razor blade or electric shaver?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
so ive been using a gilette mach3 razor blades for many years, and after recently hanging out with a couple of old friends, the subject came up about shaving, and they use electric shavers.

So, im just wondering what other CPFers prefer, and what they are using for shaving their face.

a good norelco cost about the same as a quality torch, ive been thinking of putting off my next torch for an electric shaver. LOL

StarHalo

Flashaholic
In my experience, in order for the shaver to give a shave that's as close as it's going to get, it takes as long as shaving with a blade. I'd rather spend the time getting the closer shave with a blade.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Me either. Never tried electric shaver before. Might want to try to compare which is better than the two.

ASheep

Enlightened
Razors for me. As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to buy a nice straight blade cutthroat razor. They are just so much better than the latest 10^6 blade count gilette mach 9000. :poke: They really prove you don't need more than 1 blade to do the job, if it's well maintained.

ama230

Enlightened
try and look at the wahl lithium ion shaver as it has all the attachments and can be had at 30bucks. It charges in an a hour and it lasts for a month on a single charge for me. Best quality too and ultra light and lasts forever.

check it out... then the razor i use the norelco 4 blade with trimmer and its powered by an eneloop aaa for touch ups. All can be had for fourty bucks and will get the job done.

hope this helps,
eric

jellydonut

Enlightened
I use the same thing you use. I remember I used an electric shaver when I was in my early teens because I'd keep cutting myself even with the multi-bladed safety razor. As I got used to using it I transitioned completely to the razor.

Pretty sure I'd be up for the same bloody (literally) learning curve if I went to a straight razor as I have ten thumbs so I'm just gonna stick to this thing.:fail:

choombak

Enlightened
+1 for razor - the electric shaver, no matter how good it is can't get as smooth a shave as the razor can. Secondly, a razor can be used for sculpting and accurate trimming if you maintain a wacky beard, which the electric shaver cannot.

If you are totally clean shaved, then the electric shaver can be helpful, since you don't have to worry about anything - just let it roam around and get the job done. I maintain a moustache, and a pencil thin straight beard, so 100% electric shaver is out for me. I use a combo many times, but I haven't yet got as close a shave as my super-sharp razor can.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blade. I tried all the best electric razors on the market but they can't match the result of a double /triple blade.

WHen I decided to go for a trimmed /sculptured beard more than fifteen years ago, I do use both... a Philips electric beard trimmer, and a triple blade Gillette throw-away razor.

Anthony

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened
Forget the gillette Mach system.
low quality and too expensive.

Merkur Vision razor with Feather safety blades is the way to go

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
Blades give the closest shave, but I'm way too clumsy and rushed in the morning to do it correctly- hence I use electric. I would say electric comes 90 - 95% close. Much cheaper than blades too.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
When I was working I used Norelcos most of the time. Probably spent $1000 or more on them. Retired now and back to blades. Badger brush and soap and double edge safety razor. Also use Gillette Fusion razors at times and they are excellent but you just can't beat the feel of an old fashioned butterfly double edge "safety razor". They will nick you a bit more than the Fusion so make sure you don't have any bumps on your face. They'll shave them smooth.

My mug that I have had since 1975 has an appropriate saying on the side.

"When a man is tired of pleasure he is tired of life". So true.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q: razor blade or electric shaver?

Both, I like the way a blade (Gillette) sweeps the neck clear of whiskers but prefer to avoid "nicks" on the face so I use my trusty old electric razor (Braun) to finish off :thumbsup:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do the same and have for years. I use a Braun (I've had Norelco and prefer Braun) to get most of the work done and then finish things off with a razor.

No cuts and by the time you get to the razor part it goes quickly.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
ELECTRIC! It was an amazing transition for me, I used to use razors but they were A:messy and annoying, with shaving cream B:time consuming C:sharp.
My cheap $30 electric with swiveling heads works great, gets it right down to the skin, and I can press it as hard as I want against my face with no cuts. I don't need to use shaving cream anymore, which is great. It's also much faster, having three spinning blades cut at once. Mine also has a built-in trimmer, for if you need to get rid of your beard or something :p

mrartillery

Enlightened
ELECTRIC! It was an amazing transition for me, I used to use razors but they were A:messy and annoying, with shaving cream B:time consuming C:sharp.
My cheap $30 electric with swiveling heads works great, gets it right down to the skin, and I can press it as hard as I want against my face with no cuts. I don't need to use shaving cream anymore, which is great. It's also much faster, having three spinning blades cut at once. Mine also has a built-in trimmer, for if you need to get rid of your beard or something :p

+1, I just could never learn to like a regular razor. Love my electric Norelco though, it shaves the closest of any electric Ive owned. Not to mention cleanup is a breeze, just push a button the top foil pops up and you wash it out with water, presto you're finished. :thumbsup: