Is a 9 volt rechargeable available?

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
A bit off subject but you guys are the experts on batteries. I have a new trail cam that works off of 6 D-batteries for a total of about 9.6 volts when they're fresh. My previous cam used 4 D-batteries and I used a 6-volt 14 amp rechargeable for it with great success.

Using rechargeable D batteries offer 1.2 volts and that totals 7.8 volts when charged. Moultrie sells a solar panel that is supposedly 12 volts but they told me it actually delivers 9 volts to the pack of rechargeable D size batteries.

I have some older rechargeable D size that I tried on the older cam that only used 4 and it wouldn't operate - 4.8 rechargeable volts versus 6.4 Alkaline volts. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Well, 8 NiMH D cells will give you exactly 12v. Run them in two 4 cell series packs connected in series?!?! 3x LiIon cells in series would put you in the ball park with a peak of 12.6v.

Don't know what to say about charging in the field. If portability is not an issue, I'd go with a solar panel charger optimized for and with a lead acid gel cell...... simple and reliable and most likely the lowest cost.

Regards

Christian

Oops..... my brain thought you needed 12v, not 9v. Hmmm......... what about 3 lipo cells? They should be very close to 9v...... 7 NiMH cells is a touch higher than 9v. Come to think if it, I've dyslexic all day been.....

Sorry.....

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
6 alkaline D cells wont supply 9 volts for long on load.
The average on load voltage of an alkaline cell is often reckoned to be about 1.2 volts in higher drain applications, rising perhaps to an average of 1.3/1.35 in low drain applications.

In most applications, 1.2 volt rechargeables will be fine instead of alkalines, since the voltage though lower is well maintained.

If an external battery pack is suitable, a 4 cell lead acid battery at about 8 volts would be suitable.
3.7 volt lithium cells may be worth considering, two such will give about 7.4 volts, compared to about 7.2 from 6 alkalines.

Latest posts