• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sales Thread for the Black Edition PhD-M6 custom battery pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Sales Thread for the Black Edition PhD-M6 custom battery pack - CLOSED

CLOSED THREAD

August 24, 2013

NOTE: I just sold the last pack this week as I have run out of parts to keep production running.

Many thanks to Eric, our customers, and to CPF for the great support for this project :)

Will

****************************************************************************************************

NOTE: Starting on July 21, 2012, I will be selling the remaining packs for $150 plus shipping.

If you buy 2x packs at the same time, the second pack will be only an additional $100. So two packs (can be different settings for each pack) would be $250 plus shipping.

Will

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This is the sales thread for the Black Edition PhD-M6 pack. The initial sales thread is located here. The feeler thread is located here, and the original PhD-M6 development thread can be found here.

The feedback/discussion thread on the production packs will remain open, so please lets keep this thread focused solely on the sales side so that I can make sure I process orders properly and in a timely fashion.

What is the PhD-M6:
The PhD-M6 pack consists of a custom battery carrier designed by Eric Marshall (Odd Mods), and a custom, microprocessor driver designed and programmed by William Quiles (ATDMS). The PhD-M6 pack has the following features: PWM (pulse width modulation) to offer true voltage regulation for incandescent bulbs, soft start, runs from 3x 17670 protected Li-Ion cells (not included), has low voltage detection, and has 4 user-selectable output voltages (via 2-position DIP switches) for various bulb choices. This pack does not require any alteration to the M6. It is literally a drop-in pack. All you do is insert batteries into the side-loading holder (with proper orientation), select the desired voltage setting with the two dip switches, put the corresponding bulb in the head of the M6, and go.

The development thread and feeler threads have a lot more information, photos, videos, so I am not going to duplicate those here. Latest guide can be found here:
PhD-M6_Instructions_v10.pdf

To operate the pack:
1) Insert the desired bulb in the M6
2) Insert protected LiIon 17670 cells into the PhD-M6 pack (cells inserted from the side - no need to pull apart the battery carrier).
3) Out of the 4 possible voltage selections, pick the one that best matches the bulb used in step 1. Set the two switches as follows:

Level 1 - Target Voltage = 5.0 volts
For use with the SureFire N1. WA1218 might also work with a bi-pin adapter (maybe). A SureFire Z46 (M3 head) modded to accept D36 lamps could possibly be used to run Wolf-Eyes and Pila "6V" D36 incandecent lamps.
Switch position: OFF OFF
DSCF2995_crop.JPG

Level 2 - Target Voltage = 6.8 volts
For use with the SureFire MN16 and MN21 primarily. MN11 can be used in a Z46 head. WA1160 w/FM bi-pin adapter.
Switch position: OFF ON
DSCF2996_crop.JPG

Level 3 - Target Voltage = 7.5 volts
For use with SureFire MN15, N2, MN20, N62 in stock TurboHead. SureFire MN10, LumensFactory HO-M3, EO-M3 and IMR-M3 in SF Z46 head. All "9V" style D36 lamps in a modded Z46 head (Wolf-Eyes, Pila 9V D36 lamps, LF SR-9L, HO-9L, EO-9L, IMR-9L). Osram 64250, Carley 1057, MagCharger bulb (GE 787), and possibly other bi-pin lamps in an FM bi-pin adapter.
Switch position: ON OFF
DSCF2997_crop.JPG

Level 4 - Target Voltage = 10.8
For use with the WA1185, IMR-M6 and HO-M6R bulbs. Could also be used with the SureFire MN60 and get some pretty good over-drive. The MN61 would be over-driven so heavily I would not expect it to last long at all but it might work for some. LumensFactory HO-13, EO-13, and IMR-13 D36 lamps could all be used in a modded Z46 head.
Switch position: ON ON
DSCF2998_crop.JPG

Updates to the PhD-M6 pack
The first sales thread used the A3 version of the custom battery carrier from Eric, which was mostly based on white Delrin. The new sales thread will be using the A5 version of the custom battery carrier, which incorporates two changes: a little bit more protection to the driver board, and the use of Black Delrin.

As you will see in the pictures below, Eric accomplished this by designing a thicker top cover (without altering the overall length of the pack) which now leaves less space exposed, and that has the top 1/3 of the switch inside the top cover, while using a more ergonomic opening for the switch. Not a night-and-day difference, but since feedback in this thread reflected some worry about the driver board being somewhat exposed, this new revision of the pack improves this a little bit. And as the name suggests, the pack will now be Black Delrin.

Here on the left is the revision A5, Black Edition PhD-M6 pack, and on the right is the original PhD-M6 pack:
DSCF3092.JPG

New one on top - note the thicker top cover:
DSCF3093.JPG

New Black Edition PhD-M6 pack followed by the original PhD-M6 pack:
DSCF3094.JPG

DSCF3095.JPG

New switch opening in the Black Edition PhD-M6 pack:
DSCF3097.JPG

Original switch opening in the original PhD-M6 pack:
DSCF3096.JPG

And a close up of both packs:
DSCF3098.JPG

NOTE: Please note this following picture of the "bottom" side of the pack. I ship the packs as shown in the right, with the nut pointing inwards, which allows the electrical path to occur. If you install this piece as in the left side, with the nut facing outwards, the pack will never work:
DSCF0027.JPG

Both packs with AW's black label cells:
DSCF3103.JPG

I will be doing a minor update to the PhD-M6 manual/guide to reflect the Red/Green dots in the new Black Edition PhD-M6 pack (versus the Red/Black in the original pack), but please note that there are no electrical/functional changes. Both the original PhD-M6 pack and the new Black Edition PhD-M6 pack will work and function "exactly" the same way.

Pricing and options:
- Regular price for everyone: $150

NOTE: If you buy 2x packs at the same time, the second pack will be only an additional $100. *So two packs (can be different settings for each pack) would be $250 plus shipping.

Shipping is $5 for domestic and $15 for international, via USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box. There are no extra charge for custom voltage options, and no extra charge for Paypal fees, so the total price for CPF members is:

Domestic Price = $150 + $5
International Price = $150 + $15

Prices don't include insurance, nor tracking, and you need to provide your own 3x protected LiIon 17670 cells/charger. Eric and I recommend the black label AW LiIon cells which can be purchased from AW.

Please put your CPF handle and short note about your order in the Paypal note. Also please select "Goods" so that your address will be shown in the payment.

NOTE: If you live in Texas, the State of TX requires me to collect 8.25% for sales tax. If you live in TX please contact me on email (email in my signature).

Eric has created a chart comparing many bulbs, in regards with their output, current draw, recommended drive level, etc.. We are not recommending using all of those bulbs with the PhD-M6, since many of them really go past the safe 2C load on the cells, but it is still a very good summary, and a good way to compare bulbs, so that you can have some options. Updated bulb charts/tables from Eric:
PhDM6_Bulb_Chart_8_21_10.xls

Thanks to forum member and contributor Justin_Case, we also have available the same information as a graph/photo (PNG format):
http://m3coupe.com/electronics/PhD/part2/PhDM6_Bulb_Chart_8_21_10.png

Serial Number:
Each PhD-M6 pack comes with an unique 8 character serial number. The nomenclature for the serial number is as follows:

A5S2xxxx

A5 - First version (A), with 5 minor revisions - latest is the Black Edition
S2 - Standard/default values - second set (Custom packs will have a C in here, and prototypes had a P in here)
xxxx - production # (unique, always incrementing for each pack - if a pack is reprogrammed, it would get a new xxxx production number)

Packs with custom values will have a Cy in place of the S2, like this:
A5C1xxxx -> first custom set of values
A6C2xxxx -> second set of values

So far I have defined the following sets of custom values:
C1
Level 1 = 6.8 Vrms
Level 2 = 7.4 Vrms
Level 3 = 9.2 Vrms
Level 4 = 10.8 Vrms

C2
Level 1 = 6.8 Vrms
Level 2 = 7.4 Vrms
Level 3 = 9.3 Vrms
Level 4 = 10.8 Vrms

C3
Level 1 = 6.8 Vrms
Level 2 = 7.3 Vrms
Level 3 = 8.0 Vrms
Level 4 = 10.8 Vrms

C4
Level 1 = 6.8 Vrms
Level 2 = 7.2 Vrms
Level 3 = 9.2 Vrms
Level 4= 10.8 Vrms

C5
Level 1 = 6.8Vrms
Level 2 = 7.5Vrms
Level 3 = 9.2Vrms
Level 4 = 10.8Vrms

C6
Level 1 = 6.8Vrms
Level 2 = 7.4Vrms
Level 3 = 9.0Vrms
Level 4 = 10.8Vrms

C7
Level 1 = 6.8Vrms
Level 2 = 7.5Vrms
Level 3 = 9.2Vrms
Level 4 = 10.0Vrms

C8 = C6
Level 1 = 6.8Vrms
Level 2 = 7.4Vrms
Level 3 = 9.0Vrms
Level 4 = 10.8Vrms

S2 standard values:
Level 1 = 5.0 volts
Level 2 = 6.8 volts
Level 3 = 7.5 volts
Level 4 = 10.8 volts

=> Default behavior for almost depleted cells = Moon Mode

Moon Mode means = PWM duty cycle goes down by 1/2, so output RMS voltage goes down approximately 30%.

If somebody asks for a custom set of values that matches exactly one of those above, the first part of the serial number will share the common C1, C2, C3 - C8 - which makes sense since that implies that those packs have/share the same settings. As folks order new custom values, I will keep defining new C sets.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it because I did not get to this point of selling the pack by myself. Much thanks to:
- Alan B. for his initial work on the PWD code/solution which enabled me to come up with this M6-specific solution.
- Eric for volunteering to create the awesome custom battery carrier that is an integral part of the PhD-M6 pack.
- Jimmy and George for their support in many areas, not only with the code, but also with part selection, the PWB layout, etc.
- LuxLuthor and leukos for testing/feedback, help with the users' guide, etc.
- Many forum members who came up with great ideas/suggestions, and/or agreed to review/test/debug the initial prototypes

Warnings:
- For general user safety, prevention of Li-Ion cell, PhD-M6, flashlight damage, personal injury & personal properly, you MUST use protected 17670 Li-Ion cells!. Although the regulator does have reverse battery protection when used with "protected" 17670 LiIon cells, please note the battery polarity markings on the battery carrier for proper operation. The pack will shutdown when the cells are depleted, triggering the individual cell protection circuit. We recommend using AW protected Li-Ion 17670 cells found here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=230876
- Do not use this pack with bulb setups above 35Watts.
- Always use eye protection when changing or handling bulbs. They are under high pressure and can explode. After inserting bulbs, always clean them with Isopropyl alcohol and let dry.
- This pack has been tested to work only with LiIon cells of LiCo chemistry. It has not been designed to work with any other cell type/chemistry.
- (NEW) Even when the light is OFF, the PhD-M6 has parasitic drain on the cells, and the cells will discharge in approximately 3-4 months of sitting idle. To stop the drainage remove at least one of the 3 cells, or remember to top-off the cells anytime the pack has been sitting idle for 1 month or more.

Disclaimer:
This is a custom made product, which assumes the user has the necessary knowledge of safe Li-Ion charging procedures and usage. If this PhD-M6 is not used properly, it is possible to explode a bulb, cause a fire, personal injury, damage any part of your flashlight, batteries, this device, or other personal property. While best efforts have been made to provide a safe and quality product, none of the parties involved in making, servicing, or providing this device will be responsible for damages of any nature whatsoever resulting from the use of or reliance upon information from this document, online references, or the products to which the information refers. Any part in this product could fail unexpectedly, so you hereby agree to use this at your own risk, and take all necessary precautions.

SureFire, which manufactures and sells the M6 and respective bulbs is not affiliated or associated in any maner with ATDMS or this custom PhD-M6 product. SureFire does not manufacture, sponsor, warrant, and has no involvement or endorsement of any ATDMS product. The use of any/all SureFire trademarks is strictly for the purpose of identifying the host flashlight for the ATDMS product advertised. All other trademarks, copyrights, graphics, images, text, or other content not owned by ATDMS or any of its related companies that appear with this PhD-M6 are the property of their respective owners, irrespective of any affiliation, or involvement with ATDMS.

How to order:
On post #2 there is a list of the available packs. As more orders come in, I will be making more completed packs until I run out of parts. No reservation please. You must pay first then claim your spot by posting here. I will update the list on post #2 after I receive your payment. As these are custom programmed, please don't pay if you may change your mind. Turn-around time is typically 1-2 days. If I get completely inundated with lots of orders at the same time, then it might take me up to a week or more to fulfill your order.

To order:
1) Note who ordered before you, and claim an non-used # from the list and post a reply in this thread with your # and the custom values that you want.
2) Send $150 + $5 for domestic or $150 + $15 for International to => wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com
3) Make SURE to note your CPF name somewhere in your payment, along with the # you selected, custom values, and any other pertinent information.

Example is using an existing combination of custom values (domestic shipping):
I will take #9.
Custom Volage values = C3
:paypal: for $150 + $5

Example is using a new combination of custom values (international shipping):
I will take #11.
Custom Volage values:
Level 1 = 5.0 Vrms
Level 2 = 6.0 Vrms
Level 3 = 7.0 Vrms
Level 4 = 8.0 Vrms
:paypal: for $150 + $15

Will

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

CLOSED THREAD

August 24, 2013

NOTE: I just sold the last pack this week as I have run out of parts to keep production running.

Many thanks to Eric, our customers, and to CPF for the great support for this project :)

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
NOTE: Regardless of the numbers below, I still have parts to make additional packs, but I am very rapidly running out of them. Just contact me via email for availability. I will keep making them until I run out of parts.

Available packs:

1) brandx - Custom set C-5. Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
2) Tempest UK - Custom set C7. Extra for EMS shipping to UK. Paid. Shipped. Received.
3) hron61 - Custom set C5. Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
4) UnderTheWeepingMoon - Standard set S2. International. Paid. Shipped Received..
5) hron61 - Custom set C5. Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
6) jaundice - Custom set C5. Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
7) munchs - Custom set C5. International. Paid. Shipped. Received.
8) jellydonut - Custom set C5. International. Paid. Shipped. Received.
9) (taken - info lost)
10) (taken - info lost)
11) (taken - info lost)
12) (taken - info lost)
13) st_burt - Custom set C5. Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
14) light saber - Custom set C5. International. Paid. Shipped. Received.
15) DavidS - Standard set (S2) - International. Paid. Shipped. Received.
16) theamazingrando - Custom set - Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
17) Red-T - Custom set C5 - International. Paid. Shipped. Received.
18) editedby - Custom set - Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
19) Flea Bag - Custom set- International. Paid. Shipped. Received.
20) walterr839 - S2 - Domestic. Paid. Received.
21) hron61 - Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
22) hron61 - Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
23) JMM244 - Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
24) Glowmo - Domestic. Paid. Shipped.
25) done via email - Domestic. Paid. Shipped. Received.
26) Grox - S2 - International. Paid. Shipped.
27) scout24 S2 - Domestic. Paid. Being Built ......
28)
29)
30)

NOTE: Regardless of the numbers above, I still have parts to make additional packs, but I am very rapidly running out of them. Just contact me via email for availability. I will keep making them until I run out of parts.

I want to pass along a good tip on maintenance for your M6. To ensure optimum current capability, it is important to clean/wipe this edge from time to time:
DSCF4140.JPG

and if you can, it is also good to remove the press-fit metal tailcap insert and clean the lower lip as well (since that is what contacts the body of the light to transfer current):
DSCF4141.JPG

DSCF4142.JPG

Will

Last edited:

brandx

Newly Enlightened
Please sign me up for #1 with C-5 voltages, payment incoming as discussed. I went a long time without an M-6 due to it's carnivorous battery appetite, but then acquiesed anyway..... Will & Eric, THANK YOU both for development efforts on this.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Please sign me up for #1 with C-5 voltages, payment incoming as discussed. I went a long time without an M-6 due to it's carnivorous battery appetite, but then acquiesed anyway..... Will & Eric, THANK YOU both for development efforts on this.

Got it - thanks. I will work on your custom pack this coming Monday, and as soon as payment arrives I will promptly ship your pack :D

Will

my_gentle_cry

Newly Enlightened
25) my gentle cry - 1 - confirmed! - custom pack (C1 set)
:paypal:
C1 set
($165 + $15)1.03 = $185.40

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic

I am done with your pack - it is ready :thumbsup:
DSCF3118.JPG

Just received my PhD-M6 and have been trying it out.

This is one of the all-time great CPF-born projects, IMO, and the result is SUPERB. Like some others, I was keen to try it out with the MN21 HOLA, which I have only used on rare occasions due to the $$$$$ of running it on primaries.

Well... all you guys who (like me) have had MN21s sitting around unused for that same reason - look no further. The PhD-M6 is the answer! In fact, because of the regulation, it gives a BETTER perfomance than you get with the stock 6x primary holder. So it's a no-brainer: $$$$$ with primaries vs. $0.00 with the PhD-M6.

And it can be used with all the popular bulbs I used in my M6 shootout - and more. There have been other and far better evaluations of this pack, and doubtless there will be a great deal more to be said about what an amazingly innovative and useful item it is. The manufacturing screams quality and durability - it is a winner there too.

I'm delighted with the way this has turned out, and as soon as I work out what custom settings I would like, I'll be putting in an order for a 2nd one - a PhD-M6-BK-Stealth, lol.

Well done, Will and Eric!

For the record, I am not a shill. :crackup:

Thank you for your kind words David - it certainly has been a great learning experience and I am happy that the packs are working well and being well received :eek:

and thanks for confirming receipt. I was beginning to worry about all of the packs I sent outside the USA. Since yours was the very first group that I shipped, I would hope that the rest of the international packs start to arrive soon :D

brandx

Newly Enlightened
Unit #1 Stealth model... looks very good Will. I do like the modification that more fully covers the circuit board, I doubt it matters when unit is in the M6, but should someone carry a spare PhD in their pack or glove box this would appear to be better at keeping ingress of various nasties to a minimum. Post office should get to you in next day or so ......

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
Yeah... My number just got drawn in the PHD-M6 Lottery
Brand-s chose my custom values!

Ok, not that big a deal!

Stephen

wquiles

Flashaholic
Unit #1 Stealth model... looks very good Will. I do like the modification that more fully covers the circuit board, I doubt it matters when unit is in the M6, but should someone carry a spare PhD in their pack or glove box this would appear to be better at keeping ingress of various nasties to a minimum. Post office should get to you in next day or so ......

Payment arrived today - thanks. Your PhD-M6 pack leaves towards you tomorrow AM :D

EDIT: package shipped!

Will

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi will.
i'll take slot #2

for C5 custom voltage values
6.8v
7.5v
9.2v
10.8v

:paypal: $195.00 + $5.00

thanks, hron61

brandx

Newly Enlightened
Tempest... looks like several posts were lost, see the "lost posts" announcements at the very top ... I suspect Will will sort out your order and re-update the sales list when he sees this. Mine arrived a couple days ago and I am very pleased and impressed. Hron61 ..... those are the same voltage levels I got and as I recall from your lost post you seemed to be wanting to run almost the same bulbs I do.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Brand is correct - just a minor problem with the CPF database.

Post #2 has been updated again to reflect latest orders up to this morning (Monday).

Thanks again for your patience and support :)

Will

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tempest... looks like several posts were lost, see the "lost posts" announcements at the very top ... I suspect Will will sort out your order and re-update the sales list when he sees this. Mine arrived a couple days ago and I am very pleased and impressed. Hron61 ..... those are the same voltage levels I got and as I recall from your lost post you seemed to be wanting to run almost the same bulbs I do.

brandx...yeah, i did alot of reading about this last night and i figured the c5 values were the ones. problem is... i have 3 m6's and will only have one phd-m6 pack. :ohgeez:crap!!

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey will,
since the phd-m6 packs are gonna be a smash hit, any chance you might do one for the surefire m4? thats one platform that could surely use one of these for sure. i have one and it will be getting bored for 18650's very soon to help it out some but one of these packs would bring it out of the closet and into the light (pun intended). :whistle:

brandx

Newly Enlightened
Hey Tempest...you're up late it looks like. I made my post BC (before caffeine) and then realized you had figured out the lost post issue already.... you're going to love your pack.
Hron61..... guess you just need 3 PhD's :naughty: for the other M6's.

wquiles

Flashaholic
hey will,
since the phd-m6 packs are gonna be a smash hit, any chance you might do one for the surefire m4? thats one platform that could surely use one of these for sure. i have one and it will be getting bored for 18650's very soon to help it out some but one of these packs would bring it out of the closet and into the light (pun intended). :whistle:

Addressing this question on the feedback thread.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.