HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

Default Re: The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

Why did it take so long for surefire to produce an affordable, bright, LED based light?

And honestly, I'm disappointed with what seems to the be the switching method with the two mode lights. press lightly to switch modes, and click to lock it.

This is the kind of light a lot of people will want for its simplicity and bright out put (it better be >200),it seems like surefire finally understood that there is this target audience that they have been missing out on.

Crenshaw

I don't see how the UI is different to the E1B, E2DL etc - dual output clickie.

If you need to unscrew the retaining ring in order to use diffusuers and such, the lens better be glued in to protect the reflector. I for sure appreciate that.

Nice entry level lights and glove box lights. The look ... one can argue though.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    The look ... one can argue though.

bernie
    Yeah I'm highly turned off by it. If it looked like the old school 6P it would be different.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by red02 View Post
    The desire for something bigger and better won't become obsolete either, therein lies the problem.
    +1 here. Also for these lights, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Fiend got into light re-hab. Getting out for now

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Schuey2002 View Post
    ^^

I think it'll be awhile before a 200 lumen flashlight is completely and utterly obsolete....
    You're correct but that isn't what I meant. If I have an older light that has a run time of, say, 1.5 hours at a given output and the latest and greatest light will run for 3 hours at the same (or higher) output, I consider the older light technologically obsolete. The older light isn't worthless but it isn't up to current standards either. With the long lifespan of LED's, I don't know that any of my lights will reach end of life on the LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    If you need to unscrew the retaining ring in order to use diffusuers and such, the lens better be glued in to protect the reflector. I for sure appreciate that.

Nice entry level lights and glove box lights. The look ... one can argue though.

bernie
    I don't mind the overall look of these lights. It's just the execution of the anti-roll feature on the bezels (whatever you call it), that I don't care for.

To me, it's not one of PK's better looking designs. *smirk* But that's just my opinion.

I do agree that they will make nice, affordable around-the-house lights..

Flashaholic*

I think they look lame. Like they stole their styling from a $6 Target/Walmart closeout Brinkmann Maxfire LX from a few years back.

I'm just not a fan of any of the new Surefire lights that lack any type of knurling.

Last edited by ampdude; 08-29-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    ampdude

To me, it's not one of PK's better looking designs. *smirk* But that's just my opinion.
    Has PK claimed responsibility for the design of these new lights?
    He's concentrating on ICON.

^^^

No, he hasn't. But doesn't he design all of their lights??

Maybe not at the current time...

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

. . . doesn't he design all of their lights??
    Not 100% sure on this, but I believe PK didn't design the original G2 model.

As for these new lights . . . Yeah, I'm thinking Stratum sales are going to plummet.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 08-29-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typo.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic

Woot cheap surefire, since it's cheap that hopefully means that we will see a review within 2 weeks after official release!

Hopefully the 2 stage clicky can be retrofitted to a current 6PL.

Quote Originally Posted by jtblue View Post
    Woot cheap surefire, since it's cheap that hopefully means that we will see a review within 2 weeks after official release.
    I'm not sure if cheap is the right term. $55 for the least expensive version isn't really what you'd call "cheap."
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I'm not sure if cheap is the right term. $55 for the least expensive version isn't really what you'd call "cheap."
    lol, then we'll have to agree to disagree, if these flashlights are of surefire quality/durability at only the fraction of the prices we are used to seeing from surefire then I see it as being cheap especially when you compare it to the pricing of other lights from other manufacturers commonly discussed on this forum among fellow CPFers.

Quality and peace of mind from only $55.00 mmmm sounds good to me.

Too bad i hate the design of the heads on these lights so I probably won't buy one.

I updated thread with a few more pictures I found
    Forensic Firearm Examiner - BCI&I
    Surefire Beast II Owner
    DEFT-HO Owner

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mrwhite1 View Post
    I updated thread with a few more pictures I found
    Thanks, but the look alone gives me an itchy feeling to stock up on a few 6P bodies, just to be on the safe side in the coming 70 - 90 years (I am 34 and I intend to still live a looong time).

Cheers
    Thorsten Wieking

It's hard not to be a little skeptical about how they are marketing the light at 1/3 the price of most comparable lights they offer. Sure it's possible they could have aquired some new machinary to help reduce costs, but I find it highly unlikely you could cut it by that much. Granted I usually compare lights to guns. The more machining that goes into them the more they cost. Machining aluminum can take a lot of time depending on the amount of work required.
    It's also hard to think the change in head design would allow for such a large drop in price as well. If this were any other manufacturer one might not be so paranoid, but Surefire is not known for making anything 'cheap' - this greatly due to the high quality of the light. I guess we will have to wait until we have the actual lights to examine and attempt to diagnose the price reduction - hopefully it's not from a reduction of this quality.
    Forensic Firearm Examiner - BCI&I
    Surefire Beast II Owner
    DEFT-HO Owner

Quote Originally Posted by flashfiend View Post
    Not with people who believe the following to be true continuing to grow in number

Sorry flashlightboy, not meant to pick on you but I believe those who see incans as fading dinosaurs are what is pushing the loss of modularity.

LED's have a long life and don't need regular replacement like incans so who needs the light emitters to be modular and replaceable? This I believe is the type of thinking that may be entering Surefire design brains.
    My opinions don't drive the technology and long before I posted (years perhaps) ALL manufacturers were developing LEDs. I can't remember the last time someone introduced a new incandescent bulb, much less one that was cutting edge or pushed some envelope.

While I won't say the incandescent lamp assemblies have peaked, people are moving away from them and there likely won't be a return stampede to them. Like 45's and 8 track tapes, the industry is venturing in another direction.
    "Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, 'Thank God I'm alive.' But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again." Sen. Babes Boxer

It wouldn't surprise me if these were made in China.

After owning a couple of Icon products, I could see where Surefire might ship these new lights overseas to be produced. The factory over their is making some nice stuff. Is it the same quality as the lights that they manufacture down in California? Heck no! But, it's still not your typical, crappy Chinese-made junk that you see at places like Wallyville or Kmart.

And no, I am not saying for a fact that this is what they have done. I have no idea. Just that I wouldn't be surprised if they did...

It wouldn't surprise me if these were made in China.

After owning a couple of Icon products, I could see where Surefire might ship these new lights overseas to be produced. The factory over their is making some nice stuff. Is it the same quality as the lights that they manufacture down in California? Heck no! But, it's still not your typical, crappy Chinese-made junk that you see at places like Wallyville or Kmart.

And no, I am not saying for a fact that this is what they have done. I have no idea. Just that I wouldn't be surprised if they did...
    Let's wait until a handful of CPFers get these new models in their hands before we draw any conclusions about country of origin. As far as we know, these new models are still American based.

SureFire = American
    SureFire have invested considerably to establish the finest production facilities in the world, in the USA. These new models are evidence that they can take advantage of this long term capability to continue 'turning' their own and ensure that they improve accessibility whilst remaining trute to their values.
    I've no doubt when they assure me of their ongoing commitment to being USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    SureFire = American
    Apart from the new models being made in England, of course?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Currently looking for: SureFire E1W - PM with offers

Super Moderator

You mean the Red, White & Blue ones?
    Resistance is futile...

Sigh Re: The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

Quite.

New SF not TIR Lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    SureFire = American
    SureFire have invested considerably to establish the finest production facilities in the world, in the USA. These new models are evidence that they can take advantage of this long term capability to continue 'turning' their own and ensure that they improve accessibility whilst remaining trute to their values.
    I've no doubt when they assure me of their ongoing commitment to being USA.

So does the above mean that Surefire is NOT outsourcing the production of these lights (the 6PX/G2X) to another country?

The straight forward answer would be:

1. That is correct. SF is manufacturing these lights in a US production facility

-or-

2. That is incorrect. SF is manufacturing these lights outside of the country in something other than a US production facility.

Thanks for the straight forward, no beating around the bush answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tigervn View Post
    New SF not TIR Lens ?
    I hope not.

Plenty of SureFire models out their already that project a tiny ball of light out to a distance with a pathetically, almost microscopic amount of spill. I'm amazed the E1B and E2DL are as popular as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    So does the above mean that Surefire is NOT outsourcing the production of these lights (the 6PX/G2X) to another country?
    If folks really want the answer for this, how about just calling SureFire? You know, talking to people actually at SF?

Actually, it's all a semantics a game in an academic sense.

What does "manufacture" mean? It all depends on how you define it.

Take for instance olive oil. When you go to the store you see bottles that have the words "Imported from Italy" on them which makes you think it's a pure Italian product. Not true. It's just means it came from Italy but that the olives could have been grown and processed elsewhere which isn't uncommon.

To be a true Italian olive oil the label must say "Product of Italy" which means the olives are from there and oil was produced and bottled there as well.

I mean right now SureFire is not an all American company if you use it to mean that all their underlying components are American made. Aren't the incandescent lamp assemblies from Mexico, IIRC? The LEDs are imported from an overseas manufacturer, aren't they?

It might be better to say that SF lights are assembled in the USA from substantially USA manufactured parts.

Just saying...
    "Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, 'Thank God I'm alive.' But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again." Sen. Babes Boxer

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast