PK Design Lab
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: razor blade or electric shaver?

Default Re: razor blade or electric shaver?

thanks for all the feedback! I for one, dont care for a close shave, i wouldnt really shave if it werent for work. LOL. and i kind of like the 5 o'clock shadow look
    ive been using razor blades, and usually shave after a hot shower, no cream, just water. and, lately at times, i get a bunch of razor bumps.
    i will definitely check out the norelco, braun, and wahl electric shavers.

Wash your face, leave the soap on your beard area and then shave, that'll get rid of most of the bumps.

I really used to hate shaving until I got a Norelco shaver for Christmas, now I don't mind it at all. It shaves just about as close as a blade and I can do it while sitting at my computer or reading a book. I can also trim my sideburns and shave the back of my neck with no problem. Have to say it's a shaver for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    I for one, dont care for a close shave, i wouldnt really shave if it werent for work. LOL.
    The important point is that with something like m*chIII or electric shaver, people usually consider shaving like something they have to do, with wet shaving it is something they like to do, no matter how many times per week. The close shave is a bonus.

Why do you think there is so much wet shaving forums ?
    Yes, It could be as addictive as...well, you probably already know what.

The good point is that with an electric shaver, it is so off-putting that you will stay away from another addiction.
    Last edited by Tally-ho; 08-29-2010 at 10:47 AM.

I've used the latest greatest from Gillette pretty much all my life, but the discussions here have piqued my interest in a quality DE. Nothing would make my wife happier than me switching away from the pricey Fusion cartridges. Looks like even the highest rated DE blades are way cheaper.

Is shaving with a DE really that different from a Fusion? I can believe that learning to shave with a straight razor would involve a learning curve, but what's the challenge with a DE?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyS View Post
    Is shaving with a DE really that different from a Fusion
    Not that much if you still continue using canned foam. As Kaptain_zero already said, and i agree with him, it is far better to use a shaving soap and badger.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyS View Post
    I can believe that learning to shave with a straight razor would involve a learning curve, but what's the challenge with a DE?
    A DE is far more intuitive than a straight razor. In a few shaves you will find the appropriate angle.
    Take a look at the forums mentionned in the 1st page. You will find tones of advices and helpfull people.
    One of my prefered DE is a Gillette adjustable safety razor (with Feather blades), it could be find "used" or "mint" quite easily on ebay as it is discontinued.
    Last edited by Tally-ho; 08-29-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightcacher View Post
    ....and I can do it while sitting at my computer...
    That´s what I do every morning

I like the results of a razor blader better but at 6 in the morning it would lead to a bloodbath if I´d use a blade. I´m just too tired and groogy. During weekend or vacation, when I don´t necessarily have to shave after I got out of bed, I use a razor blade. Btw., I really hate shaving, no matter how, but going unshaved is somwthing I hate even more

Eric

A good source of shaving info is mantic59 on YouTube.

I use a 1958 Gillette 1-9 Adjustable every day and I get an awesome shave each time. Be sure to experiment with as wide a variety of blades as possible.

With any luck, your favourites will be locally available or me, I got 1,000 Derby blades at 12c each delivered to my door. I use one per week.

Yes, a brush and shaving soap (or cream) lather is the way to go for the best shave. And it doesn't clog up the razor.

Oh and Merkur makes very nice DE razors if you are looking for a new one.

I use a electric shaver because its faster and better value.

Flashaholic

I have tried both Currently using an old Schick 2-blade system and trying to eek out their lifespans. Eventually they will stop making those and I will have to find something else. Given the high costs of many of the current multi-blade units I may go electric again. Good topic.

Both. I use the Mach3 for the sides/straight-aways and switch to the electric for rounded parts like chin and under nose. The razor gets through longer hair easily, while with the straight foil, even with the long hair trimmer, takes a few passes. I have found that while the three disc system is good for longer hairs, it doesn't get as close for me as the straight foil.

I used to use blades and an electric, but now just use a blade (Gillette Fusion).

I was getting weird marks on my face which I later discovered was being caused by the electric razor.

Since going solely with blades, the problem has gone away.

There's no way to know for sure without trying different shaving methods yourself.

I started out with a cartridge blade, but over time found that I was getting too many nicks and ingrown hairs. I then switched to a Norelco rotary shaver. This worked well for a few years, but I think that my beard got coarser over time, and eventually the Norelco was too weak even with new blades. I now use a Braun Activator foil shaver, which isn't perfect but still works better for me than anything else that I tried.

For me, I've always had to make multiple passes with whatever shaving method I use, which increases the chances of nicks and irritation. The foil shaver has been by far the least irritating to me.
    Andrew

I recently took up straight razor shaving. There's definitely a learning curve, but it's way better than my Norelco electric. I'm thinking of picking up a double edge safety razor for travel or when I'm short on time. Right now I'm using Proraso shaving cream (comes in a tube) with a badger brush.

Flashaholic

I currently use one of the gillette triple blade razor but I will get a few bumps if I shave two days in a row, it almost feels like its ripping out the hairs when I shave. I have also used electric razors and I am not that impressed.

I havent even thought about a straight razor until this thread. So now I would like to try one of those, Can somebody tell me a good brand to get or post a couple links?

Thanks,
    Brian

Flashaholic

Braun shaver with eneloops charged with solar power! Over time=an inexpensive cost per shave.

I used blades forever until this year, when I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Love it! It shaves as close as my blade and is self-cleaning. A full shave takes about 3 mins.
    --------------------
    He is the light!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brian321 View Post
    I havent even thought about a straight razor until this thread. So now I would like to try one of those, Can somebody tell me a good brand to get or post a couple links?
    Straight razor shaving is great once you learned how to use it properly but most beginners need to look for some advices to avoid some "traps".
    A lot of straight razors are not well prepared when they come right out of the factory. It is better to buy one from a shop that proposes "sharpening/honing service". A blade which cuts like hell is not necessarily a blade which shaves smoothly.
    There is a few things more to know so the best thing is to ask for advices to forums listed in kaptain_zero's message (#23).

Here is some manufacturers:

Dovo:
    http://www.dovo.com/rasur.html

Thiers Issard:
    http://www.1barber.be/fr/thiers-issard.html
    http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html
    http://www.classicshaving.com/Straight_Razors.html

Wacker:
    http://www.wacker-rasiermesser.de/

Boker:
    http://www.boker.de/rasiermesser.html

Zwilling J.A. Henckels:
    http://www.zwilling.com/en-US/Company--company_profile

This guy rocks !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U
    (it takes months to learn how to use it like this).
    Last edited by Tally-ho; 09-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.

If anyone is looking for damascus steel straight razors, I will caution against them unless you know that the steel is of premium quality. Not all damacus steels are equal, regardless of steel, and some damascus sharpens up horribly at the intersecting folds in the steel at the edge.

Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by lostinwv View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had NO idea a forum like that existed! I've been using cartridge blades (and the occasional electric) all my life and I love the idea of trying out the old skool way of shaving. I've blown most of my afternoon crusing that forum for info and eBay for deals on DE's (learning the lingo already).
    -Scott
    OKC, OK

Flashaholic*

Haven't shaved in 30 years, except an arm when sharpening a knife. And surely do not miss it...
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

Adjustable Gillette safety razor with Merkur blades here.

Better shave, no razor burn, no ingrown hairs and i don't have to bang the latest bloody 12 bladed vibrating overpriced sportstar sponsored monstrosity constantly to knock the hair out because they didn't leave enough room for the hair to clear between the blades (unless you are 12 years old shaving off the shadow of what might become a cheesy moustache).

When the kids are old enough that I can safely leave a straight edge in the bathroom, I will be buying one.

IMHO
    More blades = Marketing Hype + Laziness

I haven't found an electric that will shave all my hair. They seem to like to catch a little bit, but move most of it to the side, instead of cutting it. With Norelcos, which seem to work the best, the lift-and-cut action hurts like Hell, as well, causing a different kind of irritation compared to my non-electric shaving, yet still laves about half untouched, no matter how many passes I make. Other kinds cut more, but don't cut as close, or very evenly, and still leave whole patches almost untouched.

There also isn't any particular difference in the effectiveness of various multiblade razors. If I really must shave close, I'll use unscented Dr. Bronners, and a 2-blade disposable. If I shave like that for a few days, it gets bad. Thick stubble, bumps, ingrown hairs, etc.. Store-bought shaving creams and gels just end up irritating my skin, or having a fragrance or oil I'm allergic to.

I figure that, one of days, I'll have to take the time to learn to use the old fashion kind.

I'm not going to tell you any electric will beat the end result you'd get with blades . . . but for me, I've always gone electric. I like the speed and simplicity.

As for getting close, nobody seems to notice or care. Now if I had to impress a date, that would be another story!

One time I went a few days without shaving to go along with a Halloween costume for a party . . . 3 days with NO shaving and not even ONE person seemed to notice! I'll live with the compromise cut you get from electric!

Displacing night on a daily basis.

I'll admit to wanting to look good for the ladies.

(Another reason why I prefer blades.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Thumbs up Re: razor blade or electric shaver?

I use this:

Rooney brush, Gillette slim adjustable safety razor (1967 or a Gold plated one from 1971) or straight (when using more than 15 minutes is ok).

Some people don't get a hang of using a safety razor or straight, but just a good brush and soap is a huge step up from canned gel/foam.

Sverre

Flashaholic*

I use a Phillips arcitec ever since my triple bypass. I had dressings that needed to be changed daily and got really tired of pulling what chest hair I had off with the adhesive tape. The nurse would not use my gillette mach 3 due to concerns of nicking me near the surgical site so I bought the norelco arcitec so I could remove all the hair and avoid having it yanked out. I still use the razor to keep my stach trimmed right below my nose and in the corners of my mouth.
    will work for peanuts

I've always used an electric shaver, never even tried a blade and don't want to... I get a mental picture of cuts all over my face. My dad used a Schick electric when I was a kid, so electric is all I had interest in.

Actually I like electric shavers sort of similar to the way I like flashlights. I use mainly a Norelco, a Braun Activator, a Panasonic washable. Norelcos were my mainstay for a couple decades, but about 2 years ago I discovered the Activator; it gives me a really close shave. The Panasonic stays in the shower and I use it with Gillette gel; that wet shave is super close and leaves my face feeling like a baby's behind. I have a few others... two AA-battery powered ones for camping, and a Panasonic ES518 that is the slimmest, nicest looking gold colored shaver I've ever seen... its one good use is getting into the creases around my nose, and it's the best at that, but other than that it doesn't shave very well.

It's only natural, I think, for a flashaholic to be a shaverholic also.
    Last edited by Rexlion; 09-14-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Enlightened

I use a cartridge type blade, though I did have an electric shaver many years ago. It was okay, fast with no clean up required - but once the blades wore out, I had to buy replacements and they weren't cheap. Eventually, the batteries also reached the end of their useful life, and using the electric with a cord attached just did not work for me.
    The best cartridge blade I ever used was made by Wilkinson Sword. I used them only for a year or so, as I couldn't find them anymore.
    Now I use the Gillett Mach 3, or whatever clicks onto my Mach 3 handle, along with a badger brush and Proraso shaving soap in a small tub.

After reading this thread, I recall a DE shaver that my dad had in a nice case. As a kid, I liked to play with it, opening it and closing it, like some sort of covert underground helicopter landing pad He never used it, but I bet he still has it. I may ask him about it
    Last edited by EndOfTheTunnel; 09-12-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: reminiscing

I have an old 4-blade Schick cartridge that is dull, but not nearly as dull as it should be considering the unbelievable number of times I've used it. Normally I use a fresher blade. But the old one gives a remarkably close & smooth shave. No nicks or cuts. And, I can really bare down on my skin without worrying if I'm putting too much pressure on my face or neck.

I have noticed that I need to shave sooner when I use that old cartridge, compared to when I use a sharper razor.

I admit it's odd, but damn if it doesn't work!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast