IMR 10440?

bmcgators98

Enlightened
Has anyone had any experience with these -- LiMN IMR 10440 3.7v 350mAh ? They are being sold on VaporFlow dot com. I have done a couple searches and they don't appear to be sold anywhere else.

I am thinking about purchasing a Peak Eiger (6 power) , and would like to run a lith ion battery, I think I would be more comfortable with an IMR or protected cell in this application

Also will these work with a Pila IBC charger?

Thanks

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. Looks like its designed for e-cigs. I highly doubt the capacity is 350mAh. Id say if its IMR then the max is probably 250mAh.

Pila IBC I believe has a fairly high charge current and would not be recommended for these tiny cells.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Flea bay ,,, 4x10440 for less than $7 USD shipped ...

Im running a Trustfire 10440 ATM in a Maratac AAA ... I dont run these small lights for any length of time , so capacity is not really that important .

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Flea bay ,,, 4x10440 for less than $7 USD shipped ...

Im running a Trustfire 10440 ATM in a Maratac AAA ... I dont run these small lights for any length of time , so capacity is not really that important .

IMR or LiCo? Also I wouldn't advise running a 10440 in a Maratac as I believe it direct drives it and current will be around 700-1000mA+ which is over 2C discharge. Quite dangerious if you ask me... :poof:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually :

Med 82Lux 0.31A [ 1.27W ]
Lo 7Lux 0.03A [ 0.123W ]
Hi 270Lux [ I checked and rechecked ] 1.2A [ 4.92W ]

I might run High for 10 seconds ... If I kill the cell , I dont care , there almost the same price as AA's , but 10sec's , I dont see :poof: ..
I run Lo and medium 99.9% of the time .... :twothumbs

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
IM...... Also I wouldn't advise running a 10440 in a Maratac as I believe it direct drives it and current will be around 700-1000mA+ which is over 2C discharge. Quite dangerious if you ask me... :poof:

There are a LOT of CPFers running 10440s in their Maratac/ITP AAA lights (myself included). It doesn't seem to cause too many problems as long as you restrict the use of the (insanely bright direct drive) Hi mode to short bursts only - the lights do get hot quite quickly and I'm sure it isn't good for either the LED or the battery, but they seem to cope :devil:

Note that I still haven't found a protected 10440 that fits properly in these lights, so you also need to keep an eye on how discharged the battery is getting and recharge before it gets too low.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually :

Med 82Lux 0.31A [ 1.27W ]
Lo 7Lux 0.03A [ 0.123W ]
Hi 270Lux [ I checked and rechecked ] 1.2A [ 4.92W ]

I might run High for 10 seconds ... If I kill the cell , I dont care , there almost the same price as AA's , but 10sec's , I dont see :poof: ..
I run Lo and medium 99.9% of the time .... :twothumbs

I'd be more worrided about blowing a chunk of flesh out of your hand then killing the cell. Your running a LiCo cell @ 4C. Not smart. :eek:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
FWW. I just ran my iTP A3 EOS for 2 mins with a 10440 li-ion Ultrafire. The light did get hot toward the end, but no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to run it for even more than 2 mins, but perhaps give it a rest along the way for a short period--i.e. change to M. The output on medium is about the same as that for a NiMH battery on high. It can run full out on M with only a warming effect.

JDest

Newly Enlightened
There are confirmed cases of CPFers using exclusively 10440's in their AAA lights that do not support that voltage (Maratac, ITP A3, Preon 1). None, however have reported using their lights on high for more than 5 min and is of course not recommended to do so for more than that length of time. However, for short bursts ONLY, there seems to be little issue with using 10440 cells.

Is it overdriving the emitter? Of course. Will the manufacturers accept warranty claims on lights destroyed by using unsupported batteries? Almost certainly not. Is there any real danger? Well anything is possible, but it seems to be that using that using a little common sense and judgment, by determining how hot the light is in your hand, is a fairly effective way of preventing injury to oneself or damage to the light. (Basically, if the light is beomcing uncomfortable to hold, it needs to be turned off.)

Are there safer ways to operate flashlights? Of course. But at this point, I see no reason to declare it unsafe to members with real amounts of experience with flashlights (myself NOT included).

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just because nobody has injured themselves with the setup doesn't mean it is safe. Probably the biggest danger is charging these abused cells, though. The risk would increase with the amount of time the cell was used above 2C. Damage occurs whether the cell gets hot or not.

I gave up the practice. If I charged cells in a metal box or outdoors maybe I would have kept doing it, but probably not. Lithium primary AAAs are much safer, if not as bright. NiZn AAA when they come out will be the safest.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's also important to note that the effects of abusing LiCo (or any Li-Ion cell chemistry) cells are cumulative. Just because you got away with it once, or 20 times doesn't mean that the cell isn't becoming unstable.

One of the problems with LiCo cells that have become unstable, is that they can not only become a danger when charging, but at anytime after the cell is abused. You could have a "vent with flame incident" while you are using them, while charging, when your light is stored in your dresser drawer, or in your pocket.

An unstable Li-Ion cell is just that, unstable. Again, the damage is cumulative, while something could go wrong the first time you abuse the cell, it is much more likely to happen at a later time. If your lucky, and what probably happens most of the time, is that the cell will loose performance and you'll end up recycling the cell before anything bad happens, but.......

An IMR 10440 cell would likely not be a problem in an AAA light. It is important to realize though, that IMR and LiFePO4 cells are "safer", but not really "safe" if abused. The fireworks are just somewhat less likely and more subdued. Even these cells however, can vent with considerable excitement if abused. There are pictures of the aftermath of such events on the R/C forums. So, it's best not to abuse these cells either.

Dave

Last edited:

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be clear, are IMR or LiFePo 10440s available or rumored to be coming?

I'd certainly like to use a LiIon in my L0D if one ever comes out rated for the (1.5A?) current.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what they say they are. Good question.

By all appearances, it looks just like a LiCo cell, blue wrapper and all, except it has "IMR" printed on the label. There really isn't anyway to tell, for sure.

As, jasonck08 mentioed earlier, it's unlikely that it would have a capacity anywhere near 600mAh. There aren't any 10440 LiCo cells that are even 300mAh. AW's old blue wrapper ones came close though. Most other 10440 LiCo cells (BangFire, CrapFire etc.) are around 200-250mAh. I'd guess if Vapor's 10440 is really a LiMn cell, that it's capacity would be around 150mAh. Vapor's "own" 18650 IMR cell is only 1400mAh, which falls more inline with actual probable capacity. It would be hard to believe that the IMR 10440 cell had 40% the capacity of an 18650!

Dave