LUMMI RAW Ti matt finish

Danielsan

Enlightened
hello,

im interested in a RAW Ti with a matt finish, not shiny because i think the matt finsih is more scretch and finger print resistant. Im not sure if there is a matt version of the Raw Ti, i saw pics on the website with a nice fine grain and in this forum i saw a picture of one with a more roughly grain?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can have a Raw Ti beadblasted, that looks completely matt...

I currently only have a Wee Ti beadblasted, that one is very nice, completely matt and of a light grey color. You need'nt care about fingerprints on that finish for sure.

I'm waiting for a normal Raw Ti (for my wife) and a bead blasted Raw Ti and I wonder myself if it'll look the same as the Wee or not. I like surprises and won't change my order anymore, but It would be nice to have a picture with both finishes!

:welcome:

Danielsan

Enlightened
i think i saw the picture from yours and it looks a bit different then the matt ones on the lumme site, the grain is kind of bigger and on your picture its not evenly blasted at the top or maybe its just the picture. maybe i order the shiny one but i hate swirl marks and that kind of stuff, i will buy a small leather bag for it anyway, because the keys in my pocket will definately scratch it.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean the picture below I guess...

My camera sucks, it's a MJU 725SW which I bought to have a rugged camera for geocaching. While I have a complete non-digital Canon EOS equipment lying around, I quit photography with the digital age and only make snapshots anymore, which I try to enhance with iPhoto a little bit.

The finish is even, at least for my eyes. You are right though that it looks different like on Lummi's site, in fact I saw two different Wee there, one a bit like mine and a darker one. I like the finish on mine, light silver, the grain is well visible, but it should be on a bead blasted.

You also can take the "normal" finish, if you think it's too much polished, just scotchbrite it, very fine steelwhool does the job also (Caution not to scratch the lens).

When I receive my two Raws, I'll take a picture, but the run will only be done this week or next week as I was informed, so it could take another few weeks until I receive them. I hope Rob will supply us some pictures though! :popcorn:

2wn032x.jpg

Danielsan

Enlightened
yes, thats the picture. The surface at the front looks a bit rough and uneven to me and those edges look like it has some small dents like a "swiss cheese". But anyway i would order a raw Ti without the lumination stripes but it depends on how long it takes :)

fyrstormer

Banned
The normal finish consists of fine machining parallel lines. It's shiny, but not mirror-polished. The bead-blasted finish looks the way the front of Henk Lu's Wee looks, slightly rough and not shiny. The advantage of the normal finish is you can re-finish it yourself using a Scotch-Brite pad, optionally followed by polish. You can't re-finish bead-blasting on your own.

If you don't like swirl marks, you should consider getting a Raw SS instead, because stainless steel will self-polish as it rubs against things in your pocket, whereas titanium just accumulates tiny scuff marks.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I just had a look at the light, ni swiss cheese finish to be seen.

It is a little rough, that's true, it's bead blasted after all, that finish isn't smooth, but everything is even.

What do you mean by "lumination stripes"? The inscription? I don't know if that's possible...

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, i wanted ti because its not so soft. I have oakley ti frame and it still looks like new. Its also matt ti.
Stainless steel is not soft. I've had a stainless steel Peak Eiger in my pocket for months, rubbing against several other steel and titanium parts, and it looks as good as the day I bought it, though the machining lines are less visible now.

Unless your titanium frames were coated with something to reduce reflections, they were most likely bead-blasted. If you go to www.lummi.co.uk, you can see more pictures of bead-blasted lights that might help you decide what you want to do.

This is a particularly good comparison between the two finishes: http://www.lummi.co.uk/Gallerys.html#29

Last edited: