Klarus
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: razor blade or electric shaver?

Default Re: razor blade or electric shaver?

A straight razor is the preferred way to go for me.

If in a rush, a DE.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye5 View Post
    A straight razor is the preferred way to go for me.
    Is this an Heljestrand MK32 ?
    With bone or ivory handles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye5 View Post
    If in a rush, a DE.
    This one looks like a merkur slant bar ?
    Not to difficult to shave with ?

Yes, C. V. Heljestrand MK 32 (6/8ths) wearing ivory. I also own a MK 31.

I don't find a slant any more difficult than a non-slant DE. The slant bar has been wrongfully demonized in my opinion, more than likely by new to DE shaving tyros that didn't yet know how to use a regular DE or those who think it looks menacing. It does help to have everything else down before using one.

Any new opinions on this topic? I'm about to buy a new electric shaver...maybe. Blades give me a closer shave, but always knick me up. Electric razors seem to leave random hairs all over my face. I've been using a Braun with the foil cutters for the past coupe years. Any shaving creams or gels that you like?
    the harder I work, the luckier I get.

the electric shavers that I've used just didn't shave close enough. The multi-blade razors are pretty hard to cut myself with, and do a decent job. I got a safety razor about a year or so ago, and like it better! I think it shaves a bit closer, but the downside of that is that it's easier to take a little skin off too. Such is life.

Shaving cream? For canned stuff, I like Barbasol. Pretty basic and functional. I've got a badger brush and some shaving soap. Works fine too, but you need to clean the badger brush with a vinegar solution every so often to get the soap residue off.

I don't know what makes one person prefer a razor over an electric shaver. Personally, I've got a fairly heavy beard, and it might be too much for an electric to do a good job on.

Steve K.

Braun electric for me. I don't have much to shave. Easy,clean, quick and close enough shave for me.

Flashaholic

I switched two years ago and after the training of the hair I find the electric works for me as well as a blade. Plus i can sit in my chair and shave. I use a norelco rotary with lithium with 3 yr warranty. Many give up on elec cause they dont train the hair which takes about 3 weeks. Now, a lot depends on what kind of hair one has as to whether they can go electric without to much pain. I get no shaver burn and i have delicate skin. You just have to get used to it. Btw, the biggest problem people have with a lectric is letting the blade get too hot. When it starts getting warm, let it cool down for a minute.

Keith
    Last edited by budynabuick; 02-19-2012 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by budynabuick View Post
    I switched two years ago and after the training of the hair I find the electric works for me as well as a blade. Plus i can sit in my chair and shave. I use a norelco rotary with lithium with 3 yr warranty. Many give up on elec cause they dont train the hair which takes about 3 weeks. Now, a lot depends on what kind of hair one has as to whether they can go electric without to much pain. I get no shaver burn and i have delicate skin. You just have to get used to it. Btw, the biggest problem people have with a lectric is letting the blade get too hot. When it starts getting warm, let it cool down for a minute.

Keith
    Honestly, if my whiskers were people; they'd be so hardcore that they'd be locked up in the newest state of the art maximum security prison. Yup, that tough. No training them. To them, an electric is simply a nice massage. All they respect is a blade coming towards them.

Honestly though, there have been times I've needed to rush out the door, and forgot to shave. Bit of shaving cream spread around using my hands, a few quick swipes with a modern-day multi-bladed razor; and I'm good to go in less than 3 minutes. Not ideal, but gets the job done. Especially on my prison jump-suited stubble.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I only shave wet and normally once a week because i´ve got kind of sensitive skin and therefore HATE dry (electric) shaving, no matter if daily or once a week.

Dry (electric) shaving makes me feel skinned alive and makes me look like a raspberry.

My setup is : Gilette Mach III blades, L´Oreal Men Expert shaving gel and a good aftershave like Bulgari Man, Ungaro III or Terre d´Hermes.

Very satisfied with this.

Cheers

RBR
    Last edited by RBR; 02-19-2012 at 06:48 AM.

I really can't stand shaving, period. For the past couple of decades I've been going at it in a different way. I bought a hair clipper. I remove all of the combs and cut everything on my head but my eyebrows. It's great. It's so short that I can't grab it with my fingers. Many people assume I shave my head but I never have to shave -- ever.

Great thread!

I have a braun electric that I got for Christmas a few years ago from the Wife. I use it sparsely. At first I tried to use is regularly but kept going back to the razors to get a proper shave. The darn thing always left a few hairs, always plucked a few in the process, and always gave me more irritation than a closer shave from a razor. Operating costs were high too as the automatic washer needed a pricey fluid container exchange pretty often. Tried replacing the "cutting" element a couple times at significant cost with very little benefit.

Been using a mug/soap/brush method on a wet face for razor usage for years and definitely prefer it as there is better control over the lather characteristics and the brush is a fast applicator.

Favourite razor is certainly not going to win any awards amongst the shaving enthusiasts, but has proven to be the most cost effective way to get close shaves without nicks and cuts... It's a quad blade job sold under the Kroger "generic" brand name at the grocer. They come in 3 packs normally, sometimes "with a 4th free" packs are there. IIRC they are around $5 for 3 "quad" blades... The Money saving part comes from the amazing robustness of the razors used in them. They hold a "sharp-enough" edge to go ~3-4 months shaving twice a week. So yea... I buy about a pack of razors for about $5, once a YEAR and am happy with the results. Wife tried the feminised version of the same razors and discovered the same thing- far fewer razor replacements, She also goes several months on the same razor now. The company that makes these things is never going to get rich is they keep making such robust blades... Makes me wonder what kind of steel they are using. I had used gillette mach type blades for years before that, only to find that the blades only last a couple few weeks and were costly to replace. Not to mention, the cheapo Kroger cuts closer with less nick than the machs.

When shaving, I first give it a good once over everywhere to knock down the majority of it, then usually a once over in the opposite direction, then I use my non-shaving hand to feel around my face and find the "grain" of the hair and which way it is facing. I then shave into the grain anywhere where the first 2 passes did not catch it all. By the time I'm all done, most of my face will probably have 3-5 passes with the razor but there is usually plenty of lubrication still available from the shaving soap and there is no irritation from this. In fact, achieving that insanely close (it's like, below the skin close) shave seems to cause the least amount of irritation. It's when I'm in a hurry and do a half-way job or try to get by with an electric quicky that I get shaving irritation.

Oh.... and a shave using that method, will result in less of a "shadow" 48 hours later than just after using the electric.
    Last edited by mdocod; 03-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Flashaholic

I'm not exactly a morning person so I apreciate anything that allows me to sleep a nanosecond longer. I prefer one of those multiblade replaceable head razors. They last forever for me and seem to get the job done the quickest. On mornings I don't go to work, I often use a panasonic (Works better than my old Braun) wet/dry electric shaver. It takes longer and is not as close a shave as the blade but I can multitask (Shave and check emails, etc.).

Enlightened

I have both but tend to use the razor more.

Quote Originally Posted by sed6 View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had NO idea a forum like that existed! I've been using cartridge blades (and the occasional electric) all my life and I love the idea of trying out the old skool way of shaving. I've blown most of my afternoon crusing that forum for info and eBay for deals on DE's (learning the lingo already).
    LostinWV nailed it..

Badgerandblade actually turned me on to CPF.. one of the best group of guys I've ever had the pleasure of associating with and my shaving experience has gone from being a chore to an absolute pleasure. Warning, though.. ignorance isn't necessarily bliss, but it's a whole heckuva lot cheaper =)
    -\Visdom
    Last edited by Wisdom; 05-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123