http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6M4Kwh4rjc

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 47's Preon Revo

Thanks for the detailed review!
    Wanted: Surefire G2 in tan. Tip me!

My collection Photos of my lights

Quote Originally Posted by ziptrickhead View Post
    I timed it and it seemed to be around 2 mins. After the drop it's hard to tell that the output is less, but if you're looking for it you can see when it drops.
    I did a video review of the ReVO on youtube if anyone is interested:

Thank you!

Can't wait to see my ReVO in SS . Nice reviews by the way.

rayman
    My Lights (current favourite: Maglite 2D XM-L2 mod; current EDC: Olight i1 SS)

Actually according to David, the high mode should step down at 3 mins, not 2. Maybe my head was just getting too hot or something. Probably better off with his time over what I counted although now if I keep the light in cold water for the majority of the time I can't see the drop at either 2 or 3 mins...

EDIT:
    Well scratch that. Popped in a new battery and tried again and it seems like it switched down at around 3 mins 15 secs.
    Last edited by ziptrickhead; 08-29-2010 at 09:35 AM.

So the step-down is temperature-regulated?

rayman
    My Lights (current favourite: Maglite 2D XM-L2 mod; current EDC: Olight i1 SS)

No I don't believe that is the case. I'm sure there's a timer in the circuit for the step down. Either I did something terribly wrong when I was timing how long it took or the head just overheated and some thermal protection kicked in. It seems to be consistent at around 3 min 15 secs for me now. Perhaps someone else who already got their ReVO can chime in on this?

I did a video review of the ReVO on youtube if anyone is interested:

Good video. Thanks!
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Love them silky smooth brass threads.

That stainless version sure does look sweet .

Flashaholic

I just received my SS Revo in the mail this second. A couple of notes that I didn't see covered (but I could have easily missed):

1. My kitchen scale indicates this light to be 23 grams w/o battery versus my Ti Preon I which weighs in at 22 grams and now feels huge by comparison. Clearly this SS light doesn't weigh too much.

2. The mechanism to provide twisty electrical continuity seems entirely different than any other 4Sevens twistys. It appears to make the contact between an insulated washer in the tail and a piece of spring steel that pokes through to touch the negative battery contact. If this is right, then it resolves an issue I have noticed with other 4Sevens twisty lights. I have found that if the other models are even slightly over lubricated then the lube sometimes interferes with a clean establishment of contact between the body tube and the contact ring in the head. Time will tell.

3. At least in my model, neither the beacon or the SOS function fully extinguishes the lamp during the "off" part of the cycle. It merely dims it to the lowest setting.

ziptrickhead - thanks for the great video review. Very informative and nicley done

The beam pattern looks to be really nice. I can't wait to get my SS reVo - on it's way to the UK as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnewman View Post

3. At least in my model, neither the beacon or the SOS function fully extinguishes the lamp during the "off" part of the cycle. It merely dims it to the lowest setting.
    Yup, same here.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Flashaholic

I will order an aluminum Revo up tomorrow.

I am also figuring on buying a Quark AA regular at the same time and another 14500 just for it.

It will pretty much wipe out my spending money for the month, but it will be worth it!

This is the best AAA light I have ever used. I have owned Arc AAA, Maratac AAA, IlluminaTi CA1, Ti Preon and the ITP A3. The quality seems awesome there is zero thread play it is rock solid. The head action is very smooth and the light just feel like it is going to last. Time will tell but I think it is a winner.
    JT

Quote Originally Posted by jtivat View Post
    This is the best AAA light I have ever used. I have owned Arc AAA, Maratac AAA, IlluminaTi CA1, Ti Preon and the ITP A3. The quality seems awesome there is zero thread play it is rock solid. The head action is very smooth and the light just feel like it is going to last. Time will tell but I think it is a winner.
    No problem with one hand operation?

Quote Originally Posted by notsofast View Post
    None at all, a 90 y/o woman could do it with these glassy threads!!

The brass makes em slick, and +1 on no play in the threads, its awesome.
    -Gene Malkoff

Quote Originally Posted by CaNo View Post
    I was going to write something down, but all of the CPFer's above had pretty much taken the words right out of my mouth. This light is not much of a difference really than the Mini's/PreOns which are less expensive than this light. All I really wanted was an "Upgraded" replacement for my Fenix E01 with longer runtime and a more up-to-date LED. The price is very unreasonable since the Preon I does the same job as this light (except for the difference in runtime) and atleast with the PreOn you have the option to use a clicky/twisty.

But going back to my comment on wanting an upgraded E01, Red02 pretty much summed it up completely. I like the E01 because of the Price, runtimeand durability. I do not want another light with the same UI as the previous 2 lights I had purchased from 4Sevens. I just want 1 low mode and that is it. I have so many other wonderful lights in my collection that screams brightness, I really do not need another one... unless it is really that big of a difference. I also would have liked a light that is has a very wide Flood as a keychain light, with an option to table-stand.
    I'm on the other side thinking this looks pretty good. As I mentioned previously/elsewhere I'm hesitant to dive in right now though. A neutral emitter would be nice but I am interested in this as it might make a good replacement for my LD01. It seems to be actually appreciably thinner and the fact that it starts on a (lower than LD01's low) low instead of medium is a plus (and really my only complaint about the LD01). Nothing wrong with my LD01 but that fact alone makes me want this. Not sure if I'll do anything about that or not right now.

I KNOW I won't be doing anything about it for a while but it sounds like Revo could knock the ARC AAA off my key blob.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Flashaholic

None at all, a 90 y/o woman could do it with these glassy threads!!

The brass makes em slick, and +1 on no play in the threads, its awesome.
    I would date that 90 year old woman to get this light... The things we do to satisfy our needs, Ill take one for the team............. Hello free light? Good job on making the maratac and preon aaa look like a walmart purchase.

Also great reviews guys
    "When you do something right, no one remembers. When you do something wrong, no one forgets."
    Edison was right with dc all along...

Quote Originally Posted by notsofast View Post
    Nope not a problem at all.
    JT

Flashaholic

Alright. So I have now had this light for about 20 hours. I have the SS version and must say that I personally regard this as a major milestone for 4 Sevens. I realize that perceived value is highly personal and subjective but I see this light as a significant refinement of the original Preon.

As they say, it's the little things. The machining on the body of this light is exceptional and very detailed. The brass heat sink is effective and makes the threads silky smooth (as others have noted). The switching mechanism is very positive and easy to use with one hand. Finally the circuitry and programming are refined. In addition to no PWM artifacts (due to no PWM), the levels are better spaced than the original Preon and the light show modes (SOS and Beacon) both leave the light in dim for the "off" part of the cycle. This makes Beacon more useful.

I suspect that this little light will be on my keyring for a long time. Everyone who has seen it wants one and so far none of the non-flashaholics in my office have been outraged at the cost (I suspect they see it as more like jewelry than something they would throw in their junk drawer).

Just a sample of one.

One thing I especially like in my recent msot-used keyring sized flashlight (Fenix L0D) is easy operation.

Smooth threads, easy to turn and enough knurling vs. needed torque.

Now, that you have told me this has brass threads, no PWM, more power, better looks, SS as option etc. etc.
    (thanks for pics!!! )

Seems like a time for upgrading a light. This pretty much seems to do everything better + almost all annoying features are gone.

I have Preon also, but twisty is way too tight to use to REALLY like it
    Clicky on the other hand feels noisy at night and needs to be pressed quite straight to function properly.

Just recieved my preon revo in ss yesterday. I really like it I think it will be my new key chain light. I used it for a while last nite for a few different tasks. The only thing I did notice is that the head of the light got pretty warm after about 2-3 minutes of use.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel132 View Post
    The only thing I did notice is that the head of the light got pretty warm after about 2-3 minutes of use.
    I believe that's one reason they made the output drop at roughly 3 minutes and 5 seconds. See the thread below:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=289784

Unenlightened

Love them silky smooth brass threads.

Over time, will the foam doughnut age and get thin? will this cause the light to come on when it shouldn't?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by batmanacw View Post
    I will order an aluminum Revo up tomorrow.

I am also figuring on buying a Quark AA regular at the same time and another 14500 just for it.

It will pretty much wipe out my spending money for the month, but it will be worth it!

I just ordered everything I listed. I also bought priority shipping so I am really hoping it gets here before Saturday so I can take them with me on Monday to California.

Unenlightened

My SS is shipped!!! I just can't wait!

I ordered a SS model early this morning and received a tracking number so hopefully mine shipped today as well.

I think the style of this light looks fantastic. The tail end looks like a work of art. Nice sculptures to the design.

This light reminds me of a AAA Jetbeam-u that I had a while back. The Jetbeam was tiny and looked great but had poor efficiency and some other issues that I believe resulted in it being discontinued. It also had almost no throw (pure flood - which some people like) due to the shallow reflector and SSC emitter.

From the comments and pictures, the Revo is made as small as possible. This is an attractive feature that I am willing to pay a bit more for. I think an aluminum version with a lithium cell would be so light and easy to EDC. But I had to get the SS version for its beauty and durability.

Wow, as a 5 year flashaholic now I think the flashlight has arrived.

The three levels are perfect, running a battery that is found almost anywhere, and the beam is a nice balance of throw and flood with a 60 hour runtime on low.

With the ReVO on my keys, for day in day out EDC purposes, it is almost pointless to carry a pocket light.

Incredible, the SS ReVO is my favorite 7777 light.
    -Gene Malkoff

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I can't speak for anyone else, but given what I was looking for in an EDC, the SS ReVO was tailor-made for me. I work in a corporate casual office environment and absolutely detest holsters, so a single AAA-powered light was as big as I wanted to go (Quark Minis are great, but their added "girth" creates more of an "is that a flashlight in your pocket?" situation than I would like). And as much as I dig a nice, black anodized aluminum finish, seeing as how this light was going to be spending most of its time in close proximity to keys and loose change, I was looking for a naked finish this time around.

In light of the above, you can imagine how excited I was to receive the email from 4Sevens announcing the Preon ReVO. Its perfectly machined case simply exudes quality, and its stainless steel construction imbues it with a satisfying heft that aluminum and titanium lack. As for performance, it's exceptional in every way. The XP-E emitter cuts a decent compromise between throw and flood, the tint is great (still being somewhat new to this hobby, I prefer crisp white to neutral), the mode-switching is ideal (starts in low and the disco settings require an extra step to access), and yes, it can even stand on end despite the intricately machined tail.

My only regret? That I can't buy one for my wife since the SS ones are now sold out. I guess she'll have to be cool with anodized aluminum.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - My only other flashlight of note is a Surefire 6PL, but thanks to a totally-addicted buddy, I've had way too much time fondling a Spy Tri-V... This can become a dangerous hobby, methinks...