Battery Junction - Olight
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pressure Pot to Test DIVE LIGHTS!

Default Re: Pressure Pot to Test DIVE LIGHTS!

Point is into rapid decompression , of equipment survive that , it will survive everything .Those you have metal light headed or tank it will be good to test equipment also on low temperature.

Otherwise good and caculated design don't need such testing it is just an certificate for good work .

Quote Originally Posted by lucca brassi View Post
    Otherwise good and caculated design don't need such testing it is just an certificate for good work .
    Good points. I am designing the light to be dive-rated from day one, but like you said I do want to actually test it and make 100% sure my paper design hold up under pressure (pun to myself intended!)
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

Quote Originally Posted by warscout2 View Post
    How much did you guys pay to have a shop build a pot? I don't have access to equipment that would be able to handle this.
    I just ordered the unit from Harbor Freight to do testing up to an equivalent of 120-130 feet or so. On special right now for $80 or so - not too bad to get started with pressure testing, before moving to a more formal setup like others have shown in this thread

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

Quote Originally Posted by warscout2 View Post
    How much did you guys pay to have a shop build a pot? I don't have access to equipment that would be able to handle this.
    Most of us built our own, didn't pay a shop. What you need to pay a shop depends heavily on what you want them to do...

What are you looking for? Maybe someone can help you out.

I am designing the light to be dive-rated from day one, but like you said I do want to actually test it and make 100% sure my paper design hold up under pressure (pun to myself intended!)
    That's point IMO ;

- using thin front glass , using combined or laminated glass , wrong glass types or some plastic that might crack ( temperature load, saltwater
    corrosion )
    - moding lights that are designed for ''water resistant use '' (like maglite BTW ) ,
    - sealing too big air gaps for switches ,
    - correcting poor fittings .....using materials that are not designed for compression presure (from outside) - like plastic tubes for plumbing (works in expansion)
    - using wrong type of O-rings on wrong designed type of sealing (dynamic/static)
    - if you use additional sealing of threads with some sealing compound
    - electric fittings , switches (designed for water or not)

all together gives us some uncertainty , which is unknown and rises with all possible failures mentioned above.
    and many things in ''divelight library '' are not put there because of collecting some web pages , but because of warning of possible failure in design.
    I work with enviromental and electrical testing on our products , I have a lot of years some aquariums till I start diving ;-))
    Last edited by lucca brassi; 04-18-2012 at 12:44 AM.

I got the HF pot. Man, it is heavy!!!. Thick walls and (seems) like a good gasket. Max. rating is 80 psi.

I will clean it, set it up, pressurize to 80 psi, and see if it can maintain pressure (no leaks, etc.). I will report back later

Will

Cool, good luck! I think it will work. Pressure it up to 120 and lets see...
    http://tlslights.com/ your source for quality affordable dive lights, Mag-lite conversions and weapon lights. Now a Federal Firearms Dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by 350xfire View Post
    Cool, good luck! I think it will work. Pressure it up to 120 and lets see...
    The container itself can easily do more, but I would likely have to re-inforce and/or replace the stock holding hardware before I go higher then the "rated" 80 PSI

Ah, don;t be scared! Pressure it up and lets see how much it can take.. The Chinese are known for super high quality products built to many times their rated capacity.... lol!
    http://tlslights.com/ your source for quality affordable dive lights, Mag-lite conversions and weapon lights. Now a Federal Firearms Dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by betti154 View Post
    Nice setups.

My solution to the pressure pot problem is somewhat more simple. 6" pressure pipe with garden hose fitting. I fill it with water, drop in my housings and connect to garden hose to it. Dive computer confirms depth equivalent to 50-60m depending on mains pressure. Serious depth rating aside, my theory is if it's going to leak it'll do so in the first few metres.

The ends do bow out a little and the main oring springs a little leak now and then, but it takes only seconds to setup and costs less than $15.

Just an FYI to anyone silly enough to do this. I had the bottom end of this pipe (not shown in image) fail last night during a pressure test. It had a flat end cap glued to the end of the pipe. The bottom cap used to dome out a bit under pressure, so I assume it finally gave out.

The resulting failure was less than dangerous though, a bit of a bang and lots of water in the back yard. I plan to cut the end of the pipe off an glue on another end cap, as for $3.50 and 6 months service it's a good investment in my book.
    Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    http://damiensiviero.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234