BlackShadow
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: V3 Regulated Triple Discussion Thread

Default Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5 output question

Dear all, looking at the "Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere." thread by bigchelis, I wonder why this wonderful drop in produce more output when using 1 IMR 18650 compare to 2 IMR 18650. I'm so uneducated on technical stuff so pardon me for this question...

Surefire C2 UCL____Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5____1 IMR 18650________ 1260.8 ______ 1 sec____351_______8,775_____
    Brass+McClicky____________________________________ ______________ 1190.8_______30 sec______________________
    ___________________________4A at the tail________________________________________ 1155.4_______1 min______________________
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________1118.5_______2 min_______________________
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________ 1098.5_______3 min_______________________
    Surefire C2 UCL____Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5____2 IMR 18650________ 826.2 ______ 1 sec_________________________
    ____________________4500 WARM/Regulated________________________ 801.5_______30 sec______________________
    ____________________________1.32A at the tail_____________________________________ 793.1_______1 min______________________
    ______________________Moddoo Zero resistance Mod_________________________________783.1_______2 min_______________________
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________ 776.9_______3 min_______________________
    Last edited by erickzainal; 09-04-2010 at 02:32 AM. Reason: incomplete word

Default Re: Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5 output question

I think it may be due to the fact the triple runs unregulated when using 1 18650 cell, but Im not sure..

I wasnt even aware you could run an IMR cell to achieve 100% output. How much runtime from such a setup would be my questions.
    Last edited by Golfer2000; 09-04-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Default Re: V3 Regulated Triple Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    He's running the V2, a direct drive version of the Triple. On larger IMRs, its like a car without a gas petal (regulator), running to hot (fast), burning itself up.
    Thanks Dan. You're right. Mine has more juice...hehehe

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by erickzainal View Post
    ... I wonder why this wonderful drop in produce more output when using 1 IMR 18650 compare to 2 IMR 18650...
    There's a discussion thread on the V3 Triple XPG, so I'll merge your thread into that one.
    Resistance is futile...

Out of curiosity, would a V2 Direct Drive Triple be brighter if driven by one of the AW 2900 mAH 18650s due to their ability to handle up to 5.8 Amps?
    NO REMORSE

I'd say only slightly brighter but it won't be noticeable by the naked eye. The max discharge rate of the new 2900 mAH isn't all that much compared to the 2600 mAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraid View Post
    Out of curiosity, would a V2 Direct Drive Triple be brighter if driven by one of the AW 2900 mAH 18650s due to their ability to handle up to 5.8 Amps?

I made comparsion beamshots of my triple with different setups, using 1x18500, 1x17670, 2xIMR16340, 2x18500 and 2x18650. The tint is pretty ugly blue but only due to the white balance I chose. Reality looks much more pleasant. Actually there´s nothing to complain about the tint at all. Since the purpose of the pictures was to compare the difference in brightness with different setups I kept them with the ugly whitebalance blue.

Last edited by Eric242; 09-06-2010 at 12:38 PM.

I just took a walk with my two triples last night ('V2' cool DD & 'V3' neutral 1100 regulated). While the difference in tint is rather noticible inside (my earlier indoors beamshot comparison is here), I didn't notice that much of a difference when using them outside - looking at various trees, shrubbery, etc. I think that the tint choice comes down to individual user preferences rather than "this tint is much better than that tint" kind of thing. YMMV of course.

Regarding output, I also didn't notice any significant difference between the two - this V3 '1100' is definitely no slouch. I'm very happy with this '1100' and actually would prefer it to a '1400' for two reasons:
    • I can really use the extra runtime that the 1100 offers (~1:10 vs ~45 minutes?? Anybody have runtimes for the regulated 1100's on 2x18500 as well as a good estimate for the '1400' yet?)
    • My higher-output DD gets uncomfortably hot, and the '1400' regulated should be comparable in this regard. Holding the 1100 isn't unpleasant with regards to heat.
    The only thing is that I'd rather have would be a somewhat higher 'medium', ~200 lumens for ~10 hours (2x18500) is somewhat less useful for me than ~350 lumens for ~5 hours, for example. That hotspot is pretty wide and the ~200 lumen medium is a little thin for all that area IMO. 'Medium' is a difficult goal, 'max' and 'min' are easier to get some sort of concensus on IMO.

The 'low' is very nice, perhaps the output could be a little lower (yep I'm one of those low-low kind of people) but again, that beam has a reasonably wide area for those ~40 lumens and the expected runtime on low is phenomenal.

At any rate, nearly a perfect configuration, an awesome walking companion IMO.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 09-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by erickzainal View Post
    Dear all, looking at the "Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere." thread by bigchelis, I wonder why this wonderful drop in produce more output when using 1 IMR 18650 compare to 2 IMR 18650. I'm so uneducated on technical stuff so pardon me for this question...

Surefire C2 UCL____Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5____1 IMR 18650________ 1260.8 ______ 1 sec____351_______8,775_____
    Brass+McClicky____________________________________ ______________ 1190.8_______30 sec______________________
    ___________________________4A at the tail________________________________________ 1155.4_______1 min______________________
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________1118.5_______2 min_______________________
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________ 1098.5_______3 min_______________________
    Surefire C2 UCL____Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5____2 IMR 18650________ 826.2 ______ 1 sec_________________________
    ____________________4500 WARM/Regulated________________________ 801.5_______30 sec______________________
    ____________________________1.32A at the tail_____________________________________ 793.1_______1 min______________________
    ______________________Moddoo Zero resistance Mod_________________________________783.1_______2 min_______________________
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________ 776.9_______3 min_______________________
    See red area, single is pushing 4 amps and the double is only pushing 1.32. My guess was a Mode change.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallmcc View Post
    My guess was a Mode change.
    Again, those are two completely different units. One is a single-mode direct-drive @~3.7Vin (the "V2") while the other is a regulated unit from ~7.4Vin (the "V3), providing considerably less current (and less wattage) to the LED's.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 09-07-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Folks, I was fortunate enough to receive my Oveready 6P host, bored, orange cerakote, black steel crenelated bezel, ucl glass, and hard press McClicky switch. All this hardware playing host to a 'cool' triple that has a beautiful tint - not warm, but not blue or overly cool - just about perfect. Reminds me of a 5700k tint.

The preflash is NO BIG DEAL and it only happens occasionally. And this thing is bright - all I could do was take it into a storage room to check it out, but it has the sweetest HUGE spot that will surely throw.

If you click on my link for "My Lights", you'll know I love customs (and spend too much money on them.) 2 Tri Vs, multiple McGizmos - Mac's Customs - and more - and I love 'em all.

But this little package has turned my head! When I saw that the drop ins were in stock, I couldn't resist buying one, and I'm glad I did. It will likely become a regular in my 'dog walking' line up of players.

The best part was the great service and communication by Tom, Dan and Sarah. No doubt many are already aware of how great they are to do business with, but if you are not, don't hesitate become an Oveready customer!! They are great!

(Now if they could just make a titanium host....)

When can we expect more 3 level triples in stock.

Also what is this 1400 lumen triple I'm reading about?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Folks, I was fortunate enough to receive my Oveready 6P host, bored, orange cerakote, black steel crenelated bezel, ucl glass, and hard press McClicky switch. All this hardware playing host to a 'cool' triple that has a beautiful tint - not warm, but not blue or overly cool - just about perfect. Reminds me of a 5700k tint.

The preflash is NO BIG DEAL and it only happens occasionally. And this thing is bright - all I could do was take it into a storage room to check it out, but it has the sweetest HUGE spot that will surely throw.

If you click on my link for "My Lights", you'll know I love customs (and spend too much money on them.) 2 Tri Vs, multiple McGizmos - Mac's Customs - and more - and I love 'em all.

But this little package has turned my head! When I saw that the drop ins were in stock, I couldn't resist buying one, and I'm glad I did. It will likely become a regular in my 'dog walking' line up of players.

The best part was the great service and communication by Tom, Dan and Sarah. No doubt many are already aware of how great they are to do business with, but if you are not, don't hesitate become an Oveready customer!! They are great!

(Now if they could just make a titanium host....)

Much appreciated my friend.

Titanium is coming. maybe when the XM hits the market...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    When can we expect more 3 level triples in stock.

Also what is this 1400 lumen triple I'm reading about?

Thanks
    There is 1 more 3-mode cool triple in stock right now.
    http://www.oveready.com/led-light-en.../prod_183.html

The 1400 lumen model is still in development.
    no definite release date yet.

Interesting observation that supports the beam shots a couple of posts up from this one. I have a home made integrating sphere and use an Extech EA31 meter. This meter reads only to 20,000 lux (!!) and in my sphere that is approximately 500 lumen. Obviously, it won't read the triple...

So I take the meter and hold the light approximately 18 inches from the sensor - with an 18650 it is reading 1435 lux - based on another light I own that I know is reading 500 lumen, I can deduce that the light is running at around 800 lumen.

However, for 'grins' I dropped in 2 fresh AW 16340 IMRs (unprotected) and much to my surprise, the reading jumped to 1768 - 23% higher than the reading with the 18650!! Wow. That's close to 1000 lumen, and I'm using a McClicky tail switch! I am soon going to own a zero resistance tail switch (thanks, Dan!) and cannot wait to see the difference with it.

Incidentally, I double checked my readings. I held the light under a shelf, butted flush against it to ensure the distance was exactly the same. I moved the spot around until it read the absolute brightest with both batteries. I am 100% confident in the relative difference.

This light is a major league keeper. Just a HUGE spot of light, beautiful tint, just lights up everything. The smoothness and evenness of the beam reminds me of a Sundrop XRU - only about 25 times brighter!

I'm a fan!

Interesting observation that supports the beam shots a couple of posts up from this one. I have a home made integrating sphere and use an Extech EA31 meter. This meter reads only to 20,000 lux (!!) and in my sphere that is approximately 500 lumen. Obviously, it won't read the triple...

So I take the meter and hold the light approximately 18 inches from the sensor - with an 18650 it is reading 1435 lux - based on another light I own that I know is reading 500 lumen, I can deduce that the light is running at around 800 lumen.

However, for 'grins' I dropped in 2 fresh AW 16340 IMRs (unprotected) and much to my surprise, the reading jumped to 1768 - 23% higher than the reading with the 18650!! Wow. That's close to 1000 lumen, and I'm using a McClicky tail switch! I am soon going to own a zero resistance tail switch (thanks, Dan!) and cannot wait to see the difference with it.

Incidentally, I double checked my readings. I held the light under a shelf, butted flush against it to ensure the distance was exactly the same. I moved the spot around until it read the absolute brightest with both batteries. I am 100% confident in the relative difference.

This light is a major league keeper. Just a HUGE spot of light, beautiful tint, just lights up everything. The smoothness and evenness of the beam reminds me of a Sundrop XRU - only about 25 times brighter!

I'm a fan!
    You could also use you fc readings and convert to lux. 1fc=1lux at one meter.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post

Bill
    I learned something - thank you. So if I position the light 1 meter from the sensor and use the footcandle readings, that will be the same as lumen...

Cool - thank you!

You're right on with your estimations.

My sphere shows about 950 OTF with a cool V3 Triple.

Going to send one to bigchelis and compare #s

Here is an example using my Extech 403125 which is the same, essentially, as the Meterman LM631. Measuring lux at one meter with one of my lights I got 2550 lux, and fc scale at 1 meter read 250.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post

Bill
    1fc ≈ 10.8 lux, at any distance.

I learned something - thank you. So if I position the light 1 meter from the sensor and use the footcandle readings, that will be the same as lumen...

Cool - thank you!
    No....
    Outside your integrating sphere, and without additional information, a single measurement from a lux meter simply cannot give you total luminous flux.
    I pledge to be Shelf Queen-free by 01/01/11. "Use 'em!"
    My Builds: Mag623 ; RoomSweeper Clone

Quote Originally Posted by ejot View Post
    1fc ≈ 10.8 lux, at any distance.

No....
    Outside your integrating sphere, and without additional information, a single measurement from a lux meter simply cannot give you total luminous flux.
    Understood. Anyone who has ever read any of my information about my sphere knows that I make no claims for accuracy, but it's interesting that the lights that have known, trusted ratings match up.

AS for 1fc = 10.8 lux at any distance? That makes sense, but the question was how LUMEN ratings matched up to FC ratings. Regardless, I am happy to leave the ratings to Bigchelis and others who have more proven accuracy - I just enjoy reading the ratings relative to other lights.

AS for 1fc = 10.8 lux at any distance? That makes sense, but the question was how LUMEN ratings matched up to FC ratings.
    Yes I know, that's what I was answering when I said you can't determine luminous flux (LUMENS) from a single illuminance measurement (FC, or LUX).

I'd love to see the relative difference between 1x18650 vs 2xIMR in your sphere, based on Dan's description I would expect a jump more like 33% in total flux. You can find meters that do 200k lux pretty cheap.

I'm very pleased with the V3 3-level-cool-white drop-in that arrived today.

It went straight into my Oveready stealth custom-black-HA C3 with black-steel crenelated bezel and zero resistance tailcap.

I am using 2 AW 18500 li-ions and the output is very impressive.

Does anyone know whether using 2 AW IMR 18500s would make any difference to the output?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post

Does anyone know whether using 2 AW IMR 18500s would make any difference to the output?
    Hopefully someone who has more knowledge than I have will answer - but I can speak to the measurable, but more importantly, NOTICEABLE difference going from 1 AW 18650 2600mAh to 2 AW 16340 550mAh IMRs. I measured 23% increase on my meter, but outside in real use this morning the difference was dramatic - especially on lo and medium.

So to add to Daniel's question, would 1 IMR18650 provide more output than 1 'plain' 18650? Oveready has 1600mAh AW IMR18650 batteries in stock...

Hopefully someone who has more knowledge than I have will answer - but I can speak to the measurable, but more importantly, NOTICEABLE difference going from 1 AW 18650 2600mAh to 2 AW 16340 550mAh IMRs. I measured 23% increase on my meter, but outside in real use this morning the difference was dramatic - especially on lo and medium.

So to add to Daniel's question, would 1 IMR18650 provide more output than 1 'plain' 18650? Oveready has 1600mAh AW IMR18650 batteries in stock...
    It needs 2xLiIon voltage for full regulation, so I *think* any one-cell configuration (eg, 1x18650, 1xIMR18650) will have the "noticeably less" output than any proper two-cell configuration (eg, 2xIMR16340).
    Just my guess though ....

Makes perfect sense to me - it's very noticeable how much brighter my triple is on all three levels using 2 IMR16340s versus that one 18650....

Makes perfect sense to me - it's very noticeable how much brighter my triple is on all three levels using 2 IMR16340s versus that one 18650....
    The only drawback is that the runtime would be pretty short at that very much brighter level because of the low capacities of the IMR16340s. Also, because they're unprotected, I'd imagine it would be easy to run them until they're depleted to the point of no return.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    The only drawback is that the runtime would be pretty short at that very much brighter level because of the low capacities of the IMR16340s. Also, because they're unprotected, I'd imagine it would be easy to run them until they're depleted to the point of no return.
    Totally agree. The nice thing for me is that I use the light primarily for an early morning dog walk that takes me about 20-25 minutes. I run it mostly on medium, but jump around to high when I want mega bright or just want to giggle uncontrollably at how bright the darn thing is!!

This morning I measured the 2 IMRs after the aforementioned walk and one read 3.89 and the other 3.9, so I think I'll be fine as long as I charge them after each walk. I have several sets and I'll rotate them, too.

The thing is that 2x18500's have so much of an advantage over 1xIMR18650 or 2xIMR16340, ~double the capacity of the former and ~triple the capacity of the latter, for a light of only slightly greater length.

IMO the SF C3's (and to a letter extent, the 9P's) are a perfect match for this module.

My night walks are generally about an hour, so I'm at the ragged end of the runtime for 2x18500.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 09-11-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    - Winston Churchill

Okay - "home alone" with the dogs and took out the Macro lens and the Canon MKII camera for photo shoots of some lights - most of all the Moddoo / ElectronGuru "stuff". LOVE the triples.

After I post this I'm going to walk the dogs. What light will I take is the question?

I'm SOLD on the neutral tints. I found out the very cool tints in ABSOLUTE darkness (inside industrial facility with no power) give you very little depth perception - I was using a 6500K SST-50 (since sold) whereas my superintandant was using a mag charger. It was actually a bit scary. WOW - what a difference.

I'll post the photos them come back through and fill in comments.

I have to note - the bad thing about clickies is they can tun on fairly easily - you notice it a few minutes later I can tell you that.
    The open holster by the chairback is for my camera.

First Version triple 3 level (think this is the warm one) - sniper grey cerakote.

Second version triple 3 level , 6P HAIII

As you will notice these both have the surefire clicky tails - and these won't be complete until Moddo finishes the Ti Tails with the slots for the BIG trits (& the three holes)...

Well this one could have been rotated a few degrees. Neutral Triple XPG Regulated (single level). My earlier triple got booted out of the cerakoted body and the A19 extender was added. McClicky in this one.

Neutral triple XPG three level. 9P HAIII & McClicky

M2-50 (neutral) & zero rez tail

Triples. I think I have one of each "version" with the exception of the direct drive XP-G.

Then with the M2-50 in the background

There is pulp (as in "pulp & paper") on some of the lights in the photo. I've EDC'd all of the lights at work with the exception of the XP-G triple 3 level (9P). My preference is really to carry the M2-50 in my back pocket for a "spot" and then I have a L1 based MC-E with a low & high for "flood" - the perfect combination.

However - the triples really create the "wall of light" - but not "soft" like a flood. So - a 3 level triple combined with the small laser on my keychain for pointing things out is also really "perfect"

The original 6P XP-E triples are very very nice for their size. When the Ti tails come in they will really be "the bomb"
    Last edited by nfetterly; 09-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nfetterly View Post
    I'm SOLD on the neutral tints. I found out the very cool tints in ABSOLUTE darkness (inside industrial facility with no power) give you very little depth perception - I was using a 6500K SST-50 (since sold) whereas my superintandant was using a mag charger. It was actually a bit scary. WOW - what a difference.
    Hard to beat a mag charger or streamlight Ultrastinger for throw and depth perception/contrast. That is one of my quandaries re cool LEDs vs incan, no matter what the output of either. It just seems that the closer to the CRI of incans the better the LED is for recognition at distance, or the more powerful the LED is + a nice tight beam there seems to be some parity between incans and LEDs. When I lived in the country I would compare both incan and LED, and the tighter the beam (lux) and the higher the lumens were the LED would do just fine and bring out the colors as well as the incans, but it took more lumens to match the incans. Just an observation on my part, and to note that 95% of my light are LED.

Bill