What do YOU use your LED flashlight for?

CPFBiology

Enlightened
So, there is all this talk about good lumens output and good runtime, but in the end, what is it all used for?

-searching rooms?
-search and rescue?
-camping purposes?
-weapon light?
-to examine electrical panels?
-to impress friends?
-just for the fun of collecting them?
-walking the dog-safely?
-general preparedness?

What do you use your LED flashlight for? Which flashlight is it?

:thumbsup:

trsmfan99

Newly Enlightened
Working on customers vehicles, installing batteries, checking for leaks, burned fuses, another day at the zone. EDC Surefire E1b backup always in pocket, never leave home without it, and a Fenix PD10 on keychain. Go little lithium go...lol...:twothumbs

Xacto

Enlightened
Since the aforemention thread is about specific uses and this one is about general uses - I use my flashlights for

-searching rooms (in my flat / our house) just for the fun of it
-just for the fun of collecting them
-general preparedness?

Cheers
Thorsten

matthewmyatt

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm night-blind, so I use my flashlights and headtorches pretty much all the time.

- Finding my way around outside at night.
- Looking for stuff in cupboards and boxes.
- Reading books.
- Doing any fiddly jobs, where the extra light helps me see what I'm doing

The advances in battery and LED technology over the last ten years has made an enormous imporvement to my quality of life. When I first went to uni 15 years ago, I bought a 2AA Maglite to help me get around. It was rubbish and hardly helped at all.

Nowadays, I can't imagine how I'd cope without my LEDs.

- ZL H50 for general stuff and reading.
- ZL S60 (just replaced my trusty Fexix P3D) for walking around outside at night.
- Olight M30 for walking around at night when its *really* dark, or off-road.
- Lupine Wilma + Fenix P3D for cycling after dark.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Mine mostly see proper use at my workplace (a ship), but now that I'm back in school they're purely a fun/preparedness item.

Onboard one always has to have a light for inspecting equipment, looking for leaks, equipment under the floor panels, garbage and general crap in other such nooks and crannies.. It's very useful, the only downside being that everyone else wants to borrow it instead of the so-and-so incandescent Pelican lights they issued.:shrug:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a high CRI Ra Clicky that I use for general everyday use. Nothing specific, just whenever I need a little extra light, out comes the Clicky. The 0.2 lumen setting is perfect for prowling around the house late at night.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the aforemention thread is about specific uses and this one is about general uses - I use my flashlights for

-searching rooms (in my flat / our house) just for the fun of it
-just for the fun of collecting them
-general preparedness?

Cheers
Thorsten

Same for me!

While I started buying lights for geocaching by night, I always carry at least 3 lights in my pocket and backpack for that purpose, but we rarely do a nightcache.

So, my lights are mostly use at home, just for fun, to "test" them, to compare them, to enjoy the beams. You always need a light to search for the cats' toys under shelves or for fallen down small pills on the carpet.

One day, we'll have a power failure that will last for hours (our failures usually last less than 5 minutes, most even only a few seconds...), our house will be the only lit one all around, I'll put tailstanding lights everywhere, wear (at least) one headlamp and have one in each hand (a flooder and a throwier one). That's why I bought dozens of primaries and a drawer full of rechargeables... :devil:

m3flies

Banned
I use my lights for working when called in at a public utility. Looking in the dark corners of the basement or attic for signs of critters or insects. Pretty much any dark spot in the house. Night walks on the shorline to see what has washed up. I'll also go out into the yard to shine on the tree line just for the heck of it.

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I use mine for:

-Checking on the kids in bed at night without disturbing them
-Outside navigation when hiking/walking at night
-Exploring caves and abandoned mines
-Lighting up the inside of computers when working on them
-Finding things in poorly lit environments, i.e. under desks/seats etc
-Moving around my house late at night
-Checking outside the house for security purposes/finding the cat
-Finding things in my attic/loft
-Light during power outages (doesn't happen nearly often enough)

These are just the uses I can think of, off the top of my head. There are frequently others that come up!

Latest posts