Death of a light

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone i have a sad story to tell. Last week at work I dropped my prise Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel limited edition and it now wont turn on when i twist it and i cant get it to work:( I was concidering a Nitecore D10 Sp but i am not sure wheather it has any output regulation? I was wondering what other alternatives there are and if anyone has any recomendations? I need something small with a bright high setting and decent throw and im not too bothered about what type of batteries it takes.

I currently have Fenix Tk11, T1, LD20. Maglite Soliter, AAA mini Maglite, AA mini maglite, AA mini maglite with an led convesion. Led lenser Police Tech focus origonal. Led lenser button cell. But none of these seam to fit the bill.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
I also had one of the nice stainless steel LD01s which was really nice until I lost it on a train. Sorry to hear that yours appears to have 'bitten the dust'.

I am surprised to hear that it died from a fall, how far did it drop and what sort of surface did it fall onto? Without being patronising, at least I hope, what have you tried to get the light working again? I presume you have tried a replacement AAA cell and I hope you won't take offence at the question.

I haven't replaced by LD01 yet and am thinking about the 4Sevens Preons at the moment, that might satisfy your requirements. You could try one of the 4Sevens Minis if you want something a little brighter.

There are likely to be some good suggestions forthcoming; I am a little out of touch with what is around at the moment as I haven't bought a torch for some time - hopefully this will change shortly!

Andrew

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
It fell about 6 feet onto a rock and hasnt worked since. i changed the battery and cleaned all the threads with alcohaul and put more grease on it but still nothing :shakehead i quite like some of the 4sevens lights but i live in the uk so was hoping to buy from a uk website and im not sure if 4sevens ships worldwide.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I am also in the UK and have bought many lights from 4Sevens, his prices include Worldwide shipping. The only difficulty is that you *will* be stung for the Royal Mail charge of £8 on top of the VAT, the VAT being tiny in comparison. It puts me off buying lights in small quantities and I am currently saving up for a batch just to mitigate the Royal Mail charges.

The 4Sevens lights are available from their Polish franchise (www.4sevens.pl) which, whilst more expensive than from David directly, will not be subject to import taxation.

Alternatively, there are sites such as this one in the UK http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/torch-brands/4sevens.html (not that I have used them).

One reason for buying from David directly is his amazing customer service although I am sure you will still receive it when buying his torches.

If you want small and properly 'home grown' lights then have a look at Rob's (Lummi) http://www.lummi.co.uk/Lummi_Home.html he has an amazing range of tiny torches all using rechargable lithium-ion cells and he is based in North Devon.

As for the deceased, you might be able open up the head to have a look but I would suggest e-mailing Fenix to see if they can offer any promise of relief under their warranty.

Andrew

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A shame about your light, itsdark.

If you're out of luck with warranty repair (a bit tricky to even ask, if the damage was from a significant drop), and have got to the point of writing the LD01 off, then there's no harm in maybe trying to dismantle it a bit more, to see if there's anything that looks potentially fixable (or if that's not your cup of tea, giving the light to someone who might do that).

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
i tried to get the head to open in two but it looks like they put locktight on it so i cant get it open. The besil has a bit of a dent in the side and the led looks like its moved. I think i may have underestimated the size of the drop, i was thinking there were 1.5 feet per meter but there are 3 feet so it fell about 10 to 12 feet

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
a drop and is it dead?
If it be a incan it was just throwing a drop-in into and it would be alive again!
[/incan-holic mode] :)

All kidding aside, my vote goes to 4sevens Quark mini. :thumbsup:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A roughly head-first fall could presumably dislodge/break part of the driver assembly, which I guess could be fairly compact/fragile in an LD01.

If it were mine, I'd probably be happy to try to open it at almost any cost in time and damage, but then to me, cosmetics take a definite back seat compared to functionality, as people who've seen my products would likely understand.

I guess in an incan, there would be dropins available. Not sure that there would be many alternatives that would fit/work in an LD01.