Southern Georgia (U.S.) Swamp Pictures

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hunting season is rapidly approaching, and I'm an avid outdoorsman when the weather isn't so dang hot. Anyway, yesterday I decided I'd like to go check my hunting stands, and the surrounding area (I don't think I could have picked a hotter day though.....), and just before I was leaving my house I though some of you guys might like to see what the swamps of Southern Georgia look like :D. Most of the time I walk through the woods, but since it was so hot, and since I was taking my camera, I decided to take my boat. Did I mention how hot and humid it is here? Man, it's really hot in South Georgia this time of year. It's consistently 97, 98 degrees F here, but the humidity makes even worse. I can stand outside, not doing anything and start to immediately seat within a couple of minutes. Anyway, enough talking; here are some pictures:

This river has low lying limbs, and it just so happens that these low lying limbs are home to lots of HUGE Red Wasp. The last thing you want to do is run your boat into one these nests so you constantly have to be on lookout. These Wasp are almost twice the size of a common household Red Wasp. I've never been stung by any of them, but I imagine it wouldn't feel very good.
DSC00847mod.jpg

DSC00847crop.jpg

Once I got past the Wasp, who were aggressively staring me down as I was taking their picture, (I think I heard one of them say "go ahead punk, make my day" :D), I turned to see this beautiful view:

DSC00851mod.jpg

DSC00858mod.jpg

DSC00920mod.jpg

So I'm making my way down river and I decide to take a picture of this Cypress tree. These are pretty common here:

DSC00897crop1.jpg

So I'm paddling along again, and then I remembered that my uncle built some steps, and a stand in a cypress tree years ago so he could sit in the tree and spear Gar. He had some type of contraption similar to a crossbow that shot arrows. The reason he wanted to be up high in the tree is because you can see the Gar much better when you're elevated. Since the water is so dark, you only see a long, dark spot. This is the Gar swimming near the surface of the watter. For anyone who's interested in what a Gar is, click here. Here's a couple of pictures of the steps, and the stand. As you can see, the stand is rotten so it's no good any more, and if you look above the two boards, you can see what's either a bee hive/nest or it could possibly be Yellow Jackets; I'm not sure which, and I have no intentions of getting close enough to find out :D.

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

When traveling to my stand by boat I have to navigate my way through this. It can get tricky sometimes because the boat's too wide to fit though certain trees LOL...:

DSC00888.jpg

Once I hit land I took a random picture:

DSC00875.jpg

Then a picture of a couple of trees:

This one is a White Oak Tree:

DSC00885mod.jpg

The next one is a Magnolia Tree. The canopy is really thick here so the trees grow really tall competing with each other for light:

DSC00876.jpg

And I saved the best picture for last LOL.... When you go out to these types of places, especially by yourself, you better be packing :D:

packing.jpg

Maybe you guys enjoyed seeing the swamps of South Georgia. If I take some more pictures, I'll update this thread.

Last edited:

fishinfool

Enlightened
Wow, beautiful pics ti-force. Nice guns too. BTW, with your next set of pics, can you take your Keltec out of the holster? When I lived in Alaska I had a bunch of guns and rifles but had to sell them all when I move here. I miss my toys.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, beautiful pics ti-force. Nice guns too. BTW, with your next set of pics, can you take your Keltec out of the holster? When I live in Alaska I had a bunch of guns and rifles but had to sell them all when I move here. I miss my toys.

Thanks for the complement :).

Darvis

Enlightened
ti-force, what county? I'm in Atlanta and am interested in how far that would be from me... I'm mostly familiar with Northern GA and happen to think GA is about as gorgeous as it gets!

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
ti-force, what county? I'm in Atlanta and am interested in how far that would be from me... I'm mostly familiar with Northern GA and happen to think GA is about as gorgeous as it gets!

Indeed, Georgia is beautiful. Helen is truly gorgeous in the fall. I live in Tift county. If you've ever been to Florida, you've probably driven right through Tifton. The river in the pictures is the Alapaha River, which starts around Cordele, and runs south into Florida. It's definitely worth seeing in person.

Darvis

Enlightened
Yes indeed, Tifton!!! We drive through it all the time on the way to see my folks in FL... and I think 75 crosses that river as well... I never knew it was so nice down that way. I spent many years North, East and West on my motorcycle, but those days are over and South GA remains my last frontier. I'll have to get there soon...

mrartillery

Enlightened
Nice pictures. Glad to see your packing some heat in these places, seems like everything is out to get you in the swamp. :eek: Next you need to get yourself a Raging Bull, I love my 454, it would make a alligator tuck its tail. :cool:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes indeed, Tifton!!! We drive through it all the time on the way to see my folks in FL... and I think 75 crosses that river as well... I never knew it was so nice down that way. I spent many years North, East and West on my motorcycle, but those days are over and South GA remains my last frontier. I'll have to get there soon...

I know exactly where you need to go. Okefenokee Swamp :D. You would absolutely love it. Click here and here for some websites, and click here for some Google image results.

Beautiful pictures, but that gun doesn't look big enough for whatever's in the water. Sonoran desert looks better all the time.

LOL.... Yeah, we certainly have things that bite, sting, attack etc. I usually see a couple of Aligators, but I didn't see any on this outing.

Nice pictures. Glad to see your packing some heat in these places, seems like everything is out to get you in the swamp. :eek: Next you need to get yourself a Raging Bull, I love my 454, it would make a alligator tuck its tail. :cool:

A friend of mine actually has a Raging Bull in 454 Casull, and he's talked about selling it so I might need to check with him again, and see if he really wants to part with it :D.

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
This time of the year those giant red wasps are always trying to build nests on the eaves of our house. They love to build nests in the fig trees. And yes, they will absolutely "Light You Up". They hurt like the devil and are very aggressive if you get within a few feet of the nest.

mrartillery

Enlightened
A friend of mine actually has a Raging Bull in 454 Casull, and he's talked about selling it so I might need to check with him again, and see if he really wants to part with it :D.

Cool, yeah you need to pick it up if he wants to sell. I love mine! Previously I owned a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull and the recoil of the Raging Bull is less than half than that of the Redhawk. The ported barrel and large cushion grip really controls the punch of the Casull. The 454 recoils back more so than up, so comfort is a big thing when shooting such a large caliber. Sorry don't mean to hi-jack your thread. :thumbsup:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry don't mean to hi-jack your thread. :thumbsup:

No sweat, and technically there are some guns pictured so it's not off topic. Or at least I don't think so :D.

Cool pics, watch out for the Fouke monster or skunk ape. :D

You have to watch out for those Crock-a-Gators, Copper Headed Rattle Moccasins, and Spider Monkeys too LOL......

nbp

Flashaholic
I just watched the first episode of Swamp People last night on history. I know that's in Louisiana, but it looks a lot like your Georgia pictures. Except those gator-gunnin' Cajuns with marbles in their mouths....:ohgeez:I hope the rest of the world doesn't think all Americans are like that. I like your swamp though, say hi to Shrek for me. ;)

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been on CPF just a few years, but am fairly new to the Cafe. Thanks for sharing those photos. I've got quite a few things made by Gene43.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just watched the first episode of Swamp People last night on history. I know that's in Louisiana, but it looks a lot like your Georgia pictures. Except those gator-gunnin' Cajuns with marbles in their mouths....:ohgeez:I hope the rest of the world doesn't think all Americans are like that. I like your swamp though, say hi to Shrek for me. ;)

+1, great show I thought. I never knew there was such demand for gators. :thinking:

I'll have to DVR Swamp People. I wanted to catch the first episode when it came on, but I fell asleep :(. Did they mention what they do with the gators they catch? I guess they sell them for meat, hide etc.? We have to apply for a quota hunt here, and your name has to be drawn to be eligible for the hunt, and even then you're limited to 1 a season (I think), and you have to travel to the place they specify for hunting them. I guess the alligator hasn't completely made a population come-back in Georgia so they're much more strict.

I've been on CPF just a few years, but am fairly new to the Cafe. Thanks for sharing those photos. I've got quite a few things made by Gene43.

I'm new to the Cafe myself, and I'm glad you enjoyed looking at my pics. Also, Mr. Malkoff does make great products; I have one of his MC-E p60 drop-ins, but it stays in the safe, and I don't use it very often because it was purchased from MrGman, and I use it as a calibration light for my homemade integrating sphere. I'm thinking about one of the new Hound Dogs though :D (when they're not sold out :rolleyes:....:D).

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I'll have to DVR Swamp People. I wanted to catch the first episode when it came on, but I fell asleep :(. Did they mention what they do with the gators they catch? I guess they sell them for meat, hide etc.? We have to apply for a quota hunt here, and your name has to be drawn to be eligible for the hunt, and even then you're limited to 1 a season (I think), and you have to travel to the place they specify for hunting them. I guess the alligator hasn't completely made a population come-back in Georgia so they're much more strict.
QUOTE]

Correct. Meat and hides. These guys slay a lot, a lot of gators. I don't know if they get some kind of special permit, but IIRC one of them said last season he got like 150 gators or some ridiculous number. While I do a little hunting here and there myself (not gators), I didn't really like seeing them kill so many. I realize that this is the end result for all food animals, but something about it just was disconcerting. Maybe it's just because for me, an alligator isn't a food item, we don't eat it here. It's something unique and impressive. But we've got cattle, and I don't think twice about them even though I know their eventuality is the same. Anyways, if you see any gators in your swamp, see if you can get a pic! They are really neat. :tinfoil: