Heat!

ktheo

Newly Enlightened
I just tried doing a run time test with my Pelican M6 lithium.

I have a thrunite XP-G 1.5 Amp drop in, 3 mode. Also, running 2 cr123's
--->test done on high

After 10 minutes the entire flashlight was warm, and some dimming occured

After 20 minutes, the light was hot, but still holdable. And the light dimmmer

After 30 minutes I heard a hissing noise... Shut it off right away and took everything apart to let it cool.

All the components were hot. I was unable to pin point was the noise was from....everything seemed intact

I have ready a few things about cr123's..but I am not sure whats official.

I am runing the battery station brand, purchased about a month ago..

Any Ideas or suggestions....

ktheo

Newly Enlightened
Also.....periodicaly, the light would flicker, just for a few seconds...then return to normal.....

Hellbore

Enlightened
If it was truly a hissing noise, I would think only some parts are likely to make a hissing noise. The first things I would suspect would be electrolytic capacitors (if it has any) and the batteries. One of those 2 things was probably venting. That's my idea.

For your sake, I hope it was the batteries and not the light electronics :)

My suggestion would be that if you do this test again, clamp the light in some kind of a large metal heatsink to help dissipate some of the heat. Perhaps a large bench vise or something could help if you can get enough contact area touching the light to transmit heat into the vise. Or maybe set it on top of a block of dry ice :D

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Although primaries are safer than Li-ions, they will still vent when they get hot enough. You may have smelt the electrolyte smell, and maybe seen some liquid at the PTC end of the cell. If the light is water tight, you could consider doing the runtime test in a glass of water, failing that, you could try a fan

ktheo

Newly Enlightened
it is waterproof...I never even thought of that....i should just toss it in the pool!