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Congrats on the purchase. Most people say skip the M4 and go straight to the M6 . . .

I say buy both! . . . And I did.

BTW, did I mention my M4 is a Leef-bodied M4. :grin2:

Okay, I'll quit bragging now. :D

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say buy both! . . . And I did.

BTW, did I mention my M4 is a Leef-bodied M4. :grin2:

Okay, I'll quit bragging now. :D

What he really needs is an M6 with a AW Bi Pin holder, 3 x17670 holder and some WA 1185 and he'll be annoying/scaring the neighbors for some time to come.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What he really needs is an M6 with a AW Bi Pin holder, 3 x17670 holder and some WA 1185 and he'll be annoying/scaring the neighbors for some time to come.

My favorite rechargeable set-up for my M6 is the 3x17670 battery-carrier made by our own mdocod, with a Lumens Factory HO-M6R lamp installed.

It's pretty sweet! :rock:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite rechargeable set-up for my M6 is the 3x17670 battery-carrier made by our own mdocod, with a Lumens Factory HO-M6R lamp installed.

It's pretty sweet! :rock:
I haven't decided what to do with my M6 bodies. One is missing a head (bought it that way), 2 empty hosts (came complete with the bulbs and holders) and 1 with the 1185 and the 17670 holder. Decisions are so hard to make!

nanomu

Newly Enlightened
Yay! The M4 is an often overlooked great light, and an excellent thrower.

I'd have to agree the MN61 has a far nicer beam than the MN60. For high output, I've been using 2x IMR18650s with the IMR-M3T or WA1111 (with bi-pin adapter). (IMR)17650s should work as well for the unbored lights, but not have quite the runtime. Using 2 rechargeable rather than 4 primaries is defenately the way to go with this light.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
Many people have issues with the M6 not being able to be comfortably EDC'd, also the proprietary battery holder does limit the ease of using rechargeables without using third party holders.

However, since the M6 is two stacks of three cells in series, it does offer more potential than single stacks for longer runtimes.

I skipped over an M4 but tried the M3T and the M6. I should have bought an M4 but too late for that. I might consider 2x17500 + HO-M3T setup

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay! The M4 is an often overlooked great light, and an excellent thrower.

I'd have to agree the MN61 has a far nicer beam than the MN60. For high output, I've been using 2x IMR18650s with the IMR-M3T or WA1111 (with bi-pin adapter). (IMR)17650s should work as well for the unbored lights, but not have quite the runtime. Using 2 rechargeable rather than 4 primaries is defenately the way to go with this light.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Yep! My M4 LOLA out throws my M6 LOLA, due to the tighter hot-spot. And, IIRC, my MN60 had a tight circle beam, while my MN61 was more oblong. Not to crazy myself ovr the "oblong" SF beams. But, my M4 is more pleasing to use than my M6. Trying to get a decent LED head/tower for my M6 so I use it more, and dedicate my M4 to a "bump in the night/search light"

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see you like the M4 computernut. I like my M4 just as much as my M6.

Maybe you should sell me one of your A2's now that you won't be using it that much :poke:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure an M3 and an M6 is in my future at some point. The Phd-M6 pack looks amazing!

Congrats on the M4! I would get the M3 next. It is quite arguably SF's best looking light IMHO. If you get the M6 get a MN15 for it.

kelmo

computernut

Enlightened
The new family member:

4917422221_22818aaf4f_b_d.jpg