Malkoff
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire M4

Default Re: Surefire M4

I am also a big fan of the M4.

I really like everything about it, as well as its ability to use 18650 cells once you have it bored out as I've done with mine. It remains one of my favorites and one of my main lights I use for work.

It also provides good company for my 10X, M6, Milky-M3, Milky-M1, and both Megalenniums, one with the Megalennium 3'' head/WA1185 and one with a very special Milky KT4 turbohead!
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

The M4 does not get much love, even from SF fans. I find it quite a nice platform, either with 2x Li Ion and an LF bulb or the MN60. I love the MN61, but in the M4 it does not give enough additional output IMO to warrant 1/3 the run time. With the PhD M6 it's a different story .
    Will work for lights.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by BSBG View Post
    The M4 does not get much love, even from SF fans. I find it quite a nice platform, either with 2x Li Ion and an LF bulb or the MN60. I love the MN61, but in the M4 it does not give enough additional output IMO to warrant 1/3 the run time. With the PhD M6 it's a different story .
    Well said. I too like the M4 with the MN60 instead of the 61. I could have gotten the M6 for the same price but it seemed to be marginal increase in output for 6 cells versus the M4's 4 cells. The name doesn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo@stn23 View Post
    Well said. I too like the M4 with the MN60 instead of the 61. I could have gotten the M6 for the same price but it seemed to be marginal increase in output for 6 cells versus the M4's 4 cells. The name doesn't hurt either.
    Plus 3...the oblong beams of the MN15/20, etc. really turn me off of any light that uses them ...guess I'm just getting harder to please. Love me some MN60 throw! Does it out throw the M6 on paper (has anyone taken lux readings out that far???)? I know my M4 will out-throw my M6...that's good enoug for me....

And yes, the name 's!!!!!

Can anyone guesstimate how far the 225 lumen LA[MN60?] in the M4 throws?
    Finally seeing the light - going back to incans!!!!

I think I might know why the HO-M3T isn't all that impressive, the filament seems crooked. The brightest part of the hotspot was over to one side so I took out the LA and the filament doesn't seem to be straight in relation to assembly. I'll have to call Lighthound and see what they say.

I'll bring my M4 + HO-M3T on Sunday and you can compare.
    LED's impress but Incans satisfy

Quote Originally Posted by DUQ View Post
    I'll bring my M4 + HO-M3T on Sunday and you can compare.
    Cool! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by computernut View Post
    I think I might know why the HO-M3T isn't all that impressive, the filament seems crooked. The brightest part of the hotspot was over to one side so I took out the LA and the filament doesn't seem to be straight in relation to assembly. I'll have to call Lighthound and see what they say.
    I took the HO-M3T out again last night and I'm not loving the beam, instead of an oval it's more of a jagged blotch with the hotspot on one side. If you pointed it up in the air and rotated the light you could see the bright part of the beam swirl around. I called Lighthound and they are fixing me up with a new lamp. Great service!

Quote Originally Posted by computernut View Post
    I took the HO-M3T out again last night and I'm not loving the beam, instead of an oval it's more of a jagged blotch with the hotspot on one side. If you pointed it up in the air and rotated the light you could see the bright part of the beam swirl around. I called Lighthound and they are fixing me up with a new lamp. Great service!
    Yeah, that is the only way to tell for sure. I have several LF lamps where the bulb itself is off center, but the filament and the beam are dead nuts on center.

And Lighthound rocks!
    Finally seeing the light - going back to incans!!!!

I highly recommend this...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...eply&p=3483319

Quote Originally Posted by hron61 View Post
    oh yeah... thats what i run on my m6 and now my neighbor REALLY does not like me.
    not sure how i want to set up my m4 yet. i would love for it to keep up with the m6. how about some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by zx7dave View Post

!!!!!

wow, thats alota light.
    maybe another build and or kit form coming down the pike in the near future? i'd be up for one fo sho!!!

I have been enjoyng my new MN60 lamp for the past couple weeks. It has the most wonderful beam I've seen on any surefire incandescent. So nice and round, ok, so not perfectly round but much better than any other lamp assembly I have. After using an MN15 for so long the Mn60 is just so plesant to use. The MN60 is, without a doubt, my favorite lamp assembley so far.
    My Lights Here

Quote Originally Posted by ebow86 View Post
    I have been enjoyng my new MN60 lamp for the past couple weeks. It has the most wonderful beam I've seen on any surefire incandescent. So nice and round, ok, so not perfectly round but much better than any other lamp assembly I have. After using an MN15 for so long the Mn60 is just so plesant to use. The MN60 is, without a doubt, my favorite lamp assembley so far.
    Isn't it though

Quote Originally Posted by ebow86 View Post
    The MN60 is a very nice lamp. Amazing what 225 lumens can look like. I received the MN60, MN61, and HO-M4A lamps with my m4 and at first I didn't even try the MN60 but I've come to realize it has a decent runtime coupled with a big throwy hotspot. I put the HO-M4A in to show off to friends though as it has a very bright hotspot that really throws. I haven't learned to love the MN61 yet, 20 minutes of runtime is a bit too short for my liking on 4x123's.

Flashaholic*

If it weren't for the problems with a good rechargeable setup without boring it, I would have had an M4 also

I ended up with an M3 and an M6 instead... M3 loaded with 2X 17500s and M6 preferably loaded with 2X 18650s.

When I want to use THREE times 18650s I take my 3X 18650 Megalennium...

In here, I can use the WA1185 without overloading the 17670s that I would otherwise have to use in the M6. Okay, I actually DO have two of those fine 3X 17670 holders by FM, but I limit the use of them in the M6 to lamps that don't draw excessive currents (like the WA1166, 1.97 Amps or the HO-M6R).

Timmo.

Quote Originally Posted by 325addict View Post
    If it weren't for the problems with a good rechargeable setup without boring it, I would have had an M4 also
    Must admit, I really love my Leef-bodied M4. It's so sweet.

Okay, I actually DO have two of those fine 3x17670 holders by FM, but I limit the use of them in the M6 to lamps that don't draw excessive currents (like the WA1166, 1.97 Amps or the HO-M6R).

Timmo.
    Have a 3x17670 holder by mdocod. Actually have a couple of them. Also have a HO-M6R as well. Actually, have a couple of those too.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

I actually have THREE of those HO-M6R lamps, because they are sooo well balanced. They don't draw excessive currents, but DO really perform. Especially their throw is amazing

Timmo.

Good idea! . . . Looks like I'm gonna have to order a couple more of those.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

+1 The M4 is a sweet light no matter what batteries & bulb you choose. There is *one* more way to enhance the M4 experience. Add a SW01! Even sweeter!

I would have to say i have the m4 and m6 but not the m3. Its going to take me time to save up after buying lights WOW

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but my new/old stock M4 is set to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited -- looking forward to using 2x17670 initially with M3T-compatible bulbs, and running the MN60 for a bit to enjoy it's wicked brightness on primaries.

Does anyone know who can bore an M4 body to accept 18650? Seems the two folks in the forum who offer boring services do not accept the M4 body. A good friend has a lathe in his shop, but I'm not sure what kind of tooling we'd need to bore such a long body, or if it is even possible.

Check with Barry Milton (precisionworks here in the forums).

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    I know I'm bumping an old thread, but my new/old stock M4 is set to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited -- looking forward to using 2x17670 initially with M3T-compatible bulbs, and running the MN60 for a bit to enjoy it's wicked brightness on primaries.

Does anyone know who can bore an M4 body to accept 18650? Seems the two folks in the forum who offer boring services do not accept the M4 body. A good friend has a lathe in his shop, but I'm not sure what kind of tooling we'd need to bore such a long body, or if it is even possible.
    Chris,

I am excited for you to get the M4! I currently own an M3 and it's the bees knees! Please post pictures and opinions of the light. As far as boring the light for 18mm cells, I'd recommend the same man that Will mentioned...Barry Milton of precision works. He is a perfectionist and does extremely clean work...I speak from experience

I can't seem to bring myself to have my dear M3 bored out. MAYBE if I had a backup.
    So yeah, post some pictures of your M4 so I can be "enabled" to lust after one!
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

Thanks for the recommendation of Barry @ PW -- I'll be sure to reach out when the newness has worn off and I'll be ok with not having the M4 for a few weeks.

I currently have a M3 with Malkoff MD10, a M3T with MN15, and I'm planning on confirming I'm happy with the M4 before unloading the M3T. In my opinion it just doesn't serve a purpose that the M4/M3 combo can't fulfill.

I'll be sure to take some pics this weekend and report back on the output with the MN60 & MN61 lamps. I'm planning on running rechargeables primarily, with the 12 volt lamps on standby in case I want to show off or need the extra output.

The major thing that drove me to the M4 from the M3T is the thickness of the body, the extra knurling, and the compatibility with larger capacity li-ions. I think it will be perfect as my only incan light.

Just unboxed it and I have to say that along with my E2DL, this is one of the top two quality built flashlights I think I've ever laid hands on. The knurling almost sticks to your palm, the anodizing seems nice and thick, and the orange peel on the reflector just looks flawless. It was an expensive purchase, but thankfully I was able to unload some other items I hadn't been using to raise the funds.

I'm running an MN16 on 2x17670, but at some point I'll send it to PW for 18650 boring. I have plenty of LED based lights, but after seeing the performance of the MN16 versus my two "thrower" LED lights I knew that the incan serves a purpose despite the inherent shortcomings (runtime and durability to name two).

Can't wait to get the Lumens Factory EO-M3T at some point. From what I hear it has a very concentrated hot spot that throws extremely well.

Clickable thumbnail pics:

Diggin the new light brother!
    Last edited by beach honda; 08-13-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

Besides throw and color rendition it is also nice to carry. It feels like a *flashlight.*

Nothing will work like WA1111 in bored out M4 with 2 new protected 18650 (3100mAh)

Beautiful color temperature, Acceptable run time safe and good bulb life.

Please note:

All MN G4 bi-pin sockets are gone and no more left also no plan for another run. So, enjoy it if you already have one.
    Last edited by fivemega; 08-21-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    Nothing will work like WA1111 in bored out M4 with 2 new protected 18650 (3100mAh)

Beautiful color temperature, Acceptable run time safe and good bulb life.

Please note:

All MN G4 bi-pin sockets are gone and no more left also no plan for another run. So, enjoy it if you already have one.
    Will it be brighter from Unprotected 2x18650(Pana 3100mah)?

...Sorry to hear that MN Socket.
    Last edited by cenz; 08-24-2012 at 11:10 AM.