The Big Green Egg......

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Large a couple months ago. I like it a lot. I haven't used my gasser since I got it. I already went through 40lbs of lump cooking brisket, pork butt, couple whole chickens, baby back ribs, steaks, burgers, sausages, brats, swordfish, salmon, corn on cob, potatoes. Next on the list is prime rib roast, meatloaf, shrimp, baked beans and maybe a pizza.

Any other Eggheads out there?

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Love mine, had it for over a year now, sold the gasser last summer before it ended up in the landfill like all the past ones.

Do a pizza, we do fairly cheap thin crust frozen ones that we jazz up with some extra toppings, once you do one in the egg, you will never put one in the oven again, i promise.

Best grill I have ever had hands down and I expect it to last at least 15-20 years.

Happy Grilling

Brian

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Almost forgot, you mentioned prime rib roast. We do a English traditional dinner every Christmas that included yorkshire pudding, roasted potatos, green peas, bisto gravy, and of course prime rib roast. Since we have only a single oven in the house I now do the prime rib roast on the egg, did a trial run first, then one this past Christmas and plan one this holiday for sure. It worked out very well each time and allowed us much more flexibility in the kitchen. Cajun whole turkey is also one I do now that friends ask for.

Going to grill some Italian marinated Tilapia on the egg tonight... yum

Cheers

Brian

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a used Large Big Green Egg a couple weeks ago on Craigslist. I 'd always been intrigued by them, but couldn't see spending that kind of money for something that would only see occasional use. Of course when I saw a large BGE with the stand and shelves for $400, there wasn't much to think about. :twothumbs

I figured I would try it out, and if I didn't love it I could just pass it along for what I paid with no problem.

So far I've only done low and slow BBQ chicken, but I don't think this Egg will be for sale anytime soon.:) I'm looking forward to making some pulled pork and also trying pizza on it too!

Peter

bitslammer

Enlightened
Been one for a few years. I have n XL, a MED and a mini. Love cooking on the all.

Love doing lobster tails on the Mini.

4673138794_796b52e105_z_d.jpg

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Why is the Green Egg better than a plain charcoal grill like a Weber?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Weber or any other grill, I have had several and loved them all (kind of like Wifes.. :whistle:)

But since you asked...

Let me count the ways... :devil:

• Fast lighting -- ready to cook in 10 minutes with no lighter fluid
  • Ceramic walls retain heat with accurate temperature control and no hot spots
  • Fuel efficient so there is no need to add more charcoal while cooking; unburned charcoal can be reused
  • Constant tending not required; with enclosed cooking there are no
    grease flare-ups
  • Withstands temperature extremes from below 0° to 1800°F
  • Can be used year around, even in freezing temperatures and rain
  • Surface stays cooler and is safer around children than metal grills
  • Weatherproof ceramics won't rust
  • Handsome, decorative and unique design
  • Produces the juiciest, most succulent food you'll ever taste

To list a few... Basically its based on the Kamado design from Japan that dates back over 3000 years ago. Then it was used as a steamer (wiki source). Skip to modern days and you basically have a ceramic wood fired oven (hence the great pizza) that can be used as a grill, smoker, or oven. I also find that it maintains the moisture better on hard to grill items like boneless chicken breast and pork tender loin, both of which I have never been able to cook well on a standard gas/charcoal grill. When using it as a smoker I have gone over 12 hours on one load of lump charcoal burning at about 230deg.

Grilling steak, I usually heat it up to around 700 deg sear the steak, remove the steak, wrap it, and cool the grill down to 400 deg (only takes a few min) then finish...

Weber, although a great made in the USA product ( the Egg is made in Georgia by the way ) is like all others, stamped from thin steel, which due to the heat and exposure eventually rusts out and ends up in the land fill. The egg on the other hand, being ceramic will last years and years, the few metal parts are very solid and not exposed to the heat will and will likely last years as well.

Thats just my take, in my dealings with charcoal and gas grills over the past 15 years I figure I have sent at least 5 to the land fill, figure a average price of say $200 (some gassers are expensive) and there you have the price of a egg which should last at least that long or longer.

YMMV

Brian

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
bthrel - Thanks. To get the most out of the Green Egg, you would have to use the cover. Otherwise it is just a plain old grill, correct?

If so, that would explain the crappy demo I attended. The demo was all about the Green Egg and everything was overcooked and dry. But everything was done with the grill open. At the time, I assumed two things. The demonstration team can't cook and the Green Egg isn't special.

bitslammer

Enlightened
bthrel At the time, I assumed two things. The demonstration team can't cook and the Green Egg isn't special.

You're probably correct about the demo team if they only cooked with the lid open. I'd would however say you might be able to get the Egg to a little higher temp. even with it open as the ceramic is going to "reflect" all that heat back into the grill and up to the cooking grid where a regular metal grill will radiate much of the heat out of the body of th grill.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
bthrel - Thanks. To get the most out of the Green Egg, you would have to use the cover. Otherwise it is just a plain old grill, correct?

If so, that would explain the crappy demo I attended. The demo was all about the Green Egg and everything was overcooked and dry. But everything was done with the grill open. At the time, I assumed two things. The demonstration team can't cook and the Green Egg isn't special.

Thats correct, ONLY time I have the lid open is when I sear a steak (about 90 seconds a side at 700deg) , after that its always closed. Having it closed allows the fine temp control, keeps the moisture in and prevents the flare ups. Heck, when I do a Boston But, The LID never comes open once its shut till the pork hits 200 deg internal (no peeking).

Brian

DimmerD

Enlightened
I have a Weber that is 20 years old and it just started rusting last year. And thats because it's been uncovered for the past 3 years, no place to keep it covered here for now.
The Egg has always intrigued me though.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
I have a Weber that is 20 years old and it just started rusting last year. And thats because it's been uncovered for the past 3 years, no place to keep it covered here for now.
The Egg has always intrigued me though.

A true testament to how they made them back in the "old days". :thumbsup:

Brian

P.S. If anyone wants I will gladly share all the info I have on cooking on the egg, mainly some Internet links to recipes and personal experience, I believe in sharing not hording info like some of the hardcore BBQ guys do. But then again, Im not looking for a grand master championship prize check either.. LOL

DimmerD

Enlightened
A true testament to how they made them back in the "old days". :thumbsup:

Brian

P.S. If anyone wants I will gladly share all the info I have on cooking on the egg, mainly some Internet links to recipes and personal experience, I believe in sharing not hording info like some of the hardcore BBQ guys do. But then again, Im not looking for a grand master championship prize check either.. LOL

Oh so the newer ones aren't as durable?
I agree about not hording recipes, if you keep it a secret and die so does the recipe. I always share my "secret" recipes, hell someone may actually change it for the better, you never know!

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Oh so the newer ones aren't as durable?

Honestly I couldn't say, I was making a lame attempt at being funny. According to my friends and wife most of my attempts at being funny are lame... But they do like my grilling.

Brian

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the first chicken (Spatchcock) cook I did. Best tasting chicken I ever had.

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

IMG_4587.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bthrel, do you have the Adjustable Rig? I got it after the Egg. In that chicken shot you can see I was just using roasting rack to raise the grid. With the AR you have a lot more options.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Bthrel, do you have the Adjustable Rig? I got it after the Egg. In that chicken shot you can see I was just using roasting rack to raise the grid. With the AR you have a lot more options.

Too funny, was just talking to my son and wife. They were complaining that i had too many gadgets and it was hard to buy presents for. There was a BGE catalog on the table and I commented that the extender was something I needed.... Great looking chicken man.

Cheers

Brian