Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 47's Preon Revo

Default 47's Preon Revo

Just got the email from 47's, and I have to say I don't really get it. It's more expensive than the mini's, and yet it has an older emitter and all those extra modes that they so nicely have been leaving out of most keychain lights recently.

What Am I missing here? The only benefit I can see here is if you really want more throw out of your keychain light, but I feel like for most people they do not need a ton of throw from their keychain edc.

Default Re: 47's Preon Revo

The biggest feature of this light is the regulation which permits to get a very low level, incredible runtime and no use of annoying PWM.

I think the stainless one looks great but I'm afraid it will be heavy, like the SS Fenix LD01.
    sig line removed to help search function...

Ah so that is a plus. I still think for me an xp-g wouldve been more attractive. Also I am quite fond of the quark mini interface I think they should've stuck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by sol-leks View Post
    .. Also I am quite fond of the quark mini interface I think they should've stuck with that.
    I thought the UI is pretty much the same, only one of the beacon modes is missing?

Flashaholic*

Also I am quite fond of the quark mini interface I think they should've stuck with that.
    Then you are in luck ! From the description on the website, it sounds exactly like the MiNi interface: Low-Med-High and you only see the disco modes if you cycle quickly through twice.

Agree with you - really get on well with the MiNi interface. Since I'm very happy with my MiNi CR2, I'm not sure if the ReVO is for me though.

ohhhh you're right, guess I just didn't read the whole email whoops. Well that's good to hear.

I would have had an interest if it had an XP-G. In a small light, I'm not looking for throw and a small hotspot, I'm looking for more of a balanced beam with good spill. I too will stick to my CR2 mini.

so,
    the advantage is longer runtimes vs a reg preon.
    and knurling(if that's important to you)

i dunno. i would wait for a review. didn't they screw up the mini aa runtime specs?

also,
    i'm curious on the beamshots verses a xpg. i really like the floodier characteristics of the xpg on an aaa light. i find that an aaa format generally gets used as a close range where a broad beam is more suited. at least that's my experience.

on price,
    i just remember aaa format as being totally ignored not too long ago. or many long ago in cpf years
    anywho, it was the maratac who reignited the interest with a fenix l0d ish light for half the price.
    now, i feel like the prices are creeping up again to where it might be trending to cooling off in interest. maybe i'm totally wrong.

I'm very happy with my preon on my keys, the only thing i like about the new ReVo is the lanyard hole

I have to say the cleaver high mode is something else to be noted, it works in a similar way to the Icon Rogue lights where the output dims over time to increase run time.

Flashaholic*

7777's, thank you for the beefy tail ring.

The SS light looks nice & should hold up to some wear and tear.

-I wonder what the threads look like?

-Also wonder what the reflector design is...possible to get a wallish-of-light out from an XP-E?

Flashaholic

My thoughts on why it exists, as I mentioned in the thread over on the marketplace:

I've seen comments about some people wanting a more utilitarian knurled AAA light than the Preon line. That combined with the
    • better runtimes
    • simpler design (Quark MiNi style instead of Preon lego style -- at least going off pictures as I assume the tailcap references in the text are copy/paste)
    • smaller and lighter (aluminum) footprint than the Preon I
    • better keychain attachment point
    • and the stainless steel option
    ...and there's a set of people who would like this light better than the other models so far. The tint on the R2s should be more mature than the current R5 runs as well, for those discerning folk.

As for the LED package,
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens
    Why the XP-E and not the XP-G? Mainly because of the small reflector which required a smaller single point source.
    I'm also looking forward to a thorough review, both for the beam pattern and to verify the output is now flat regulation. There's also the unanswered question of whether it can tailstand, as the loop on the end seems fairly wide.

Quote Originally Posted by f22shift View Post
    now, i feel like the prices are creeping up again to where it might be trending to cooling off in interest. maybe i'm totally wrong.
    The iTP/Maratac are still the affordabe ones.

I am very happy with my fleet of iTP A3 EOS lights.

When I got the e-mail this morning first thing I thought was "Nice looking light, but expensive for a single AAA light. And it's got Disco modes ".

The e-mail does not indicate that the disco modes are accessed through a special sequence, so the fact that they are hidden is OK. Still too pricy for me.

Flashaholic

I'd like to see 4sevens make a replacement tailcap for the preon that looks rather like the revo tailcap, or like an arc/infinity tailcap (lug). I'm fairly happy with the preon but hate the keyring attachment. Also the anno has not held up well...it's been on my keyring about 6 months and is all beat up. My arc looks better and it spent 6 years on keyring duty...

I might have to consider another arc, to be honest. I replaced it with the preon because the lug was wearing out.
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sol-leks View Post
    Just got the email from 47's, and I have to say I don't really get it. It's more expensive than the mini's, and yet it has an older emitter and all those extra modes that they so nicely have been leaving out of most keychain lights recently.

What Am I missing here? The only benefit I can see here is if you really want more throw out of your keychain light, but I feel like for most people they do not need a ton of throw from their keychain edc.
    Current controlled levels, which don't make up for the price.

The E01 is popular because its bomb proof, simple, small, cheap and efficient. This maybe small, but its not as simple and therefore not as bomb proof. Its definitely not cheap. The E01 is a cool 12-15 bucks which is cheap and simple enough to gift or for intermittent use on a keychain.

The size difference between the AAA and AA is marginal at best but the power difference is significant, especially for a multi-mode. For about a few dollars more you can get a full sized Quark thats not much bigger and much much more efficient. Because the battery is small and doesn't hold much power, why bother with CC levels? XPG is more and more a selling point and with a keychain light does any really need 30m? Flood is much much more useful upclose and even a reflectorless XPG would be a great improvement. How many people sung the praises of the RGB because it was floody?

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this light.
    >>Opinions expressed by red02 do not necessarily express the opinions of the company or its subsidiaries. Facts stated by red02 are not necessarily facts.<<

Well, it's sort of "upgrade" to Preon 1:
    + Current regulation (which afaik costs more)
    + Knurled body
    + Slimmer
    + Shorter
    + Lighter

+/- No tailstanding, but better keyring attachment
    +/- XP-E instead of XP-G: less green and more lux, but less lumens

- No clip option if you're into that sort of thing

And in case you compare it to Q MiNis, keep in mind they have not only PWM instead of current regulation, but also lack AR coated glass (both were left out to keep the price down).

Still, I don't see much reason to switch my keyring away from IlluminaTi, as it has the same miniscule size with titanium body to boot. Why did they go with a SS eludes me; sure it's heavier duty than Ti but weights a ton and is even worse from thermal POW...

I have ordered it in SS. It looks good and the new Lanyard hole makes it possible to put it on a neckchain.

I am interested in how big is the hole in mm?
    Rainer
    h8 2 w8

For me the PWM isn't really a big deal its basically the same as the ITP A3 Eos upgrade. just 20 x better runtime on low. for less than half the cost i'll stick with PWM and the lesser runtime. Were all running rechargables anyways right?

It has a good low mode, keychain hole and the XP-E isn't all that bad. The regulation is kinda cool as well. But seems a bit expensive. I wish 4/sevens would just do what was done with the Mini. Take an iTP A3 and do some changes then sell it for a bit more but still reasonable. Yea this has been done before but still I would bite.

Flashaholic*

My present keychain light is Fenix LOD. It works but there are a few issues about it:
    *Low frequence PWM (I don't like PWM at all, though high frequence is better)
    *Mid-low-high (I prefer low-mid-high)
    *the body surface isn't very scratch resistant and the light is now ugly

This new Revo is very attractive for me, especially stainless steel option.
    No PWM, knurled and a with nice design. In my opinion.
    If I get it I will get the stainless steel model!
    Wanted: Surefire G2 in tan. Tip me!

My collection Photos of my lights

I don't see any worthwhile reason to want this $47 ReVO over my ~$22 ITP A3 EOS Upgrade.

Lack of PWM is not worth anywhere near that much, to me, in a small keychain light and the basic outputs (l/m/h) of the ReVO are virtuall identical to the A3, which doesn't have those gimmicky (to me) outputs to clutter up the UI
    My current favorites: Quark 123^2 Tactical, EagleTac T20C2, Thrunite TN11, Fenix P1D, ZebraLight SC51W

I'm thinking it might just stand, with careful balancing, on that tail lug. Looks nice, and the ultra efficiency is a big plus, but I think it won't be replacing my LF2XT. That doesn't mean that I won't get one anyway.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I don't see any worthwhile reason to want this $47 ReVO over my ~$22 ITP A3 EOS Upgrade.

Lack of PWM is not worth anywhere near that much, to me, in a small keychain light and the basic outputs (l/m/h) of the ReVO are virtuall identical to the A3, which doesn't have those gimmicky (to me) outputs to clutter up the UI
    The latest versions of the iTP A3 EOS Upgrade (currently just black and the now discontinued natural colours) now use a L-M-H mode sequence and they have increased the PWM frequency from 200 Hz to 1000 Hz, so that it is no longer noticeable.

Really? That's good news. I may have to get a new one as I hate the M/L/H of the older ones. The Copper Maratac has L/M/H and I love it.

EDIT: Thanks Black Rose for the heads up on the new L/M/H UI of the iTP Black and Natural. I placed an order for some as well as a ReVO SS. Run-time test on low for both will ensue once they arrive. Hope the ReVo will come close to 40-50 hours on a Duraloop at least. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    The latest versions of the iTP A3 EOS Upgrade (currently just black and the now discontinued natural colours) now use a L-M-H mode sequence and they have increased the PWM frequency from 200 Hz to 1000 Hz, so that it is no longer noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    Really? That's good news. I may have to get a new one as I hate the M/L/H of the older ones. The Copper Maratac has L/M/H and I love it.

In most lights I too prefer L/M/H but the A3 is the only light I EDC. (unless I am out on an adverture)

I usually need it during the day and medium is the least amount of light usable. At night around the house I only use lights that come on in the low low mode.

Not really interested in the Revo. I liked the Preon 1 the short time I had it. (except the tint) Gave it to my mother for a birthday present.

Really like the look of this light in stainless. Love love the tail.

But I've already got an E01 for keychain duty and I usually EDC an LD01 SS or a Ti Mini AA as a backup to my Ra clickies. So while I quite like it, I'm not sure it's different enough from my LD01 SS or MiNi to warrant buying one. Now in a couple months if the SS are on the MP for $30 I would probably grab one.

I wish they had put this tail on the Ti MiNi instead of that ridiculous hole so small my smallest split rings barely fit in it and even then only at the opening where it's one wire thick. What were they thinking? That is my singular gripe on that light.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Flashaholic*

Nice looking light. If I'm ever in the market to replace the SS LD01 on my keychain, I think the SS revo would be my pick out of what's out there right now. If they do a neutral white run... and retire the Fenix.

XP-E? I like XP-E. Haven't really been impressed by XP-G beam patterns...

Quote Originally Posted by lightsandknives View Post
    I would have had an interest if it had an XP-G. In a small light, I'm not looking for throw and a small hotspot, I'm looking for more of a balanced beam with good spill. I too will stick to my CR2 mini.

+1 MOre FLood and LEss HOt SPot is where its at when it comes to AAA keychain-style lights.

Quote Originally Posted by f22shift View Post
    so,

also,
    i'm curious on the beamshots verses a xpg. i really like the floodier characteristics of the xpg on an aaa light. i find that an aaa format generally gets used as a close range where a broad beam is more suited. at least that's my experience.

+1. Agreed.

Flashaholic

Nice looking light. I thought the original preon was pretty ugly, they look like a little baseball bats.

So the lumen ratings doesnt say OTF like some of the other 4Sevens lights, do you think that is implied (question mark.... my keyboard is messed up)

I like this light, I'm just hoping for a Ti version

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
    Nice looking light. If I'm ever in the market to replace the SS LD01 on my keychain, I think the SS revo would be my pick out of what's out there right now. If they do a neutral white run... and retire the Fenix.

XP-E? I like XP-E. Haven't really been impressed by XP-G beam patterns...
    +1

I like my R2 Quarks compared to the XPG beamshots when I see them side by side, but I do prefer the floody XPG in smaller, keychain lights like my WW Quark mini CR2 and my IlluminaTi CA1.