NiteNumen
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1114151617181920212223242526272831 ... LastLast

Thread: The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

Default Re: The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CheepSteal View Post
    I've been banging my G2X Pro around and I've noticed that it changes modes quite readily when hit or dropped, is this normal?
    Does anyone know how that actually happens circuit-wise? I wanna know if this is going to develop into a problem into the future.
    From what I gathered, reading the threads, it's a contact issue with the spring (not stiff/long enough). You can try to extend the spring a little (carefully "stretch" it with some needle nose pliers), and that should fix the problem.

Thanks alot for the tip, worked pretty well, still changes modes when i drop it bezel down or tailcap down, but horizontal drops are fixed.
    Cheers!

Don't bother fixing it. Call Surefire for a replacement tail cap. I did and they ship one to me in Singapore within less than two weeks.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Hey, I have never had to deal with SF CS before, do I need any information/warranty card? I bought it second hand from a CPF'er with no packaging or papers.

Glad it worked for ya cheap steel...as far as getting a replacement tail-cap, just give them a call, they'll ask for your addy, and you'll have a new TC in about 3-4 days.

Hey, I have never had to deal with SF CS before, do I need any information/warranty card? I bought it second hand from a CPF'er with no packaging or papers.
    There's no need for receipt or warranty registration. SF is cool about their warranty replacement. I guess one of the reason they don't ask for a receipt is due to the fact that they offer a lifetime warranty? Not sure about that but it's just my guess.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Thanks alot for the help, guys! Appreciate it. Will give them a call soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Don't bother fixing it. Call Surefire for a replacement tail cap. I did and they ship one to me in Singapore within less than two weeks.
    This sounds way too easy and uncomplicated-- That you, and hundreds of others in here have received supposedly-simple instant-replacement service from Surefire.
    Is this true? Did you have to dig out your receipts and proofs-of-purchase and dance around different phone lines before finally being shipped the replacement part? If what you claim is true, then I will contact SF right now about my G2X Pro, which changes modes when it receives a mild thump. Or...will I have to argue with the technician for 15 minutes (they claim that this defect is actually just part of "normal operation" or "not a real issue of concern")?

I ask this question because Oakley (sunglasses) used to have this same no-hassle policy, but they stopped doing that because sending out free replacement parts to customers and pretender-customers was running them out of business. Obviously, now the customer has to dance around a bit with RMA's, receipts, 1st-sending-in-the-broken-part-for-evaluation...etc.

This is true with SF 90% of the time...I always had no-hassle, no questions asked, replacement parts sent. On the more expensive parts, they may ask you to send it in. Or even the smaller parts sometimes, if they think it may be a design flaw, they want to evaluate the faulty part so they can make a permanent fix to the line-up, and not just swap out your part with another deffective part. There excellent CS comes with the high price of the light.

If you by chance get an uncooperative one, call back and talk to a different CS...but all the ones I've dealt with have been real friendly and professional. Yes, EXCELLENT CS still does exist (hard to believe, I know).

When dealing with SureFire . . .

Call them on the phone!

Seriously, don't even waste your time with an email. Many of the complaints about SF customer service can be summed up with the following phrase: "I sent them an email, and no one responded."
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Herosemblem,

Yes it is true. All I did was send them an email and they responded by asking me for a shipping address. That simple. No other questions asked. Gave them my address on a reply email and they said it's being taken care of and that a tail cap would be shipped immediately. In less than two weeks I received the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    When dealing with SureFire . . .

Call them on the phone!

Seriously, don't even waste your time with an email. Many of the complaints about SF customer service can be summed up with the following phrase: "I sent them an email, and no one responded."
    This used to be true some time back but about two years ago their email response has been quite immediate if I should say. Do note that I am in a different time zone so I wasn't expecting to get an instant response, but I realized that the few times I emailed them they usually reply by night, which is about the time SF start work in the US. I could only say I am amazed how much they have changed.

That's small miracle right there!

Now if they'd just release new models on time . . .
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Is this true? Did you have to dig out your receipts and proofs-of-purchase and dance around different phone lines before finally being shipped the replacement part? If what you claim is true, then I will contact SF right now about my G2X Pro, which changes modes when it receives a mild thump.
    When I called SF last year about my faulty 6PX/G2X tailcap, they wanted me to send the whole light for repair. I talked them into sending a replacement tailcap instead. The mode bump issue seems to be common and possibly unrelated to the tailcap switch problems except by the force of the tailcap spring pushing the battery up to the non spring loaded positive contact.

Just a thought, if you used a magnetic spacer like the ones used for charging li-ion cells, would this compensate for the shorter factory spring? Will the magnetic spacer stick to the head contact and make it very hard to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by nixdorf View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new here. Thanks to this forum and I bought my 6PX Pro, lol.

Am looking for rechargeable batteries for my 6PX pro. I see you guys referring to the 17670, does it means this: http://www.lighthound.com/AW-17670-P...ery_p_101.html

Will the 17670 perform better than this: http://www.batteryjunction.com/4parc390reli.html

I see most of the RCR has higher voltage but Tenergy one has 3V, which is same like the SureFire normal battery. Anyone try this Tenergy RCR before? What do you think about that?

Which ons is better? 17670 or the Tenergy one? If you have any better than this, please intro me.

Thanks in advance!
    It was my understanding that the LED "bulb" in these lights could not handle more than 6v, or they could burn up. Is it safe to use 2x 3.7v rechargeable CR123A's?

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    When I called SF last year about my faulty 6PX/G2X tailcap, they wanted me to send the whole light for repair. I talked them into sending a replacement tailcap instead. The mode bump issue seems to be common and possibly unrelated to the tailcap switch problems except by the force of the tailcap spring pushing the battery up to the non spring loaded positive contact.
    So, did the new tailcap fix the problem? When you bump the light, does it still switch to high power?

It was my understanding that the LED "bulb" in these lights could not handle more than 6v, or they could burn up. Is it safe to use 2x 3.7v rechargeable CR123A's?
    They work fine in my experience with several G2X's and 6PX's.

Does anyone know if the bezel removal tool used for Surefire 6P will work for the G2X bezel? My lens has been scratched up to the point where it's causing artifacts in my beam. I want to replace it with a UCL lens. Does anybody also know the exact dimensions for the G2X lens?
    Cheers.

Flashaholic*

If it uses the same bezel/lens combo as the g2zx then a UCL will fit. I just let it sit bezel down in hot water for a couple of minutes and with a mouse pad the bezel came off. Know that the bezel and the lens are one unit. The UCL is thinner than the surefire combo but I had a thin flat oring hanging around that firt perfect.
    my typin is bad and my speeling is evenworse...

Quote Originally Posted by houtex View Post
    If it uses the same bezel/lens combo as the g2zx then a UCL will fit. I just let it sit bezel down in hot water for a couple of minutes and with a mouse pad the bezel came off. Know that the bezel and the lens are one unit. The UCL is thinner than the surefire combo but I had a thin flat oring hanging around that firt perfect.
    Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work for me. I put it in boiling water for five minutes and used an old mouse pad and tennis shoe but it wouldn't budge, I managed to rip up the mousepad though :P I did it a few times again with no luck, the only thing I can think of using the bezel removal tool for the 6P (if it fits).

I tried bezel removal again today using a Solarforce steel plate and after a hard boiling and a heck of a lot of wrenching, it worked! It appears that the bezel and lens are a single unit as houtex mentioned. The Solarforce lens fit but the bezel would not due to different threads. So I will be ordering a 6P aftermarket bezel and UCL lens to try to retrofit it.
    On a seperate note, Surefire CS is awesome! I received the new tailcap in the mail today and it seems to be a bit different to the one I had, it is shorter with a stubbier clicky (feels more solid) and the spring is definately stronger. I still had to carefully stretch it to stop the mode shifting though.

Edit: I will add pictures up when I receive all parts and finish. I also just tried again and the UCL has a smaller diameter than the G2X bezel, so an O ring will be needed to pad it around the edges to stop it moving inside the bezel.
    Last edited by CheepSteal; 06-16-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Flashaholic*

Interesting. The G2X Pro that I sold last year had a lens that was separate from the retaining ring. A UCL for a Solarforce, which is smaller in diameter than a UCL for a SureFire, fit just fine and is a bit thinner than the original Lexan lens so I had to screw down the retaining ring with some force.

I emailed Surefire about how to replace a scratched lexan lens and they told me it is not user serviceable and would need to be sent in. Glass lens upgrade is also not availble. Seems kinda like a pain in the butt to use such an easily scratchable lens and have everyone RMA their entire light instead of making it user serviceable. I guess this is to make it more weatherproof (SF CS also mentioned light would need to be checked for weatherproofness) and robust.

I emailed Surefire about how to replace a scratched lexan lens and they told me it is not user serviceable and would need to be sent in. Glass lens upgrade is also not availble. Seems kinda like a pain in the butt to use such an easily scratchable lens and have everyone RMA their entire light instead of making it user serviceable. I guess this is to make it more weatherproof (SF CS also mentioned light would need to be checked for weatherproofness) and robust.
    It is user-serviceable. However, it depends on the level of technical skill of the user (there are users out there who will fudge up everything) and from a warranty standpoint it makes sense to ask the user to send in the light to ensure that the high standards are met when the light is reassembled.

You probably shouldn't really worry too much about scratched lenses. Unless the lens gets to the point where it is so scratched it seriously diminishes the light output it's really not worth fussing or even bothering about. Consider it simply a cosmetic blemish on one of the finest illumination tools being made today.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    It is user-serviceable. However, it depends on the level of technical skill of the user (there are users out there who will fudge up everything) and from a warranty standpoint it makes sense to ask the user to send in the light to ensure that the high standards are met when the light is reassembled.

You probably shouldn't really worry too much about scratched lenses. Unless the lens gets to the point where it is so scratched it seriously diminishes the light output it's really not worth fussing or even bothering about. Consider it simply a cosmetic blemish on one of the finest illumination tools being made today.
    Well put, made me feel better about my scratched lens

Flashaholic*

[....]not user serviceable[....]
    The reason why I haven't bought one of their 6PX/G2X lights and honestly do not intend to do so (except maybe the Z2X because it just looks great). I would just hate to send a light halfway across the globe just to change a lens (in case it is shattered). But then again - flashlights are just a hobby item for me, nothing that I really need in my "real" everyday life.

And the user serviceability of the old Surefire lights is the reason why I became a Surefire fanboy.... lol

Cheers
    Thorsten

Quote Originally Posted by Xacto View Post
    The reason why I haven't bought one of their 6PX/G2X lights and honestly do not intend to do so (except maybe the Z2X because it just looks great). I would just hate to send a light halfway across the globe just to change a lens (in case it is shattered). But then again - flashlights are just a hobby item for me, nothing that I really need in my "real" everyday life.

And the user serviceability of the old Surefire lights is the reason why I became a Surefire fanboy.... lol

Cheers
    Thorsten
    I also hate to send entire lights overseas (1 to 2 week delivery one way + repair time + 1 to 2 week return shipping). It just takes wayyyyyyyyy too long when you live overseas, I'm much too impatient.

Flashaholic*

^^^ wow Houtex, first one I have seen 'in the wild'. What bezel?
    amateurs practice ‘till they can get it right – professionals practice ‘till they can’t get it wrong

Flashaholic*

It's the one made by XENO. Bezel fits perfect.

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1114151617181920212223242526272831 ... LastLast