Ipaq5555 cool pics added.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told that it is the "VERY" top of the line. What do yountz think?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Just got a new PDA HP ipaq5555....

I would say that there really isn't any such thing as "Top of the Line" with PDAs anymore. It's more like a wide line. FInd one that fits your needs. The 'nicer' ones have the radios built in and such but at the expense of battery life and they're usually bulkier. If you don't use WiFi or Bluetooth might as well go with a cheaper model that won't have to be charged as often and won't weight you down as much.

That said, the 5555 is the highest end model in the HP lineup I believe and it looks like a nice one. I may switch to a HP some day but for now I'll stuck to my Dell Axim, it's heavily subsudized by my school /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened

I have been uing PDAs since the 1980s.

I suggest that you pop on over to one of the sites that specialize in PDAs. My favorite is:

PocketPCPassion

They have a great set of forums for each brand and model. There are lots of other sites besides this one.

Chuck

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

fb1e307c.jpg

fb1e3007.jpg

fb1e30dd.jpg

epro05

Newly Enlightened

That look very nice. Congratulations on your new purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much.

A question for you. Are there very many free wi-fi hotspots around? Is there a website showing where they are?

Or do you pay for wi-fi service through a network operator? I think wi-fi is great, I'm just not very knowlegeable about what you need to do to connect when you're traveling.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

man, i have been looking at that ipaq, i have been thinking about buying one.

How exactly does that fingerprint reader work?

and yeah, how are you connected to the internet with that?

And if you dont mind, what exactly do you use it for?

I just am having a hard time spending 650 bucks, when:
a)I have 2 laptops
b) I could get a tablet pc for just about double

what do you think

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

I couldn't afford a new laptop and an ipaq last december so I bought a 12" 3.5lb laptop. I can carry it inside a 8.5x11 day planner if I want. Still wouldn't mind having an ipaq though. Does my old Commodore SX64 count as a pda? If so I had one years ago too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:
Does my old Commodore SX64 count as a pda? If so I had one years ago too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I *have* one of those things (looks into room at left and points). 5" color CRT screen, 1541 5.25" disk drive, and a reasonably complete keyboard on a little coily cord. All in one neat, compact(!) package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought that HP only made Jornada palm pilots. Looks like they've branched out a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

HP and Compaq merged several years ago.

Empath

Flashaholic

Years? My time passes. It only seems like months.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:
Does my old Commodore SX64 count as a pda? If so I had one years ago too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I *have* one of those things (looks into room at left and points). 5" color CRT screen, 1541 5.25" disk drive, and a reasonably complete keyboard on a little coily cord. All in one neat, compact(!) package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought that HP only made Jornada palm pilots. Looks like they've branched out a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They weren't palm pilots, they were palm size pc's and pocket pc's and handheld pc's. There is a big difference.

My SX64 I took out the storage above the drive and added in anothey 1541 floppy. I had to cut the pcb in half and solder jumper wires between the two parts. I also did the stereo SID mod, so if yours has a couple extra holes in the back of the case it was my old one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:
They weren't palm pilots, they were palm size pc's and pocket pc's and handheld pc's. There is a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I just use the term interchangeably, like "xerox copies" that could come from a Sanyo or Ricoh copying machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif My fault here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:
My SX64 I took out the storage above the drive and added in anothey 1541 floppy. I had to cut the pcb in half and solder jumper wires between the two parts. I also did the stereo SID mod, so if yours has a couple extra holes in the back of the case it was my old one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me go check my SX-64...BRB...nope, no extra holes back there that it wasn't made with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I've heard of both modifications though - although neither one was done to my SX-64. The sound comes from a tinny little built in speaker, and the upper storage bay is empty - unless I want to stuff the little coily keyboard cord in there for transport. If I *really* need two drives for it, I can set the built in one to device #9 and plug in a regular 1541 set to device #8. Presto! Two drives on an SX-64. But if I did that, I'd need two 120VAC outlets instead of just one...not very handheld PC-like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:
I have been uing PDAs since the 1980s.

I suggest that you pop on over to one of the sites that specialize in PDAs. My favorite is:

PocketPCPassion

They have a great set of forums for each brand and model. There are lots of other sites besides this one.

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ] Great site. The Rev. is the best. I ahve been going there for some time. My iPaq 3650 and 3850 still ROCK! I truely would be lost without them. Also I might add that my Apple Newtons still work, run and are STILL ahead of the najority of any HH in the market currently. and the Newton has been discontinued since 1997. It's the one thing that I hate that Steve Jobs has done since he came back home. I understand why he did it, but I hate it just the same