jetbeam rrt-0 R5 AWESOME

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
Just got the the JB RRT-0 R5. Thanks to all the great info on this site. Been lurking but I thought it was time to chimed in. The light has alot of throw and enough spill to be useful at work and the adjustable ring is perfect not to much tension but enough that it will not move in my holster. Perfect EDC. now I have to wait for my EX10 to get here friday. This is how it all starts.
Thanks again guys.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
I'm not so impressed. My first RRT-0 R5 looked like a prototype head (had a Q5 but not marked "premium" (or whatever) and the AA extension tube wouldn't even thread on. The head had an off-center spring for the "+" contact that shorted out against the head when a battery was installed.

The replacement has a completely different pill with a post for the "+" contact, marked "premium R5", and the AA tube fits. Good. But, this thing has the worst dark center spot I've even seen - much worse than the original KL4 "donut hole". Large dark center with a very thin bright ring and decent, non-ringy, spill beyond that. Like looking at a filtered pic of the sun's corona. This is distracting in even real-world use, not just white wall.

They've changed the exterior shape of the reflector, too. A spare OP reflector I have won't fit. The small end is tapered differently to sit in a plastic centering cup in the head.

Oh, and both samples have an overly (IMHO) purple tint.

Only response from JetBeam so far: "Thanks for your email. We will consult the engineer and give you answers as soon as possible." Hope it is soon or I'm returning it.

Dan FO

Enlightened
You can adjust the beam to your liking and eliminate any donut hole simply by slightly rotating the front HA-III bezel.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
You can adjust the beam to your liking and eliminate any donut hole simply by slightly rotating the front HA-III bezel.

Sorry, not this one. Adjusting the bezel on this particular sample makes the beam even worse and causes the reflector to rattle around in the head. You realize the reflector is kept in place by the seat around the LED and is not firmly anchored by the bezel alone, right?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't your other textured reflector fit, I put a older textured reflector in I had for one of my XR-E models and it fits fine.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Why don't your other textured reflector fit, I put a older textured reflector in I had for one of my XR-E models and it fits fine.

Do you have the head marked "Premium R5" with the "+" post or one like the first one I got with a different pill with a "+" spring? I tried an older reflector in the latter and it fit fine, too.

In the new head, the centering cup around the LED is a different shape and the small end of the "new" reflector has a different profile to match. Additionally, the LED hole in the reflector is smaller to match the R5.

The spare (OP) reflector I have won't sit low enough in the new style centering cup and the bezel ring only catches a thread or so and won't screw down correctly. I've re-profiled the older reflector in a lathe with some success but that probably belongs in the mods forum...

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is labeled Premium R5 at the head and has a + post, the bottom of the reflector I installed sits away from the emitter a bit but does not seem to hurt the output.

the head you initially got sounds really messed up, spring for the contact and Q5 I would not be happy either. Actually even after installing the textured reflector to get rid of the donut hole I'm not that impressed because of the awful blue tint.

I will stick to my XR-E model when it's time to carry my RRT-0

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Actually even after installing the textured reflector to get rid of the donut hole I'm not that impressed because of the awful blue tint.

Wow, so mine isn't unique? Others see the same dark center? Anyone else? Is this something goofy with the "new dual curve reflector"?

I agree on the tint - both the ones I've handled were more purple than any of my other lights, R5s included. (BTW, I miss-typed before - the first one did have an R5, not Q5.)

Overall, the RRT-0 R5 has been a big disappointment, especially for the cost. Too bad, I really like it aesthetically and wanted the less throw/more flood from the R5 (I have too many throwers already).

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, if you guys want to rid yourselves of nasty purple RRT-0s (XP-G) give me a shout, I'm always looking for another...

:naughty:

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
Now that I look closer at the hotspot on a white wall I see the dark ring in the center(donut hole). The tint on mine is cool blue and nice. The dark ring kinda sucks with this kind of price tag. I bought this for outdoors camping and hunting and when using it outdoors it all disappears. Another reason for the purchase is AA or cr123 and that rocks. I hope the problems all get fixed on the ones having troubles.

Latest posts